Looking for P/U recommendations for a new LP Classic...

speyfly

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a 2020 LP Classic that has the PCB with push pulls/coil taping. Not crazy about the unbalanced pickups now that I've played her for a few months. I will probably get rid of the PCB but want a pickup that will work with either PCB or point to point wiring.

The pickup specs are simple. vintage wound potted PAF alnico II's, zebra's would be nice, don't want overwound hi output.

The stock pickups are 61T/61R

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

Last edited:

speyfly

Reaction score
I see that I posted this in the wrong part of the forum.

Never mind, the guys on the Marshall forum are more interested in helping someone with a question.

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
I have a new Translucent Cherry and I’ve ordered a set of SD CS Angus Young pickups in Aged Chrome for It
I also bought a whole new wiring harness to go with the new pickups
Hopefully get them next week and I can get them installed and rock out !!

DaveSG

Reaction score
Hold on, give some guys a chance to respond! (although the Marshall forum certainly is helpful as well).

I only have experience w/ a handful of PAF replicas, but I have really enjoyed my Sheptones, and the VIP Sarabucker I have in the neck of my custom guitar right now is probably the deepest, clearest sounding pickup I've heard.

You probably know all the big guns - Wizz, Holmes, OX4, Throbak, etc

There are also a lot of great smaller winders...Rewind, Doyles Coils, ECP...have you seen the Doug and Pat show? They have hours upon hours of testing all flavors of PAF replicas and then comparing them to either a '58 Goldtop or a '60 burst under the same conditions. Lots of good material for quiet nights.

If you haven't watched all of these, I would start here -

There are a lot of builder that are renowned, but VERY difficult to find today (OTPG comes to mind), so its good to keep up on smaller builders. Then again, it might be worth it to bite the bullet and just save up for a '62-63' Pat sticker pickup, which will set you back prob around $1600 in todays market, but then you are getting the real thing, albeit w/ a different sticker.

speyfly

Reaction score
Wow! Asks for help and then gets pissy when people don't do his research for him in the timeframe he desires.
Not gettin pissy, just stating facts. Done the research and gave you the parameters, just looking for what other players are using and why. You can watch all of the videos you want but I'm looking for personal experiences, not canned promotions of product or personality.

I have a new Translucent Cherry and I’ve ordered a set of SD CS Angus Young pickups in Aged Chrome for It
I also bought a whole new wiring harness to go with the new pickups
Hopefully get them next week and I can get them installed and rock out !!
I would like to hear about your assessment of the mod when your done.

Thx,

Hold on, give some guys a chance to respond! (although the Marshall forum certainly is helpful as well).

I only have experience w/ a handful of PAF replicas, but I have really enjoyed my Sheptones, and the VIP Sarabucker I have in the neck of my custom guitar right now is probably the deepest, clearest sounding pickup I've heard.

You probably know all the big guns - Wizz, Holmes, OX4, Throbak, etc

There are also a lot of great smaller winders...Rewind, Doyles Coils, ECP...have you seen the Doug and Pat show? They have hours upon hours of testing all flavors of PAF replicas and then comparing them to either a '58 Goldtop or a '60 burst under the same conditions. Lots of good material for quiet nights.

If you haven't watched all of these, I would start here -

There are a lot of builder that are renowned, but VERY difficult to find today (OTPG comes to mind), so its good to keep up on smaller builders. Then again, it might be worth it to bite the bullet and just save up for a '62-63' Pat sticker pickup, which will set you back prob around $1600 in todays market, but then you are getting the real thing, albeit w/ a different sticker.
Yeah, I've watched every video I could find, so much is marketing and it's justified, lots of competition. I have a set of 2 wire PAF alnico II's that I had built for me, creamy and sweet but can't use them with coil tap. The builder has since gone away so I'm trying to find a similar pickup without spending big bucks for a custom build.

Sinster

Reaction score
Never mind, the guys on the Marshall forum are more interested in helping someone with a question.
Relax. You're not the only person asking questions on the internet or even on these forums.

Check out Sigil Pickups..

Also there are hundreds of pickups makers to choose from. If want to go the inexpensive route.. get yourself some GFS.. If not Seymour Ducan, I like and recommend the Seth Lovers or DiMarzio, I like and recommend the 100th anniversary. Or just wind a set yourself.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Not gettin pissy, just stating facts. Done the research and gave you the parameters, just looking for what other players are using and why. You can watch all of the videos you want but I'm looking for personal experiences, not canned promotions of product or personality.
You absolutely were getting pissy. Nobody here owes you anything and considering that you were the one asking people to take time out of their day to help you for free, your attitude is completely unwarranted.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Lots of 4-conducter options. If you don't have a tight timeframe, you can easily spec out something.

VIP pickups did me right, had mine (4 conductor) in about 2 weeks, awesome stuff. My Sheptone (also 4 conductor) is great!

Check out most of the current builders and see what options they have.

Wolfetone, Stew Mac Parson's St, Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, ECP Hallow Grounds, Rewind, VIP, Sheptone, High Order, SIgil, Montys, Mojotone, Tyson, Brandonwound, WCR, Lollar...so many options, impossible to recommend a single certain one. All sorts of different flavors. Some build to be the absolute most authentic in materials and practices, others try to be the most authentic in sound, regardless of materials or build. Some have sets off the shelf, others will build something to order.

You could probably take that 2 conductor pickup set and give them over to someone's talented hands and they could probably turn them into 4 conductor?

jeffy

Reaction score
I've magnet swapped with my Burstbucker Pro's with AlNiCo 2's, converted my PCB to '50s, and went PIO. Ended up swapping my BB1 & BB2's with some small winders pickups Went back and forth many times as it was easy to swap with the quick connects. Just recently pulled all of the electronics out and went with a Jonsey DIY harness and some NOS Russian PIO's. Went with some Seymour Duncan Respec'd Antiquities. Love them so far.

If you go the 4-con route you'll want to make sure the winder can put the right connector on them or else you're going to have to do it. It's kind of a PITA to do as they're really small. Otherwise, you can get some premade pigtails that you can solder together. Honestly though, if you're not using any of the features the PCB offers get rid of it and go with braidedd wire.

moreles

Reaction score
Aged Chrome
? This is a thing? Chrome is hard as heck. How do they "age" it? Sulphuric acid and a belt sander... you know, regular playwear... if you live on Mercury or Uranus

speyfly

Reaction score
You absolutely were getting pissy. Nobody here owes you anything and considering that you were the one asking people to take time out of their day to help you for free, your attitude is completely unwarranted.
So now I need to compensate you for your time, writing your thread. Where do I send the check?

Relax. You're not the only person asking questions on the internet or even on these forums.

Check out Sigil Pickups..

Also there are hundreds of pickups makers to choose from. If want to go the inexpensive route.. get yourself some GFS.. If not Seymour Ducan, I like and recommend the Seth Lovers or DiMarzio, I like and recommend the 100th anniversary. Or just wind a set yourself.
I really appreciate the help, there are so many pickups to choose from, personal experiences are most helpful. I've narrowed it down to a few of the bigger pickup companies but would prefer to support the smaller builders, once again recommendations are most appreciated and you have done just that. Thx.

BTW, the Seth Lovers would be great but they're not potted and only 2 conductor so coil tapping is out.

Lots of 4-conducter options. If you don't have a tight timeframe, you can easily spec out something.

VIP pickups did me right, had mine (4 conductor) in about 2 weeks, awesome stuff. My Sheptone (also 4 conductor) is great!

Check out most of the current builders and see what options they have.

Wolfetone, Stew Mac Parson's St, Seymour Duncan Seth Lover, ECP Hallow Grounds, Rewind, VIP, Sheptone, High Order, SIgil, Montys, Mojotone, Tyson, Brandonwound, WCR, Lollar...so many options, impossible to recommend a single certain one. All sorts of different flavors. Some build to be the absolute most authentic in materials and practices, others try to be the most authentic in sound, regardless of materials or build. Some have sets off the shelf, others will build something to order.

You could probably take that 2 conductor pickup set and give them over to someone's talented hands and they could probably turn them into 4 conductor?
This is what I was hoping for, to get an honest assessment and personal experiences. Some of the builders mentioned above I'm familiar with and some not. Not in a huge rush to do this and want to know that I've covered the bases when I pull the trigger. And waiting a few weeks with a boutique builder is not a problem.

You've given me more info to digest, thx a bunch for the help.

I've magnet swapped with my Burstbucker Pro's with AlNiCo 2's, converted my PCB to '50s, and went PIO. Ended up swapping my BB1 & BB2's with some small winders pickups Went back and forth many times as it was easy to swap with the quick connects. Just recently pulled all of the electronics out and went with a Jonsey DIY harness and some NOS Russian PIO's. Went with some Seymour Duncan Respec'd Antiquities. Love them so far.

If you go the 4-con route you'll want to make sure the winder can put the right connector on them or else you're going to have to do it. It's kind of a PITA to do as they're really small. Otherwise, you can get some premade pigtails that you can solder together. Honestly though, if you're not using any of the features the PCB offers get rid of it and go with braidedd wire.
I'm going to do a mag swap, A2's coming from Stew Mac but I'm still going to order a set once I decide on who's pickups I want to try out. Fralin Pure P.A.F. are at the top of the list so far.

If I pulled the PCB It would make things much easier, had many offers to sell it but will keep it to have just in case I ever want to switch back.

speyfly

Reaction score

dro

Reaction score
Seymore Duncan

Check out his site. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

If you buy Gibson I'd stay away from splitting pups. Also stay away from aftermarket.

Get stock pups that have been removed from a guitar.

speyfly

Reaction score
Seymore Duncan

Check out his site. Lots of good stuff to choose from.

If you buy Gibson I'd stay away from splitting pups. Also stay away from aftermarket.

Get stock pups that have been removed from a guitar.
Thanks dro, I've been all over SD's site and many others as well. With all of the p/u choices, p/u options and the many manufacturer's it's getting blurry trying to weed through it all. Guess I need to build a spread sheet just to keep track.

dro

Reaction score
I like SD's 59's
But I like a more stock Les Paul sound.
Antiquity's work too.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
So now I need to compensate you for your time, writing your thread. Where do I send the check?
I can tell you where you should shove it. I'll do that free of charge.

And no. I'm not asking you to compensate me, or anyone else for that matter. I'm just saying you should lose the sense of entitlement when asking people to take the time out of their day to help you.

Tldr? Don't be a dick. It's simple.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a 2020 LP Classic that has the PCB with push pulls/coil taping. Not crazy about the unbalanced pickups now that I've played her for a few months. I will probably get rid of the PCB but want a pickup that will work with either PCB or point to point wiring.

The pickup specs are simple. vintage wound potted PAF alnico II's, zebra's would be nice, don't want overwound hi output.

The stock pickups are 61T/61R

What are your thoughts and recommendations?
I also have a new 2020 Classic model. I didn't care for the tapping/splitting features but I kinda like the 61s.

Anyways, couple days ago I put in an Emerson wiring harness with bumblebees and a set of Seymour Duncan Slash alnico 2s.

Regardless of how you feel about Slash/GnR, these are phenomenal pickups. The bridge is present and middy, while the middle and neck are throaty, crisp and clear. Has that hollow sound to it. I've never heard a neck pup I've liked more, it's so present and clear. I'm leaving those pickups in that guitar till the day I die. I absolutely love them and am blown away by how great they sound.

For reference, I've tried in my Trad, 61s, Duncan Whole Lotta Humbuckers, Duncan 59s, Gibson 57s, Dimarzio Super Distortions, and a JB Jazz set.

Latest Threads