Looking for Lazarus

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
This is my first set of Dimarzio pups in 30 yrs atleast. I hope I'm not disappointed...

Don't worry! Those are nice sounding pickups. Besides, can't beat double cream. I don't know if this is true, but they say that the PAF 59's double cream is an extra special shade that you can only get for the PAF 59s.

fry

Reaction score
This is my first set of Dimarzio pups in 30 yrs atleast. I hope I'm not disappointed...
I doubt you will be disappointed. I’ve heard nothing bad about those 59’s. I’ve always liked the DiMarzio stuff. I think he’s kind of the one that invented the whole aftermarket pickup thing to begin with. He has quite a range of models, but some of them do have silly names. A lot of people are down on the company because of the double cream thing.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are going to sound good too ... Like i was saying at least 30 yrs since i plaid a set of these pups. Prob the late 80's for me too. The double cream look really makes this guitar pop !! Like I got a whole new guitar .. If I am feeling up to it tonight I want to solder it up and throw some strings on it....

rbraad68

Reaction score
Here you go man LOL !!! 3 Thousand Dollars :)

noodlingguitars

Reaction score

rbraad68

Reaction score
I seen where someone said that they saw one listed for 1800 in mint condition. This one is crazy money !! I guess these JB guitars increase in value more than any of the Epiphone sig models. There is no way on Gods green earth would i spend that kind of money for an Epiphone. Now if this was a Gibson maybe ....

moreles

Reaction score
I'm not an Epi fan but even so, I think this model likely has real value and staying power for a number of good reasons. First off, it's got the legitimacy of Joe's involvement. I'm not really a Joe fan either, but his deep association with the LP and his stature as a player and collector speaks for itself. Unlike other Epis spewed out in mass quantities and IMO often with mediocre quality ("great...for the price") these seek to be superlative, and I think Joe cares about that and didn't just license his name for a little more $$$. If -- if, if, if -- Epi can stick to the limited edition restriction and not release an avalanche of them to cash in, I think they'll have staying power. I wouldn't pay the escalating prices starting to be seen, but I think those who got one at the initial pricing did well.

noodlingguitars

Reaction score
I'm not an Epi fan but even so, I think this model likely has real value and staying power for a number of good reasons. First off, it's got the legitimacy of Joe's involvement. I'm not really a Joe fan either, but his deep association with the LP and his stature as a player and collector speaks for itself.
Up to this part I totally agree. It's his brand/ image that commands the price and good for him for doing that. While he's not the only one, he's undoubtedly one of the key people that are instrumental to keeping interest in Gibson Les Pauls (and other vintage instruments) alive.

Unlike other Epis spewed out in mass quantities and IMO often with mediocre quality ("great...for the price") these seek to be superlative, and I think Joe cares about that and didn't just license his name for a little more $$$. If -- if, if, if -- Epi can stick to the limited edition restriction and not release an avalanche of them to cash in, I think they'll have staying power. I wouldn't pay the escalating prices starting to be seen, but I think those who got one at the initial pricing did well.
This I'm not so sure. It's all in people's heads... the husk itself is no different in quality than other Epi models. Any increase in QC runs across the board. Sure, the construction is a bit more premium in terms of the body/neck blanks - but that's where it ends. The rest just go through the same process at the same factory. That being said, quality overall has been a lot better in the last 2-3 years which does help.

But seriously... $3k?!?? That's more than a brand spanking new slash model.

I'm almost hoping it DOES sell cause I'd be interested in knowing what went thru the buyer's head...

rbraad68

Reaction score

OK here is my take on this. ALL the 59's JB Laz and even the Slash ( minus the long neck tenon ) Are all on the same level. There is nothing special or different about the " Husk " the hardware is all the same across the board with the tuners being the only thing different. The Grovers are far nicer than the deluxe tuners they use on the 59's and JB Laz guitars. In fact I can honestly tell you guys that the tuners i took off my Gibson Tribute the kluson deluxe tuners and used them side by side with the epiphone deluxe tuners ( prob klusons as well ) on my 2 50's gold tops and honestly I can't tell a difference in the two. Speaking about the 50's standards with the long neck tenon. I would go as far as saying that husk is on the same level with the 59's the Slash and any of the higher end models. Epiphone has done some great things these past 2 yrs for damn sure, I SOLD OFF all my pre 2020 epiphones and bought damn near ALL THE 2020 and up LP's so i can speak from experience.... My next 59 is going to be a Aged Cherry Burst husk. That will complete my 59 collection. Plus the 61 SG they just did. Would be nice to find a husk for one of those too. I have my eye on one of those 24 fret SG's ( i can't spell the name lol ) and a ACB 59 then that's it for me for a while...

Spirit

Reaction score
I don’t have the luxury of more than one guitar at the moment,but I will say that playing the same guitar for a couple of hour each day has really made me appreciate the build quality and tones from the epi 59,I cannot fault this guitar at all.

i don’t think I would get another 59 coz I’m so happy with this one,and it does everything I need it to,I’m not into modding either,
next Guitar if I do get one(do I really need it) will be another Epi though.

Nikki M

Reaction score
Stay tuned..soon there will be several unplayed Epi JB Lazarus offerings on Reverb at a reasonable price..*hint

fry

Reaction score
OH yeah man good find!! That should make a deff for sure. Post pics :)
Took me a while, but I finally found time to finish this today. Got the Wolfetone Marshallhead worn pickups in, they look the part, and sound awesome.
EEE25DBD-D067-4E84-90A3-E61DB908C308.jpeg
10C9E1CA-F933-42B7-A3FD-1B3FC60BF48E.jpeg

fry

Reaction score
Real nice photos and top. I don't remember, did you sand the finish ?
Would be nicer without that white plastic slab across it
I picked this one up used from GC. The top is unmolested, I haven’t done anything to it either. The guy who had it before put the really nice Faber bridge and tailpiece on it, the worn nickel stuff. That’s why I bought the worn humbuckers, the shiny ones just clashed with the bridge hardware. I am more of a pickguard on guy, I think it depends on the guitar. I actually think I like the pickguard off if you have open coil pickups, but it just depends on the particular guitar. I’m very happy with it. I got it at a pretty good price, especially when you consider the upgraded hardware that cost the previous owner around $200 or so. He even included the stock hardware in the case. I would personally have put the original stuff back on it before I got rid of it, but I’m glad he didn’t.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Deff one of the better one i have seen of these so far! Love the top and those pups look great!! Faber bridge pieces damn man it's a beast of a guitar now!!

fry

Reaction score
Deff one of the better one i have seen of these so far! Love the top and those pups look great!! Faber bridge pieces damn man it's a beast of a guitar now!!
It’s not even really the locking Faber, it’s the one I think they call the “ABR conversion“. You can see that the bridge posts are more like the Gibson ABR.

rbraad68

Reaction score
It’s not even really the locking Faber, it’s the one I think they call the “ABR conversion“. You can see that the bridge posts are more like the Gibson ABR.
I want to switch my Tribute over to the no locking bridge. Make it look more correct looking... This is what i have now. The locking Faber bridge pieces with the e-serts or what ever they call them for the gibsons??? This is the kit i bought for the guitar....
Faber bridge parts 01.jpg
5009bc.jpg

Latest Threads