Looking for Help Re: Windy City Guitar

jerber55

Reaction score
Any help would be greatly appreciated....

I made the mistake of sending my guitar to Jim Kolbusz last March for a refinish/conversion. When I inquired about a finish date in early July Jim told me he needed the weekend to finish up and the guitar would be back to me soon...... That was on July 6th 2018. Since then I have sent many texts and made many telephone calls to Windy City Guitar. Jim refuses to talk or return any of my text. Next month he has had my guitar for a year and the work was to be done in 3 months. I'm to the point where I consider my guitar stolen.... we are almost 8 months without any communications..... none.....not a single word. I see on the forum that I'm not the first person Jim has screwed.

Is there anything you can do to help me get my guitar back.....

Thanks

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Or the police. I would never send my guitar off for something like this, wow. Only drop it off in person with a claim check.

I hope that you get your guitar back.

Reactions: Who

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Awful ,to read these same stories again and again with this POS.

comcf

Reaction score
This is unfortunate. I was considering them for a project.

How much is the guitar worth? I am sure you can hire a local lawyer to file a report and go shake the tree. Otherwise, making a trip to Chicago may be worth it. It's a lovely place.

Reactions: Rds

BigJim

Reaction score
Dang, too bad. He did a great job on my headstock split a few years ago, sad to see this...

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will likely need to deal with this in person. Speaking from prior experience with Jim. The mods have some responsibility for leaving his business on this site this long, fully aware of what Jim is and has been doing.
Uhh, no Nick-O. The mods and/or other staff and admin have NO responsibility to who how individuals or businesses who may be members here behave off-site.

NONE whatsover. That's in the rules and regulations that one is supposed to have read and acknowledged when one signs on here.

That's one thing I want to make straight.

Here's another:

Although we're under no obligation to do so, many of our staff, especially moderator VictorB have gone way beyond the extra mile in bringing in, coaxing, shaming, any way one wants to say it returned money to those here who have done business on this site in less than honest practice. Thousands of dollars; sometimes a hundred at a time, sometimes two. Sometimes fifty lousy bucks. But try he does, and pay they do. Not all the time, but the success he's had bringing in the money owed has been nothing short of phenomenal.

And he didn't have to nor was obligated to do any of it. -Get that CLEAR.

He just doesn't like seeing our good forum members ripped off, nor the reputation of our excellent vendors tarnished by the few bad-apples that have popped up over the years.

Now Nick-O, try to understand this next part, because it speaks directly to your post:

One of VictorB's tactics is to keep their membership up here, keep them coming back, keep the feet to the fire by any means necessary, in order to encourage them right their ship and fly straight.

And that starts with squaring accounts with members they owe.

This particular tactic has been used to square accounts with many, many members here, when they hadn't a prayer's chance in hell of getting a dime back of their hard-earned money.

So next time before you go throwing around "responsibility" in which you have no authority to toss, think a bit. It might be a tactic to fix things that you don't know about.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes between staff, businesses fallen from grace and members owed that you and very, very few members are aware of.

ps, after you read the above post, don't argue with me on a "rebuttal" post. It undermines the work being done to recover people's money and/or gear.

Nick-O

Reaction score
No argument. I notified Alex as I figured I should. He asked me some questions in a PM, I answered. He put it into a thread about WCG. I spoke with a local lawyer. He informed me of the law. This was resolved outside of MLP.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
With all sympathies to the original poster, I wonder why this thread is in the Member Classifieds? And how many threads do we need?

Giblespaul2001

Reaction score
With all sympathies to the original poster, I wonder why this thread is in the Member Classifieds? And how many threads do we need?

I guess he would like everyone to know. I am glad he posted it so now I know. Do like I do if I see a thread that I am not interested in I simply don’t open it.

socialhero

Reaction score
As someone who has directly benefited from the mods efforts to browbeat a ripoff artist into paying me back (to the tune of ~$1,500), I fully support and appreciate their methods.

Good luck getting your guitar back, OP. Hope it works out.