Looking for guidance - 1977 Les Paul Standard

Reaction score
As many of these as I’ve had, the only Norlin era guitar I ever regretted of getting rid of was a fire brand SG. The Les Pauls are heavy, the necks are lackluster to me. If I was going to buy a $3000 guitar I would like, I’d find a used ReIssue.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As many of these as I’ve had, the only Norlin era guitar I ever regretted of getting rid of was a fire brand SG. The Les Pauls are heavy, the necks are lackluster to me. If I was going to buy a $3000 guitar I would like, I’d find a used ReIssue.
To each his own....

I have a Norlin that after people play it, they’d kill for it. Lol.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Awesome guitar ... is it possible to know if it was Kalamazoo or Nashville built? How much does it weigh?

ARandall

Reaction score
If it has the 8 digit serial number then you can tell the factory from the batch code.
Also the Kalamazoo made in USA orientation is 90deg out from the Nashville one

Lester

Reaction score
Congrats. That's a beauty. Some Norlins are real winners. But keep it quiet... we like the lower prices.

Benny2112

Reaction score

Wow! Look how close the serial number on my black 1977 Gibson Les Paul Standard is to yours!

LP serial.jpg

Benny2112

Reaction score
Well, I brought it home. Turns out the seller was a little bit negotiable. Also, turns out he was very honest as well.

The shielding on the back cover looked like it had never been taken off before, or at least not in a long time. There was some white residue on the screw heads that looked like it sat there for a while.

Date codes on the pots put them ‘77. Solder joints look untouched. Also, and perhaps, I’m wrong, but it looks like it may be one piece mahogany based on the unpainted hole where the wiring from inside the control cavity passes. I don’t see any sign of the pancake construction.

I do see faintly through the paint on the neck, the three pieces there though.

And... the pickups are original to the guitar. Hard to tell from the photos, but the plastics are definitely aged. The underside of the pickups have “PAT NO 2,737,842” stamped on them with a faint stamp “AUG 12 1977. That makes them T-Buckers.

Overall, I’m very happy with the purchase. It’s exactly what I have been looking for and a keeper for sure.

Thank you all for your help! It was very useful and much appreciated.

View attachment 535888 View attachment 535887 View attachment 535889 View attachment 535890 View attachment 535891 View attachment 535892

The pickups on my '77 have the PATENT NO sticker on them and not the stamp. Strange since our serial numbers are so close. Anyone know why that would be?

Benny2112

Reaction score
stuff sits around on shelves...parts get put in and on at different times etc.

Making a guitar is still a long process, even when done in numbers.

Thanks brother. I appreciate your insight.

It's pretty interesting finding out all this stuff. I've had this guitar since the late 80's, but really got more interested in its origins recently. Of course I have the year that tells you relatively nothing! Lol!

So the T Tops with the PATENT sticker instead of the stamp are the older versions, correct?

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks brother. I appreciate your insight.

It's pretty interesting finding out all this stuff. I've had this guitar since the late 80's, but really got more interested in its origins recently. Of course I have the year that tells you relatively nothing! Lol!

So the T Tops with the PATENT sticker instead of the stamp are the older versions, correct?

My 1978 Les Paul Custom has a 1976 date stamp t-top in the neck and a 1978 date stamp in the bridge.... the guitar is completely stock and I bought it in 1980. Pots can also be a year or two apart.... though its usually only one being odd. Parts can end up sitting around awhile before being used especially if they are replenished before they all get used up.

Latest Threads