Looking for guidance - 1977 Les Paul Standard

fishbeiner

Reaction score
Morning all,

Last night I happened to be cruising the internet and happened upon an ad for a 1 owner 1977 Les Paul Standard. Of all the guitars in the world, I’ve never owned an LP. Over the last several years, my wants have been changing and I have really been craving one for a while now. My biggest issue, I don’t know enough about Les Pauls, and even more so, vintage ones. Needless to say, when I saw this, I immediately thought, “I want that.”

I have been reading threads here about Les Pauls, and more info in the Norlin section, which has been helpful, but I figure a proper post would be best.

My gut says jump on it, but I’m hesitant in making a hasty decision. I’m scheduled to meet with the seller today to do look at the guitar. Apparently there’s a line, and I happen to (luckily) be first. That’s great, except I know I’m going to have to make a decision somewhat quickly.

All that being said, what do you think of this LP? Seller is firm on $3k. That’s a big chunk of change for me, but if the value is there, then I will make it happen. Is it worth that?

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

Here are some pictures of the guitar in question.

Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I had a 77 Deluxe that was routed for HBs. I actually really liked the original Deluxes with the mini hums and may still try to get one. Mine is long gone though. The 70s LPs were not true to the originals. They tended to be heavier and had maple necks instead of mahogany. Also tended to have a thinner profile. For some that is good. I prefer fatter necks and lighter weight. That being said, one of the coolest LPs I have tried was a 70s custom.

To me 3000 for a 77 seems a little pricey if this is in USD but maybe that is the going rate now? The alternative is to look for an early 80s Tokai or Greco. They are still vintage and were built like the 50s LPs. COVID prices might be skewed for the MIJ stuff now too though...

Dogbreath

Reaction score
It does appear that this one doesn’t have the original mini humbuckers and was routed for full sized humbuckers. For resale a person wanting an all original guitar will pass on it. Just my opinion as I’m new to the vintage market.

fishbeiner

Reaction score
It does appear that this one doesn’t have the original mini humbuckers and was routed for full sized humbuckers. For resale a person wanting an all original guitar will pass on it. Just my opinion as I’m new to the vintage market.
From my understanding and info here on MLP, only the Deluxe LP had the mini humbuckers. The Standards came with full size.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
so.....is it a real Standard, or routed Deluxe.

What has/has not been changed etc?

pics not showing up.

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
That guitar looks like it’s in pristine condition with original frets and all! Nice find!

1977 is the year they stopped making pancake bodies.
Which seems to be the case with this one.
Can’t see the line on the side of the body, but can’t tell for sure from the pics.

The maple neck is a bit thinner in that era, but it also adds brightness and tight high end.

If the pickups are original, they’re T-Tops (~7.6k Ohms).
This looks like a Standard, not a modded Deluxe.
You can see the stamp in the back of the headstock in the last photo.

Unfortunately prices have gone up substantially due to the pandemic.
Demand went through the roof and productions were limited or completely halted at times.
So the used market saw great increase in prices in general.

I don’t think $3,000 is a bad deal at all.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
From the pics Vic posted, I think it is a solid $2500-$2800 guitar, as long as it passes and in hand inspection.

I think the plastics have been changed....maybe just the poker chip? Might just be the angle/pic.

If you really want it, and don't mind paying, buy it.

fishbeiner

Reaction score
I think the plastics have been changed....
You’re speaking of the pickup rings, the guard, and the selector, right? To me they look newer, but if it’s been sitting, how can you tell. Is it possible that those don’t age, maybe if sitting in a case? Is there a definitive way to know?

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
yes that is what I mean and you are correct.......compere their color to the chip....something is off.

Oh, they age, trust me.

If the pup rings have been changed, be sure you check the pickups.

Do you know how to identify T-tops?

fishbeiner

Reaction score
@HardCore Troubadour the only thing I read is the T underneath the pickup covers? Is there an easier/different way?

I’m hoping the current owner will let me inspect it. The guy supposedly bought it from the original owner last week in a take it or leave it package deal with a 1960 Vibrolux he wanted, and has a ‘79 LP, so he doesn’t need this one.

I don’t know the etiquette for allowing someone to take a guitar apart, but it’s not like we’re talking $10 here. Plus, I know minimal about exactly to look for when I do. Amps are a different story. Those I can inspect all day long...

Shelkonnery

Reaction score
Do you guys think this article might be a good starting point?
All you ever wanted to know about Gibson T Tops

@fishbeiner You could ask for some pics of the back of the pickups. Not an unusual request.
Might not even need to pull the strings off for this, just really loosen them.

You could also ask for a pic of the trussrod to check if there's still room for adjustments, just to be safe.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
you can also look and see if the solder joints at the pots are original....and take a meter reading.

If you do not already know this stuff, making a 3K purchase this morning is NOT the place to start.

these pups may not be stock...along with the plastics being very white, the covers are really shiny for a guitar that no one has bothered to clean up.....look at the film etc. on the back of the headstock.

But again, the pics are really awful so it may be that.

Etiquette says that if I am spending that kind of money, I can inspect anything I want to, or he can take it with him....there are many, many more out there and this is at the very tip-top of the market.

Tell him ahead of time, you plan to inspect it thoroughly and if you don't know the in's and outs, you need to take someone who does.

Latest Threads