Looking for good set of Tele Pickups

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice set of Tele pickups to put in my Squier. I play a variety of ranges but mainly Blues Rock, Alternative and Metal. I would like to buy from a custom builder rather than get a set of name brand pickups. I would like them to be high output, Have great clarity, can push my amp, can going from blazing Metal to Merle Haggard and can still retain that Tele Twang which defines my sound. Right now I'm looking at Zhangbucker's Super Paul Bunyan set.

theycallmetex

Reaction score
I havent tried Zhangs Tele pickups but I have a set of his humbuckers and they are top notch. Shoot him an email and tell him what you are looking for

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I have been looking at Don Mare's. Haven't jumped yet but I'm close to the edge.

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
Normally I would suggest Bill Lawrence for teles, but I'm not sure they would work for metal. Everything else is probably fair game

cmcoram

Reaction score
Normally I would suggest Bill Lawrence for teles, but I'm not sure they would work for metal. Everything else is probably fair game
Didn't Dime use a Bill Lawrence 'bucker in his ML? Rails could work too, The Boss uses them in his Tele, and Dave Murray from Maiden uses them in his Strats. That's pretty diverse.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
The ones that came with it.
Toneriders aren't tele enough for you?
:laugh2:
I love my Squier - just.the.way.it.is.
Oh crap, I forgot...I changed the knobs.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
In fact the only thing I dislike about teles are the body...gimme a strat with two tele pickups and I am done.
I'd put the Squier neck on it, too.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Bare Knuckle Piledrivers have a classic Tele sound but with a lot of punch. Had a set in an old Tele that I loved and I currently have the bridge pickup in my parts Tele, happily keeping up with the 8k P90 installed in the neck!

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
The ones that came with it.
Toneriders aren't tele enough for you?
:laugh2:
I love my Squier - just.the.way.it.is.
Oh crap, I forgot...I changed the knobs.

I want to change the pups because I have Squier Affinity Tele not a CV. If I had a CV i would not want to change anything.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I swear by Lindy Fralin for Tele and Strat and P90 pickups. Some like Lollar, I prefer Fralin.

The Blues Specials are what I use. "Beefy" twang as I would describe it and a bit fatter for the Tele. For the Strat it's more bluesy and texas sounding ala SRV.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I like a range of pickups in my LP's, but I've definitely become a Tele snob... it needs to keep up in volume and put out in twang!!! I've got a set of the

1) Zhangliqun Paul Bunyan's in one;
Neck is gorgeous, bridge is a little fat for my taste...

2) Bill Lawrence Keystones in another;
Better than the originals but nothing to write home about...

3) MHD prototype Tele Winds in another;
These are killers! I know Rayne is known for his hot steel melting buckers, but these are amazing too. Bridge is the exact amount of twang I expect from my Tele without being thin or too trebly. The neck was a bit dark for my taste but pulling of the cover helped a fair bit. They are wound hot, but it works out so very well!!

Neemo

Reaction score
i have a 2012 am std tele

Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele (neck)
Fender Custom Shop Broadcaster (bridge)

those are the pickups in it...they kick ass imo

JeffBlue

Banned
Reaction score
I use Seymour Duncan Antiquities, P90's in the neck or middle on the teles. these pickups sound really like vintage aged 40 or 50 year old pickups.

BlueCajun

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of David Allen's pickups. I have a set of his Austin Blues in my Strat and an Alleycats humbucker and Bluescat bridge singlecoil in my Tele. He has a few different Tele sets. He's also a super nice guy and very helpful in making sure you get the sound you want. I would recommend emailing him (should be on his website: dallenpickups.com) or sending him a private message (he's registered as a vendor here). Good luck!

Latest Threads