Looking for a Set of P90s

macg1

Reaction score
I actually had some Tyson Tones before on a Firebird III, but since I traded the guitar fairly quickly and it was some years ago, I don't recall them. It was a 60 bridge position and a 57 neck. Totally forgot about these :D

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
I have a couple of SG Classics and my favorite pickup combo is the stock Gibson P-90 at the neck for cleans and a Kinman Zero-Hum P-90 at the bridge for hi gain use.

Real P-90 and NOT real P-90.
Best of both worlds.

My LP Junior DC has a Fralin Hum-Cancelling P-90.

Last edited:

macg1

Reaction score
I just came across the mojotone ones too which are somehow hum-free also and sounded pretty decent in the demos.

RAG7890

Reaction score
If you were not going Noiseless & can't find a 1950's P90, I'd look at: -

ReWind
Throbak
Tyson Tone

My 2c FWIW.

I have a 1958 P90 Set in my '54 Replica..............beyond awesome & FWIW, not noisy IMHO. Just need to use the Volume Knob when not playing.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

macg1

Reaction score
If you were not going Noiseless & can't find a 1950's P90, I'd look at: -

ReWind
Throbak
Tyson Tone

My 2c FWIW.

I have a 1958 P90 Set in my '54 Replica..............beyond awesome & FWIW, not noisy IMHO. Just need to use the Volume Knob when not playing.

Good luck.

:cheers2:
yeah the noiseless thing is not a must. Just interesting that there are options. I am now going between Tyson and Fralin since they both use Alnico options I like. I have had 50s P90s and they were nothing short of excellent.

kungpow!

Reaction score
Another vote for Tyson tone. I have the 60 set in a R4.

I have a mojotone classic? P90 in a junior, and it's nice too

macg1

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Rio Grande stuff? Bluesbar or jazz bar? I have their genuine Texas and like it a lot. Just seems like 12.5 K is a bit much for a P90.

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regular Gibson do it for me. They are just P90s- no unobtanium PAF elements. Easy to get right.
Totally with you on that. The regular old Gibson P90's sound great. They are not polite tickle-my-ass-with-a-feather pickups, more like rough and tumble scrappers.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I really love the Gibson P90s myself.

I also have a Greco with the Hot Licks P90s and they are awesome too, but probably would be hard to find. Although you never know, there might be some on ebay or Reverb.

I have an incoming MIJ Aria Pro II that supposedly were made with 70s Gibson Laidback P90s. It should be here next week and I can't wait to check them out. I don't think anyone has ever confirmed for a fact those are Gibson pickups but it seems to be what is generally believed. When it gets here I will post pics and things if anyone can help me out with that ID.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a 1957 P-90 in my Jr. it is glorious...

Not sure of the magnet type.

IME, almost certainly A3s that early on. If the magnets have rough edges on the outside North faces (opposite the faces that contact the keeper bar) then you have a visual indicator to confirm. If it's ground flat on both the North and South sides, then you have one of the first "humbucker magnets" and it could be something else, but I haven't seen those earlier than 1958 serialized guitars.

Here's a 1957 pre-decal PAF A3 magnet that shows what I mean...

Ground flat South side:

Left rough North side:

It seems that shortly after humbuckers came into production, Gibson started using magnets in the humbuckers with both polar faces ground flat (presumably to fit better with the North side now having to make contact with the slugs). From what I see, Gibson kept using the magnets with only one flat face in the P-90s past that point, until they were gone.

It's McCarty Gibson era stuff though, so always exceptions. I found a magnet like the above in a sealed 60's patent number humbucker once! ...but just once. Definitely not the norm, especially that late.

ezra1

Reaction score
I have a set of Rewinds in a Les Paul and a Lollar in a Junior

ezra1

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing their specs and your thoughts on each?

T.Y. :thumb:
Cooljuk could tell you the specs . I got them prior to him putting them on the website.
I like them and they are responsive to vol and tone adjustments. I put them a Les Paul.
The Lollar was his hotter P90 that I put in a Junior chasing Leslie West.
I was advised to go with a lower wind.
And it does a great burning hard rock thing but I should have listened to him.
I now think Leslie's Mountain tone was a lower wind pushing a loud amp

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cooljuk could tell you the specs.
You'd have to remind me of your real name or PayPal email, so I could look up the order. I'm terrible about keeping track of people's real names in my system and screen names on the forums, sometimes.

I really only make 3 P-90 sets, though -

• an early 50's A3 cool set which is very clear and typical of any Gibson up to the mid-50's
  • a 1959 long A5 hotter coils set which is jangly, a bit scooped, pushy and rich in harmonics
  • a late 60's poly wire short A5 set, which is brighter, snappier, tight and punchy