Looking for a quiet practicing solution

Rick

Reaction score
So, with a newborn around now looking for a quiet practicing solution. I'm not a big fan of the fizzy sound of a tube amp with the master volume down super low. I currently have a 5150 which is great, but not so great at low volume.

I also have Amplitube and a very beefy PC which allows me to play with no discernable lag. I have to use headphones with it, which is another no go for the newborn even though I love the sound. I need to be able to hear him.

I'm worried about how good some "cheap" active monitors would sound (~$300). I'm worried I'll end up with muddy sounding guitar.

For the same price I could also grab a Boss Katana which I haven't used but have heard lots of good things about.

Should I grab a modeling amp or some active studio monitors? I suppose there's also a 1 watt Marshall DSL but that's sort of a one trick pony and I'm not crazy about the 8" speaker.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Open ear headphones?

tzd

Reaction score
Check out the Blackstar Fly 3. It does not have the best tone (though if you like the Blackstar tone you will love it), but it has by far the best feel of any tiny, low-volume amp out there.

It is the only tiny solid state amp I have played that really feels and reacts like a real tube amp. It is so good that I have used it to learn a number of songs from scratch that I later play on a real rig - all the techniques I develop on the Fly 3 directly translates onto a real tube amp.

It is so small I can pack it in my carry-on luggage for travel. Just a guitar, guitar cable, Fly 3, clip-on tuner and an AUX cable to play my iPhone backing tracks. No pedals needed and I can dial in any tone I need - clean, crunch or full on distortion on the amp. It runs forever on batteries. For just $60, you can't go wrong.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Would that sound better than monitors?
Yes, no maybe. It would allow for near silent play (to others), but you could still hear the baby monitor, for instance.

rogue3

Reaction score
When i first tackled this,i used my Tascam 4 track's mixing section,...a JTM 45 into a Marshall SE 100 speaker emulator on load into one of the mixers inputs.A fine pair of AKG's plugged into the Tascam's headphone jack.Tone heaven.Lots of eq on board to tailor the headphone sound.All night long.Layed down a few tracks for jamming too...lots of uses.Quietly.

Tobin1634

Reaction score
I don't see why the studio monitors wouldn't work for you. The master volume on my Orange OR15 is very good and I get good tones out of it on 7 watt mode at low volumes, that's actually my main use of the amp!

GitFiddle

Reaction score
The Yamaha THR-10 series amps are great for quiet practice. They sound great even turned wayyyyyyy down low.
Second this. :thumb:

I practice with mine every night. Sits on my desk between the keyboard and monitors. My wife sleeps in the next room with no issues. You can even patch your computer sound into it and blend your guitar with it, in stereo. You can still put all that through headphones too if needed.

Good luck on your search and congratulations on the new Bambino. :applause:

spitfire

Reaction score
Yamaha THR-10 do sound really good. And when I got mine I think they had three versions, high-gain, classic, acoustic (something like that). I got the classic version. They have some sort of stereo trick that really gives them an open sound. Studio monitors would work well too, given you have Amplitube. Not sure what is good in that price range though.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Mine is very simple set up.

Hotone Nano Legacy Amp < Korg Pandora PX2 < Guitar

Quiet late night practice right....

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just have to throw this out there....Blackheart Little Giant Head or the Little Ant. Just my 2cents,brother....