Looking for a P90 Goldtop with a chunky neck (UK)

NotSaturn

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a Goldtop 'Les Paul' with P90's with a neck on the larger size (58/59ish)

I'm planning to rip out the P90s and make a Pete Townsend esq reproduction and make it like an early 70s Deluxe with Mini Humbuckers.

My budget is around £500-600 and don't mind used or vintage, not too fussed about brands or where it's made.

Anyone got any recommendations or links, I don't mind importing either.

Many thanks,

NS

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
I has an Epiphone '56 goldtop pro p90. Really nice guitar with a fat fifties neck. I had a similar idea but just could not get myself ripping out those nice sounding P-90's. Sold it to a kid who is very happy with it:slash:, was his first les paul. :hippie:

dsmcl77

Reaction score
What you're looking for is a Deluxe Goldtop.

NotSaturn

Reaction score
What you're looking for is a Deluxe Goldtop.

Indeed I am aha, but I can't seem to find any apart from Gibsons which are out of my price range and the occasional Greco. Any ideas?

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Indeed I am aha, but I can't seem to find any apart from Gibsons which are out of my price range and the occasional Greco. Any ideas?
Edwards are great guitars

And Epiphone as mentioned by @BKS

One in Holland and one in France (So no extra tax... yet ;) :naughty:):

I didn't find any in gumtree UK, but check this site from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKS

BKS

Reaction score
There is a gibby in the members classified... But It's not Within your budget i guess.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Also Aria pro II are good instruments.

The one from the 80's is great and I would buy it if I wasn't into buying a Vibrola SG to make a... Pete Townhend conversion... :laugh2:

Last edited:
Reactions: BKS

dsmcl77

Reaction score
The 80's Aria have the same type of lutherie as the 70'sGibson, so close to PT's 1976 Gibson Deluxe.
Need cleaning though. And as you will reap the p90s anyway, you might as well route the body and fit a DiMarzio Dual Sound humbucker.

NotSaturn

Reaction score
The 80's Aria have the same type of lutherie as the 70'sGibson, so close to PT's 1976 Gibson Deluxe.
Need cleaning though. And as you will reap the p90s anyway, you might as well route the body and fit a DiMarzio Dual Sound humbucker.
Aria Pro 2 is a shout actually, do you know what sort of necks they have? Thanks for all the suggestions!

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Aria Pro 2 is a shout actually, do you know what sort of necks they have? Thanks for all the suggestions!
What info I find on the LS 600 is medium C Shape, between 59 & 60... So not as chunky as you would like it I guess.

NotSaturn

Reaction score
What info I find on the LS 600 is medium C Shape, between 59 & 60... So not as chunky as you would like it I guess.
I'll put that Aria on my watchlist, but I'd prefer something a little less....tetnusy if possible aha.

Any other brands I should keep an eye out for? Apologies for all the questions!

dsmcl77

Reaction score
Here in MLP it says medium sized too.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
I guess all the asian made guitar are on the medium ans small neck shape for some reason :naughty:. All my japanese guitars are.

I thing you should not overlook the Epiphone 56 Goldtop has it has a chunky 56/58 neck. An nothing to be ashamed on the quality side of it.
I have Gibsons and Epiphones in my stable of... +/-30 guitars. And they don't blush when I take them out for a ride.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Those Arias have Gibson Laid Back P90s that sound glorious! I would keep them!

There are GTs with mini hums in the MIJ world.

I would have to sadly tell you the Arias don't have big, fat necks either. I have one and it's on the slimmer side.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
If you have a target, occasionally you can get sellers to measure at the 1st fret with calipers.
For me 23mm is the target. My Navs meet that but my Ornetts does not. I have heard Edwards tend to be relatively slim but they are usually nice and light weight. I don't think there are any options for cheap goldtop MIJs with a fat neck. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago you could have scooped up a Greco from 80-82 or a rare p90 Bacchus classic but they seem more pricey these days. The Greco above is from the late 70s and probably will not have a thick neck but it would likely match the 70s Deluxe style guitars that Townsend used.

Latest Threads