Looking for a new home for my family-Give me some ideas.

teame1

Reaction score
You must have very low standards.............it's where we dumped all the riff-raff till it became politically incorrect to do so.
They fool you into believing they are nice guys until you wake up in the morning with a sore-arse.:thumb:

:laugh2: My family moved over from the uk. I live in a non colonised state and my colon is intact! Sounds like you had a less than perfect holiday!:naughty::D
Australia has a near 50% immigrant population these days. If some choose to partay as they did in their homeland surely australia is not to blame!:thumb:

Sorry, was my bad humour or lack of it.
I've never been to Aus, unless earls court counts.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
Sorry, was my bad humour or lack of it.
I've never been to Aus, unless earls court counts.

No need to apologise, i thaught it was kinda funny! I gather earls court is a gathering place for aussies? Watch out for my ex girlfriend over there. She's aussie and will leave you with a sore arse, from tugging at your wallet!:naughty:

Howard2k

Reaction score
I lived in both Australia and NZ. I would go and live in Australia again in a heartbeat. NZ, not so much. Great place to visit but I would not be likely to live there again.

Kelowna BC is a place I would consider living one day. Or a small town outside of Calgary perhaps.

Tozatron

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try Fairfax or Loudoun County, in Northern Virginia. I grew up around those parts, and they fit your description. Of the two, I'd recommend Loudoun.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davis, California - Small college atmosphere. Two hours to the Pacific Ocean - surfing. Close to major cities - SF/Oakland - about 45 to Napa. Two hours to the Sierras/Lake Tahoe - skiing.

Homes are a bit pricey. Good schools - just don't protest, you will be sprayed.

Visitors - City of Davis

You could not pay me to live in Davis. They even have loud snoring laws which they enforce.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blues4U you might want to look at the Rogue Valley in Oregon. Medford is the main city but you have a wide variety of places and ways to live.

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
don't come to my area.. my city just recently beat out Flint MI as the poorest city in the USA..

Benjammin

Reaction score
CT is too boring (though the hunting ain't bad) and BC is too rainy, my advice is avoid these places

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Come live in Arkansas. I know, I know, what's in Arkansas?

Plenty. Up where I live you're an hour from Memphis, 3 hours from St. Louis, one of our local schools is one of the best in the state (and pretty high up nationally), state parks all over the place, and plenty of boring, nothing to do if you just want to chill and veg out. There's even a sizable man-made lake about 2 hours from here with plenty of fishing, swimming, etc.

Crime is low, but it's not nonexistent, not a lot of gang issues and most of the crime/violence is compartmentalized in normal places. We're a college town up here, but there's a pretty nice mall, and a decent live music scene in the downtown area with a few of the restaurants and gastropubs sporting live music several times a week.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Delaware or Virginia to me.

Best of luck Blues4.

G Man

Reaction score
I live in a town that satisfies pretty much every requirement you put out there, and I am grateful I do. 01060 If you were to get serious and wanted to come check it out at some point in time, I would be glad to put you up or a few days.

jlu52

ignoramus maximus emeritus
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fort Collins, CO, or NH/Maine are pretty close to what you're looking for, Blues. Hope you find exactly what you're looking for..

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
CANADA

Virtually anywhere.

The most beautiful, friendly, economically viable country in the world.

World class education.

No greater place in the world to raise a family.

Blues4U

Reaction score
CANADA

Virtually anywhere.

The most beautiful, friendly, economically viable country in the world.

World class education.

No greater place in the world to raise a family.

I fell in love with the Canadian people when I was a kid and we would make trips up north to play hockey in various and assorted small towns-We would stay with members of the other team and their family--

I love Canada and the people:thumb:

kjwolfer

Reaction score
If you wanted to stay in the lower 48 I would suggest Colorado. Plenty of small towns close to Denver. Then you have the advantage of the big city being close by. Plenty of shows, professional sports and all that. Plus is it is a very decent city.

On the flip side you can do what my wife and I did in 2003. We came to the same conclusion that we needed out. (Nebraska). We packed up our crap and headed north. Moved to Alaska and never looked back. Job market is good, its absolutely beautiful and you can make what you want of it here.

Blues4U

Reaction score
If you wanted to stay in the lower 48 I would suggest Colorado. Plenty of small towns close to Denver. Then you have the advantage of the big city being close by. Plenty of shows, professional sports and all that. Plus is it is a very decent city.

On the flip side you can do what my wife and I did in 2003. We came to the same conclusion that we needed out. (Nebraska). We packed up our crap and headed north. Moved to Alaska and never looked back. Job market is good, its absolutely beautiful and you can make what you want of it here.

I am all for Alaska--My wife would have the big one--She assumes that snows 10 feet at a time and there are Grizzleys behing every tree---

kjwolfer

Reaction score
Thats what I thought too, but my wife absolutely fell in love with the place. Anchorage is big enough that we have everything, but you go 10 minutes one way or the other and your're in the wilderness. Our weather is not unlike the midwest at all here in Anchorage. We have a little over a foot of snow now. As for the Grizz - the last one I saw was the Utah Grizzly hockey team. Not to say they aren't here, my buddies enclosed trailer got broken into by one this summer.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd head towards a coast. Preferably one that is warm and has a lot of golf courses.

Hack

Reaction score
Come to Oklahoma.

We have Wal-Marts everywhere, they sell yogurt for your culture too.

Latest Threads