Looking for a Les Paul...who can led me in the right direction

Emiel

Reaction score
Hi,

I sold my Edwards Les Paul 1957 Goldtop this week. It was a nice guitar, comfortable '59 neck profile, good looks but its sound wasn't warm and thick enough. Now I'm looking to buy a Gibson Les Paul. I'm only not sure which one to go so I'm asking you for giving me some direction in the right way :)

I'm looking for a warm, thick and creamy sound, something like Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa, James Dean Bradfield and Gary Moore. I prefer a '59 or '60s neck profile and pickups wound a bit hotter than the average PAF's, to drive my seventies Marshall a bit. My favorite finishes are Goldtop, light Bursts (Honey Burst) and Plain tops. My budget is < 1500 euro (1900 dollar), I live in the Netherlands.

Next week I'll visit some nearby stores to check out some Gibbo's, but since I really want a good one (Les Pauls are my favorite guitars) I sometimes think it might be wiser to save up for even a R7 or R8.

I know a lot of Les Paul models might be suitable for my styles... but somehow I feel attracted to the Classic and the (discontinued) Standard Faded. What are the main difference tonewise between these two and which one do you think would be the best choice for me? Or would you say "screw them" and should I save up and head more towards a R7 or R8?

My amps are a Hughes & Kettner Statesman for playing at home and in my band I use a '76 Marshall JMP 2203 with an early '80s 1960B (G12-65 speakers).

Who can led me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Emiel

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
I'd go for a Traditional. It seems like you'd love the '57 Classic pups in those. Or a nice R8.. :cool:

banditguitarist1

Reaction score
My vote goes with the R7 and R8 and change the pickups to WB's or Skatterbranes if you don't think they are hot enough, it seems thats what your really going for.

Emiel

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks! I think with my budget the Traditional Goldtop might be the best choice. I'm a 21 year student and the R8 seems like a bit too much money for me...

I'm only wondering about the pickups in the Traditional. My Edwards guitar had (great) BG PUF's pickups, PAF replica's. I think the bridge was 9.1k. They sounded fine but they weren't hot enough for me. Are the Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus pickups like the same?

Keep those comments coming :).

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
get a stadard faded. excellent guitars at a relatively decent price. the BB Pros will give you a vintage sound plus a little something extra. the traditional is a great guitar. played another one yesterday and boy did she sing.

rideski

Reaction score
get a stadard faded. excellent guitars at a relatively decent price. the BB Pros will give you a vintage sound plus a little something extra. the traditional is a great guitar. played another one yesterday and boy did she sing.

+1 on the Standard Faded! It will give you warmth yet push your amp(s) very nicely.."rawer" sounding than the Traditional with 57's. Can't go wrong with one of these.

LPV

Reaction score
I think the fade is a solid reccomendation as well as the trad but
(confusion sets in...)

New fades are chambered, new trads are not.

So two very different guitars unless a used pre late '06 fade is reccomended. So to be clear are you reccomending a chambered guitar over a weight relieved guitar ?

And yes, the chambering is the same as the standards. They weigh about the same as my new standard.

rideski

Reaction score
I have found the sound of my 08 Faded to be more "alive" sounding that the Traditionals I have tried in the shops... Just my observation. I do love both models however.

LPV

Reaction score
I have found the sound of my 08 Faded to be more "alive" sounding that the Traditionals I have tried in the shops... Just my observation. I do love both models however.

+1. The only new model I tried that has a better (IMO) tone was an R8. My new GAS (wife says we have to pay off the mortgage first :()

Emiel

Reaction score
Could someone tell me in short the main sound differences between a Traditional, Standard Faded and a R8 or R7?

I would like to have like the fattest, warmest and creamiest sounding one. I'm only afraid a R model would be eventually too expensive for me... although this is the tone I'm looking for... and the guy plays with a R8.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEuaXOIV2iE]YouTube - Gibson Les Paul VOS Guitar Carlos Santana Europa Cornford Harlequin[/ame]

Emiel

Reaction score
Hi,

What about a 1993 Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan Antiquities in very good condition? The seller wants 1250 euro for it (comes with original case), which is quite decent price here in the Netherlands. For instance, you can find used Standard Faded for about the same here...

How are those early '90s Standards? Worth the look?

44667950_1.jpg

44667950_8.jpg

44667950_4.jpg

44667950_5.jpg

44667950_3.jpg

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Could someone tell me in short the main sound differences between a Traditional, Standard Faded and a R8 or R7?

QUOTE]

the R7 is a goldtop and has a FAT neck. the R8 is the same guitar with a slightly thinner neck and plaintop burst finish. these are Custom Shop guitars and i personally swear by them. they have solid bodies and different electronics than the USA LPs. they also have the BB1/2 pickups, which are like the 57 Classics, but they are a little hotter.

the std faded is the same a regular Std except it has uncovered pickups and a thinner satin finish. the Stds and Std Faded have BB Pros and will be chambered if they are late 2006 to current. in august the Std got some "upgrades" like a tonepros bridge and locking jack. the traditional is weight relieved with 57 Classsic PUs. specs are on Gibson - Gibson Guitar: Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Bass Guitars, Baldwin Pianos and

i had 2007 Std Faded that was a a badass LP. i thought it was the best guitar i had ever played. then i played my R8...and the Std Faded was sold.:laugh2: if you can afford to buy a new Traditional or Standard, i would

a) save a little more and buy an R7, R8 or G0 (Guitar Center R0)
b) buy a used R7, R8, or G0. these can be had for $2000-2200 any day of the week.

i hope this helps.

Emiel

Reaction score
Thanks!

But, the R"..."s are at least double the price of this '93 Standard. Who played an early '90s LP Standard and can tell me what are they like - quality wise - compared to todays Standards?

:)

Emiel

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks!

But, the R"..."s are at least double the price of this '93 Standard. Who played an early '90s LP Standard and can tell me what are they like - quality wise - compared to todays Standards?

:)

Emiel

i dont like the 2008 Standard. i would prolly take the 93 if the price was right

Emiel

Reaction score
Thanks!

Any other comments about early nineties Les Paul Standards?? It would be more than welcome!

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Quality control was very consistent in the '90s. More than now, actually.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't get a Faded anything - it will piss you off that you sold off your Edwards (a high quality MIJ w/ the construction of an "R") for a Gibson of lower quality than what you had to begin with...

MY suggestion is that you move forwards and not backwards - and the only surefire way to do that is to look at an R7/R8. That 90's Standard would probably be nice as well... on par w/ your Edwards I'd say. ;)

Everyone should keep in mind that he started w/ a Les Paul which specs out better than most anything that Gibson is making outside of their Historic line.

So... can you get your Edwards back and changing the pickups!?

Emiel

Reaction score
Don't get a Faded anything - it will piss you off that you sold off your Edwards (a high quality MIJ w/ the construction of an "R") for a Gibson of lower quality than what you had to begin with...

MY suggestion is that you move forwards and not backwards - and the only surefire way to do that is to look at an R7/R8. That 90's Standard would probably be nice as well... on par w/ your Edwards I'd say. ;)

Everyone should keep in mind that he started w/ a Les Paul which specs out better than most anything that Gibson is making outside of their Historic line.

So... can you get your Edwards back and changing the pickups!?

Hi,

It was an Edwards LP-92-SD, not a higher end one like the 105 and beyond. Quality wise mine was comparable to a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and definitely not like a Standard. Let me tell you why. The Edwards surely is a nice guitar but I've talked to many other 92/98 owners about the rather thin sound and lack of warmth these guitars suffer from. Pickups can't change that. At least I heard lot's of people trying, but without succes. I tried as well, with swapping pickups and pots (500k to 300k), but failed. My Edwards played, looked (poly finish) and sounded pretty good though, but I rather have a naturally fat and warm sounding guitar.

I read lot's of good things about the early/mid '90s Les Paul Standards and found a nice '93 Standard with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups for a very nice price. Therefore I'm asking if some of you guys have experiences with them :)

R7/R8 are definitely out of the picture, second hand they're double the price of this Standard! Hope you guys understand :).

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It was an Edwards LP-92-SD, not a higher end one like the 105 and beyond. Quality wise mine was comparable to a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and definitely not like a Standard. Let me tell you why. The Edwards surely is a nice guitar but I've talked to many other 92/98 owners about the rather thin sound and lack of warmth these guitars suffer from. Pickups can't change that. At least I heard lot's of people trying, but without succes. I tried as well, with swapping pickups and pots (500k to 300k), but failed. My Edwards played, looked (poly finish) and sounded pretty good though, but I rather have a naturally fat and warm sounding guitar.

I read lot's of good things about the early/mid '90s Les Paul Standards and found a nice '93 Standard with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups for a very nice price. Therefore I'm asking if some of you guys have experiences with them :)

R7/R8 are definitely out of the picture, second hand they're double the price of this Standard! Hope you guys understand :).

Gotcha. That Standard that you posted pictures of really does look nice...

Latest Threads