Looking for a high gain amp head for "butt rock"

Tetrosphere

Reaction score
As ridiculous as it may sound, I am looking for that quintessential "douchebag" guitar tone... Disturbed, Korn, System of a Down, et cetera... I know most of those guys are using something like a 5150 or a Dual Rectifier but those heads are just out of my budget. I am looking for something I can pickup for around 400 or less used.

Right now I am deciding between the Peavey 6505MH or the Bugera TriRec. I like the TriRec's clean tone and dirty tone better, and it seems based on what I have heard from it that it doesn't really need a boost in front of it, but I am hesitant to buy a Bugera... thoughts? I am open to suggestions of other amps. I would like 2 channels.

Alright so I see a sticky suggests that I answer these questions in my post, so here goes:

How much would you like to spend?

~400 or less USD

What's the absolutely most you will spend?

How many years have you played guitar?

Do you seek tone quality or versatility?

Both. I don't see these as mutually exclusive. I need good cleans and good distortion.

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)?

Gibson Les Paul LPJ. HH.

What style(s) of music do you primarily play?

Alternative rock/metal. See bands listed above.

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate?

Jerry Cantrell has the best tone in history. Either him or John Petrucci.

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?
* If you plug straight in, you will likely require 2 or more channels
* If you use effects, you may prefer an effects loop

I'll be using effects but not for distortion. No need for an FX loop though, I keep my effects out front as I don't use any modulation or time based effects.

What will be the primary use of the amp?
bedroom/living room
jam with friends (guitars only)
jam with friends (guitars, bass, drums, etc.)
gigs (small venues)
gigs (large venues, is mic'ing available?)

Gigging and jamming. Micing will not only be available, I will probably only be hearing this amp without a 57 in front of it 1% of the time.

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)?

I'm looking for a head. The cabinet will be a Randall 2x12 loaded with V30s.

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?

I have an AC10. I am looking for an amp that has a really nice high gain channel on tap.

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched (if you can't do this, you're not serious)

Peavey 6505MH
Bugera TriRec
Randall Diavlo 20W
Jet City JCA20H
Laney Ironheart 15W

What did you like about them?

All of them except the Jet City had an awesome sounding high gain channel. All of them except the Randall had a really great clean channel.

What did you not like about them?

The Peavey, to my ear, seemed to lack a certain character in the high end. The Bugera says Bugera on it. The Randall's cleans were ass. The Jet City doesn't really have enough gain on tap. The Laney... honestly just didn't really leave an impression on me at all. I can't really name anything particularly bad OR good about it because nothing stood out.

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I see used 6505 full sized heads used all the time, for around that 400 buck point.

Big John

work hard, play harder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The JCA20H doesn't have as much gain as the lead channel on the JCA22H, so maybe tryout the 22H? Used prices on the 22H are very reasonable.

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
My opinion (wrong as it is). Buy whatever amp will clean up as best as you want then ad pedals to it to get where you need to be. You cant have them both for 400.00. You can have an amp that will give decent gain on the 2nd channel and push it to what you want as well.

Tubebender

Reaction score
I see Krank come up for your doushiness, but price out of that range. Solid state heads immediately come to mind, I believe some of those guys use a Randall SS or the like.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the 5150/6505 is a beast of an amp.

Considering you're going after "Korn/Disturbed/Nu-Metal" tone,...I think it really doesn't matter what amp as long as it moves air and has some 'Whoomph!' to it. (closed cab not open back)

Chances of you ending up using foot pedals to get your sound is very high. You need the compression and the 'flatness' the pedals offer.

That's why those other bands use pedals and noise gates.

Z.K.

Reaction score
I was gonna put my 6505 MH up for sale soon, here in the forum classifieds, I'll give you a shot at it first , right around your budget, I bought it back in December. Sent me PM if interested, I'm at work right now so I might be slow to answer.

wizard1183

Reaction score
Go to a pawn shop and buy the highest wattage amp they have for cheap and theirs your crappy tone amp lol

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Find a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 with a Sanpera pedal. They are $400 used everywhere. The Krank, Mesa and Diezel amp models on it are sick, and you have Fender cleans at your disposal, too. Also, 6505 Plexi, JCM800, blah blah blah. It's also 60 watts of 6L6GC tubes... loud as hell.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-u5GZUNXkk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-u5GZUNXkk[/ame]

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
4 gain knobs. :laugh2: :applause:

gotta love it.

Really 2 per channel, pre and post. But, they are little beasts. Can really get thump with mine though a 2 x12 or 4x12 with the resonance up, even at 5 or 1 watt mode (and definitely 20 watt).

Z.K.

Reaction score
Pre=gain
post=volume

Hey cyber, this thing with a closed back cab gotta have some balls and then some. I currently use my combo as a cab.

Tetrosphere

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. Probably going to go with the Peavey.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pre=gain
post=volume

Hey cyber, this thing with a closed back cab gotta have some balls and then some. I currently use my combo as a cab.

Yep, thump, thump, thump, room shaking palm mutes.

Rhust

Reaction score
just to give a thumbs up.. I love my 6505 MH! dirty enough for Sabbath on Saturday, and then I use it at church on Sunday on the clean channel. great amp. and silent when I need it to be.

ant_riv

Reaction score
There is a Genz-Benz elDiablo 60 at my local Music Go Round for $399.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I've got a Bugera 333XL Infinium (its the Peavy JSX Copy).

It sounds really good. Haven't had any problems with it....after a few years a couple preamp tubes went micro...the built in noise gate is useless...
I don't like the digital channel switching...made it more work than I wanted to use my G-Major to control amp channels (so it became a pedal board rig)...
To really get the sounds from any high distortion/gain amp that you are after...you need a separate EQ to scoop the mids.

Latest Threads