Looking for a guitar strap

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup. I'm 5'9" and more pounds and even my old strap is still set to the longest length is can be.

KP

Reaction score
This should be so freakin' easy but it's NOT.

All I want is a 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" wide strap that, from button to button is AT LEAST 54" - this is important. It must be leather, but not a hard tooled leather and the backing should be suede. I prefer black, but brown is fine too but I don't want any patterns or padding or any other crap on it - just a plain leather strap with suede backing at those dimensions and I don't want to spend a mint (less than $50) on something I'm just going to sweat all over.

Any suggestions?
You might take a look at Franklin

Original Suede - Franklin Strap

You can get them a lot of places. GC for instance for $34.99

Franklin Strap 2.5" Chocolate Suede Guitar Strap with Caramel Tooled End Tabs | GuitarCenter

or Amazon for $24.99

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Strap-Guitar-Silver-Stitching/dp/B001UH7WLW[/ame]

blackat

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know a guy that can make you just what you want....:cheers2:

JayFreddy

Reaction score
Try Franklin. They make some nice straps that are extremely close to what you're asking. Perhaps exactly what you're looking for... I like mine. Inexpensive too considering what you get and compared to the competition.

G Man

Reaction score
While they only come in 2" or 3" versions, these are all I use these days. The Bison leather is way more supple than regular leather and as such, makes for a very comfortable strap. I realize these are a little above your price point, so look on ebay for seconds, they show up often enough and only run $30. Guitar Straps from Lakota Leathers

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have that exact strap (in black) and I think it's the most comfortable one that I ever tried. I paid $35 or $40 at GC, but I'm glad Amazon has it for only $25.

The only thing I don't like about it is when I am sitting to play, and I am leaning down to change my pedal settings, the strap comes loose from the top mount very often. I'm too lazy to get strap locks. :laugh2:

BACzero

Reaction score
There are a lot of leather straps out there that meet your length requirement, but I just want to throw this longer strap into the mix.

This one's a little more than $50, but not by much... and it's a great strap for the money.

Being a tall guy, I have a really hard time finding a good, leather strap that's long enough and good quality and affordable. I found it with this one... It's made by Levy’s. So far the only place I've found them is Musician's Friend. I ordered the 3" version to try and ended up liking it so much I ordered a second one.

They've recently gone up in price. I bought my first one in November, then the second one in March. Both times I paid $58 for the 3" strap. Pretty sure at the time the 2” strap was only like $40. Now the 2" strap is $69.99 :shock:, but the 3" strap is listed as a "Price Drop" for $64.41, which is only $5 more than I paid (not sure how it can be more expensive than it was two months ago and be listed as "Price Drop"... but I'm thinking of snagging one more before the price goes up).

The back is not suede, but the whole strap portion is made of garment leather, which is soft, pliable and comfortable. The ends are stiffer and reinforced. I know it sounds weird, but I was seriously excited when I found this strap. The length was the big selling point for me, originally, but the quality was what got me ordering a second one.

Levy's Leather Guitar Strap 3 In | Musician's Friend

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Go to a leather shop-- if there's one near by, that is.

They can make you whatever you want, to order.

--R
+100 on this idea :thumb:

but NOT

for one thing . leather is not as easy to work with , as some people might think . and it takes a heavy duty sewing machine to be able to stitch through it ___ not your average home sewing machine

and for decent leather scrap . an excellent source for it ( and one that I use ) , is your local Good Will and thrift stores . I collect leather jackets for scrap , for a variety of projects . every once in awhile I'll come across a good designer piece that would break my heart to put scissors into . . . so I find those good homes :)

Frankg11

Reaction score
Do go to the link above. I bought two from Italia to try using this private sale site. I have to say I am a moody's strap person and I do like the Italia. I have put in several multi-hour sessions on these straps and they are very comfortable. They may get me to change my mind. I have a few others as well, but Italia and Moody's are the ones that I use most often now.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Um, seven bucks off a hundred ain't exactly a "deep discount."

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Rich:

Check out the straps on sale at Amazon. Search "leather suede guitar strap" and then click a couple of brands. You'll find some good deals on Perris and Levy's. I've found a couple nice straps for cheap.

Latest Threads