Looking for a great 1x12 combo

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liked the DSL40 and gigged one for a couple years but ended up with a DSL20 and a speaker/tube swap (just to warm it up a bit) and am very happy. Plenty of power to keep up with a band using a PA and a small footprint/weight which is great when you have to carry your own gear.
What tubes you fit to the dsl20?

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tubes you fit to the dsl20?
Just swapped out the V1 for a JJ 5751, which gives you about 30% less gain than the typical 12AX7. This way it forces me to drive the amp harder on stage to keep up. That, plus the Celestion G12M-65 Creamback speaker completely transform the DSL20 into a low power growler.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried 82’s in other amps for lower gain, makes sense for stage use, not sure it’ll give me anything at home though, I have bought a pair of Russian el84 equivalent which I learnt about on the Marshall forum funnily enough, but not fitting them until I understand what the present valves are doing.

bluefrog

Reaction score
my secret wappon :
Marshall 1974x 18watt
+ a overdrive (xotic SL drive ,& treble booster, optionally a reverb ).
I am thrilled anytime I switch the amp on - it is a so damn good sounding dynamic amp.
my Friedman Runt 20 is also good for live gigs , but real inspiration flows in my room with the small bluesbreaker.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I stand by Carr's Mercury V, another more affordable option would be a Dr. Z Cure

jlf599

Reaction score
Might be a little late to the party, but I've ended up after a journey through almost every Marshall combo over the past 20ish years, quite a few Fender combos, and a bunch of others and landed on a Fender SuperSonic 22. Great clean channel (based on the Deluxe Reverb) and the dirty channel is based off the Tonemaster 100w tone stack -- it hits 70s Aerosmith-type sounds without any pedals at all.

Though the Jubilees...they're a one trick pony, but it's one of the absolute best tricks out there. :)

OBX351

Reaction score
Blackstar Artisan 5/15. Two channels, channel one is a very minor tweak away from being a 1974x and the second, to my ears, is a lower gain JCM 800. The two together sound fantastic. It's a beautifully hand wired, switchable 5 or 15 watt 1x12 one and done amp. It wants to break up but has nice cleans if you control your guitar vol. It's also inexpensive in the used market. You can put a more efficient speaker in it to get more vol and a bit more head room, depending on what speaker you use. I am happy with the OEM speaker, but I might switch it if I find a decently priced pulsonic speaker.

I also love my Peavey Classic 30. Mine came with a 1x12 cab as well. However, the day I got the Blackstar was the day I stopped playing it with any regularity. But the C30 is more versatile and gives you much more EQ, boost, gain options & sound control. It also has a separate pedal input. I upgraded the tubes and had my amp guy make a few minor tweaks as well. And again, you can change the speaker to make it louder or change the way it sounds and/or breaks up.

The C30 is more of a modern amp that has some vintage Fender BF and tweed tones and Marshall tones. It also has gain and a boost too if you want to get out of the 50s, 60s and early to mid 70s Marshall/Fender sounds. The BS A15 is what I would call a modern vintage Marshall amp. I love it because I LOVE Marshalls, if not I would probably play both when I am not plugged into one of JMP/JTM or Park stacks.

Good luck!

1x12 combo amps.jpg

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
Marshall JBM 215C.
I bought one last year.
PRETTY IMPRESSIVE AMP !
I had the 212 version of that amp, and I am getting ready to get the 112 version. I think it’s damned impressive. There are so many tones available from the amp, it really covers all the bases. My favorite thing about it is that you literally can use the footswitch for everything.

Gibsonblues

Reaction score
Another amp I’ve enjoyed using is the Deluxe Reverb. Takes pedals pretty well and has great cleans...

IceGator8

Reaction score
I bought a Dr. Z MAZ 18 on a whim and I'm in love with the thing. Great clean and dirty tones regardless of whether I'm playing a Fender, Gibson, or Gretsch. It's also a great pedal platform. Frankly, it has become my go-to amp. I have several other boutique amps that now sit around until I need their specific sound when recording.

netrom1965

Reaction score
Victoria Silver Sonic
20w - 1x'12 with a bassman tonestack, very lush reverb and tremolo. Powered by a pair of 6V6.
Expensive but good for almost any kind of genre.

fry

Reaction score
I bought a Dr. Z MAZ 18 on a whim and I'm in love with the thing. Great clean and dirty tones regardless of whether I'm playing a Fender, Gibson, or Gretsch.
A good friend of mine has a Bogner Shiva, it’s his favorite amp buy a mile. He tried everything on the face of the earth, and settled on the Shiva. He will never get rid of it, and will never switch to any other amp. He said everything you plug into it sounds awesome, it’s impossible to make this amp sound bad. Downside, it’s 80 watts and weighs as much as a Buick. Stupid expensive as well.

Burty459

Reaction score
I don’t know what other people’s opinions are but I really like my Blackstar Artist 10 AE.
It’s great, decent features and they can be had on the cheap!

zdoggie

Reaction score
acoustic research 1x12 ev.I can identify with the those mesa amps that are porky this baby weighs in at a solid 80lb
needless to say it's not a grab and go amp lol
zdog

DBDM

Reaction score
I just got a Gibson GA-15 Goldtone (which is really a Trace Eliott). I am in love. I really can't believe how good it sounds. I did not pay much for it because some of the pots and switches were scratchy. Took removal of 4 screws and 5 little squirts of contact cleaner to fix all of that! Very happy.

Latest Threads