Looking for a great 1x12 combo

p90rules

Reaction score
For combination of Classic Rock, blues, bit of Country rock for bar/function band.
I'm out of touch with what's available nowadays so recommendations appreciated. Thinking Marshall DSL40 but heard things about reliability issues... UK based.
Cheers guys

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For combination of Classic Rock, blues, bit of Country rock for bar/function band.
I'm out of touch with what's available nowadays so recommendations appreciated. Thinking Marshall DSL40 but heard things about reliability issues... UK based.
Cheers guys
Liked the DSL40 and gigged one for a couple years but ended up with a DSL20 and a speaker/tube swap (just to warm it up a bit) and am very happy. Plenty of power to keep up with a band using a PA and a small footprint/weight which is great when you have to carry your own gear.

David Garner

Reaction score
Depends on the budget, but if you can justify the cost, the Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie is ideal for this. Handwired, premium components, it has a 6g3 channel and a Marshall channel, the best master volume I've ever encountered, and you can switch between 3 different negative feedback values and between a solid state or tube rectifier. You can switch the bright switch on the Marshall channel in or out, and you can jumper the channels with a pull switch. It is a 1x12 combo, isn't much bigger than a Blues Jr. and weighs 30 pounds.

It is my desert island amp. I have others, but I don't need them, and honestly don't use them all that much. For the music you describe, this is your amp. Mine is in my avatar (link to the amp's webpage and a bigger pic below):

Gibsonblues

Reaction score
Mesa Boogie Fillmore 25 combo might work for you. They are fairly versatile 6V6 driven small amp that would work well for gigging in small settings without having to be miked ... cheers ..,

Eigen

Reaction score
Marshall 2554 is my favorite 1x12, basically a combo Silver Jubilee. Tons of range, great cleans and when you crank the clean channel practicaly a plexi, the overdrive channel has one of the best lead tones in history irrespective of budget. Very good blues tone on half power 25w setting and a very responsive EQ. Got it in a trade once and was planning to sell it, boy was o surprised when i plugged it in...

Big John

log stand
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The newer Silver Jub combo is a good unit, too.

If you like 'under-the-radar' 1x12 amps like I do, then either a Demeter TGA-3, or an Egnater/Rocktron TOL50, or a Bogner Shiva, or a Rivera Clubster would be worth checking out.

Eigen

Reaction score
Agree on DR if it is enough power for you! Any Mesa Mark series amp ... MKIIb, MKIII or MKIV!
He said small footprint/weight. :D

My right arm is still longer than my left from carrying around a Mark III Simulclass. I think mesa must have used depleted Uranium for the transformers..amazing amps though!

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
NOT FOR NUTHIN....as the saying goes...As we speak.......i am waiting for fedex to deliver...a FENDER 1965 DELUXE REVERB REISSUE.

Reactions: JMP

goldtop0

Reaction score
NOT FOR NUTHIN....as the saying goes...As we speak.......i am waiting for fedex to deliver...a FENDER 1965 DELUXE REVERB REISSUE.
You can't go wrong with that one..........good choice!!
I've got a LE in wine red.................put a Blue in it.............excellent........ tone and grunt for days.

Eigen

Reaction score
Did he?

BTW....you are supposed to switch hands when carrying those beast's. That way both arms stretch equally (damn, I thought that was common knowledge)
Damn, now I find out...:lol: Was worth it though, that amp had some of the best cleans I've heard and man was it loud.

Latest Threads