Looking for a good, small at home practice tube amp

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Whatre everyone's thoughts? I've done some browsing online and sunday will have an opportunity to go try some out at my local GC, but won't buy from there.

Thanks on advance

I can dig that, I'm also kind of looking for something I can play that sounds good, but won't absolutely get obnoxiously loud
I am NOT busting your chops. BUT, your question is so open ended and vague, there are literally 100s of possibles,

Really need better info

1. Budget - This is crucial.
2. Music you play, want to play? Some amps, particularly budget, smaller etc amps are good for X but not Y and Z. DO you want a decent clean and Marshall dirt. Do you just do metal. All makes a difference.
3. Dirt from pedals, Amps preamp or O tubes. Depending on the answer, exludes amps.
4. How loud is too loud?
5. Want complete quiet play, via headphones?

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I sold my tube amp, just wasn’t practical for home use. But my go to for playing and trying guitars in stores is the Marshall DSL40. I found the different channels and master volume allowed for a lot of decent usable tones at lower volumes.

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Ditto on Superchamp. You can change amp and speaker cab emulations.
I changed my speaker from the original. 15 watts.

More ditto on the Superchamp. X2 model to be exact. Own three of them. Best overall amp I've ever owned. Perfect for home and gigs.

Fender recently discontinued it but you can still find them new for $399 or used offerings easily.

speyfly

Reaction score
Super Champ XD if you can find one and if it has the original OEM speaker, that needs to be upgraded.

tzd

Reaction score
Marshall DSL1HR with 1x12 Greenback cab. It's the smallest tube amp with an effects loop, so you can add a volume pedal and further attenuate the volume if you need. Get the head and a 1x12 cab because smaller speakers just do not sound good (and you can use the cab with any future heads you buy).

Lhdr

Reaction score
Find a tube amp with a master volume to get tube breakup at extremely low volumes. I use a Supro Delta King 1x12 15 watt Very low.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Find a tube amp with a master volume to get tube breakup at extremely low volumes. I use a Supro Delta King 1x12 15 watt Very low.
Thats not actually, strictly true. A Post PI MV will get Preamp and Phase Inverter breakup, but it still isn't going to be O tube Saturation and breakup, A pre PI MV just the preamp tubes. Both just limit the volume ultimately sent to the Output section..

That isn't good or bad in itself. But, it still won't get the O tube saturation sweet spot of some amps and the note bloom et al that comes with it..

C Squared

Reaction score
blackstar
215270886_10158708052021501_2139946147476297840_n.jpg

AJK1

Reaction score
Whatre everyone's thoughts? I've done some browsing online and sunday will have an opportunity to go try some out at my local GC, but won't buy from there.

Thanks on advance
That’s nice of you

Torshalla

Reaction score
I have tried mamy low wattage tube amps… nothing beats a Kemper or QC at home volumes… can even play with headphones and get the tones you are after, and more. Portable (home + on the road solution), flexible (can have any tone you want), replaces your whole pedal board and therefore not really that expensive when you start adding up bits and pieces…

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
Depending on what you play...I have a 130 watt Bugera 333xl going in my 1960 cab... or a Fender bassbreaker 007. Both do well at low volume. That 130 watt can be as quiet as that 007 head I have....

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
Hughes and Kettner TubeMeister 5

very nice combo.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an older version Monoprice all tube 15W 12".... Mine was 192.00 to my door... It is actually a Laney 12R.... Celestion seventy/80 12"..... Damn good amp....
Monoprice makes amps which are excellent buys, and I have mentioned this one several times before on this site.

I have the Monoprice 15 watt amp. It has reverb, tone controls, and a 1W switch for practice.
Monoprice 15w amp

At $250 shipped, you can't beat it with an ugly stick! The ad list of today only $10 coupon. Amazon is selling the amp for over $300, so you should consider acting quickly. I'm seriously considering buying one in the hopes of selling it for more right before Christmas.

I like the amp, and there are end user reviews, including YouTube reviews, and I have yet to see a negative review for this amp.

Reactions: ehb

uncle mud

Reaction score
I have used a fender super champ XR for a year now and love it. If I need to be quiet I use my boss js-10 eband with headphones.

Latest Threads