Looking for a cheap pedal platform amp

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a THR10ii and a spark, but I don’t feel like those are great for pedals... they sound different than even a basic clean channel like my old blackstar HT5 had.
Have you tried either? I don't use AIAB pedals wirh my spark, but I do use a TS, Klon Klone, Timmy and a BLue Note with it.

Pick an amp model known for being a good high clean headroom, pedal amp, the Spark has several (AC 30, Couple of Fenders, etc.). Turn off compressor and drive pedals, and initially any delay or verb. Dial in a neutral tone, then try the pedal.

NYPV

Reaction score
Not cheap but...

Rhust

Reaction score
Have you tried either? I don't use AIAB pedals wirh my spark, but I do use a TS, Klon Klone, Timmy and a BLue Note with it.

Pick an amp model known for being a good high clean headroom, pedal amp, the Spark has several (AC 30, Couple of Fenders, etc.). Turn off compressor and drive pedals, and initially any delay or verb. Dial in a neutral tone, then try the pedal.

The THR can't get it. imo, it doesn't even sound good with something like a TS-style pushing it. it doesn't react the same way. I sold the THR, that is what funded the Sabbra caddabra purchase. I need to try again with the spark, I didn't try very hard there...

I use the spark way more than the THR, but neither could get a great sabbath tone, imo...

I think part of me is just hungry for something that is 2-3 knobs and a pedal... keep it simple, stupid. I also have the helix native, but again... so many options. I miss simplicity sometimes

I even considered selling the THR, spark, sabbra and looking for a Lany TI15... but those have gone to a stupid price... 700-800

Roxy13

Reaction score
I got an email from ProAudioStar about open box/demo/returns and there are some Origins. I saw a 5W, 20W and 50W with markdowns. Just wanted to let you know if any of those interest you, especially if the shipping is free.

Rhust

Reaction score
I ordered a quilter microblock. thank you all for the advice... for what I want, I think it will be just fine... and under $100

I might add a orange micro dark, later :)

I had been scanning CL... local CL has been dead, tbh Peavy was my first choice, I would love to get another 6505 MH !! that was a great amp! I sold it after I got the helix, to fund the helix...

I was close to getting a joyo zombie/meteor instead, but read some bad QC horror stories :(

thank you all!

mdubya

Reaction score
Seem like a Katana would fit the bill. :hmm:

VHT Special 6 Ultra? It has a loop for modulation options.

I used to run a ZVex Distortron in front of my Champion 600. The Distortron didn't sound great on its own, but put a fuzz or OD in front of the Distortron and OMG! That rig could make some very serious amps jealous. :shock:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I’ll probably get bashed but I’ve owned several models of Bugera Amps and have been happy. All bought used! Their T50 is supposed to be great with pedals. I’m not sure if it’s a clone like most of their amps, but I’ve played one and while I prefer more distortion and rock tones straight from the Amp, I hear they are great pedal platforms. I’m an idiot though so do further research. But could take you from personal practice to stages

Wingtip4

Reaction score
If you don’t have a good amp sound to begin with, pedals won’t fix it. Find some kind of Fender.

Rhust

Reaction score
I actually looked for a special 6 or 12 and couldn't find any VHT
If you don’t have a good amp sound to begin with, pedals won’t fix it. Find some kind of Fender.
had a 64 tremolux for 20+ years. I finally let it go

I use a helix for most things, I just wanted some kinda basic thing to run an amp in the box pedal into

Deftone

Reaction score
I ordered a quilter microblock. thank you all for the advice... for what I want, I think it will be just fine... and under $100

I might add a orange micro dark, later :)

I had been scanning CL... local CL has been dead, tbh Peavy was my first choice, I would love to get another 6505 MH !! that was a great amp! I sold it after I got the helix, to fund the helix...

I was close to getting a joyo zombie/meteor instead, but read some bad QC horror stories :(

thank you all!

I have a Joyo Zombie, I love that thing. Works great, sounds great. Powers a 2x12, 4x12...I use it with pedals in front, pedals in the loop or no pedals at all, it does everything well. Right now it's sitting on top of a Marshall 1960 Vintage with V30's, but it sounds amazing with G12T-75's too.

I'm tempted to buy the Jackman (JCM800) just to see how that one sounds.

Rhust

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to pick up a zombie 2 for fun... and maybe an orange micro dark too ... :D I love these little amps...

but I got the quilter in the mail over the weekend... I was a little on the fence... the knobs are all loose and wobbly... but the thing is dead silent no hum or hiss and sounds really good for a small solid state amp... and LOUD.

turning up the gain is not a great tone, but that's not what it's for... I dial in just enough so it's not sterile, and has some dynamics. and use the sabbra cadabra pedal as basically a preamp.

and it sounds as good as advertised... immediate sabbath tone. love it.

the quilter is a great pedal platform and reacts perfectly.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Old Traynor fits the bill. The YGM-3 (with maybe two extremely simple mods) is one of my favorite amps, and you can find them used from the 70s for still rather cheap.

Last edited:

guitfiddle

Reaction score
listened to the whole thing, bro... spot on! great job.
It's not me, but another member @guitfiddle. I agree it's spot on and sounds amazing, love that band name too, Back Stabbath!

Thanks fellas! That rig was the SG into the MD into a Rivera 4x10 cab, and goosed with a Tube Screamer type overdrive pedal.
Tom Cheers 3.jpg

Last edited:

Thundergod

Reaction score
Roland JC40. Best cheap amp for pedals. Can be played at low volumes at home and at mid volume for rehearsal and small gigs. Not heavy at all. Usable OD, great chorus and vibrato, usable reverb. All 3 are footswitchable.

Lester

Reaction score
Used Peavey Studio Pro 112 "transtube" or one of their similar amps. About $100 last I bought one. Good cleans, let your pedals do the work.

EDIT: Just noticed you already bought an amp. So ignore my post. Or buy one anyway just because. Whateva.

Latest Threads