Looking for a cheap pedal platform amp

Rhust

Reaction score
As in the title, I’m looking for a cheap, low wattage amp for a clean pedal platform for amp-in-a-box type pedals.. just something to noodle around on at home practice. I have a THR10ii and a spark, but I don’t feel like those are great for pedals... they sound different than even a basic clean channel like my old blackstar HT5 had.
Thought about just getting another ht5, or even trying the core series... but just wanted to know what’s out there?
I have a 1x12 cab with a greenback already, that’s just sitting, doing nothing

geddy

Reaction score
Have you thought about a small solid state amp? I bought a small hotone class D amp to use with a sansamp and plug into a cab. It fits on a pedal board and is handy when I can't be arsed to carry a proper amp to band practice. Was cheap too.

Rhust

Reaction score
I had thought about the hotone, or a joyo bantam ! Wasn’t sure how they would be for a pedal platform, but they are cheap enough to try, for sure.
I use my helix at church and leave it there most the time, so I just wanted something to fart around on at home, and I just picked up a sabbra cadabra pedal...

I had never seen the valeton, but that looks just about right! There is also the quilter interblock 45 pedal amp... anyone tried that? Quilter makes good stuff I’m told

Rhust

Reaction score
I think the Marshall Origins are known for being good pedal platforms. I don't have one though so I can't give you any more detail, sorry.
Actually considered that! Because an amp that sounds good by itself is a bonus

but maybe a little more than I wanted to spend... I need to check

chef

Reaction score
I had never seen the valeton, but that looks just about right! There is also the quilter interblock 45 pedal amp... anyone tried that? Quilter makes good stuff I’m told
I have been really happy with my Quilter Toneblock 202, I was looking for a high headroom amp (started thread recently), but you may also want to look into a 101, they are small and got plenty of volume and headroom.

People seem to like the interblock but I haven't played one.

The quilter stuff is the only solid state amps I've tried that have the feel, sensitivity and dynamics of my tube amps, minus noise.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Marshall Origins are known for being good pedal platforms. I don't have one though so I can't give you any more detail, sorry.
My Origin 20C seems to take pedals well, but it ain't cheap.

Roxy13

Reaction score
My Origin 20C seems to take pedals well, but it ain't cheap.
Well, that will depend on who you ask here :rofl: And of course whether you buy new or used makes a difference.

These threads tend to generate quite an array of answers. For one person cheap is under $100. And another person will name something that cost $1500 as cheap. I tend to be in the first camp lol.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Marshall Origin as mentioned above... or a DSL (1w / 5w / 20w)...

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 1W and 5W DSLs and an Origin 5 and they all take pedals well. New pricing is roughly $300 for the DSL1HR and the Origin 5, about $350 for the DSL5CR.

That Greenback would work well with the DSL1HR and the Origin 5.

Rhust

Reaction score
Any experience with the orange micro dark? Will it get clean enough for amp in a box pedals?

Torshalla

Reaction score
Or you could go Iridium... it seems to take pefal really well too... then you d need speakers though if you are not happy with headphones

tzd

Reaction score
I have 1W and 5W DSLs and an Origin 5 and they all take pedals well. New pricing is roughly $300 for the DSL1HR and the Origin 5, about $350 for the DSL5CR.

That Greenback would work well with the DSL1HR and the Origin 5.
Second the DSL1HR.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Very inexpensive for a cool clean tone platform to start with are the Clean and AC versions on the Vox MV50's.

mv50 | Sweetwater

Last edited:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’ve had a Micro Dark for a couple years, but haven’t really run pedals through it. With the volume up and the gain down it seems pretty loud and clean enough. It has an effects loop so that may work well enough for EQ, chorus, reverb and the like with od/distortion into the front.

Latest Threads