Looking for 90db or so 10" & 12" low efficiency speakers

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Reaction score
Not sure where to even begin looking. What I am interested in are a (90 db) 10" and 12" speaker to use with a 5 watt tube amp.

I am interested in a British-voiced speaker that will break up early for bedroom playing.

I tried plugging my Laney Lionheart and Dr Z Mini Z amps (both 5 watt tube amps) into a Marshall MG15 speaker cabinet, and it was pretty alright. I'd like a better quality speaker.

Want to be able to drive the power amp in the high 80s and up to 92 or so db.

TheX

wo0t
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's because we care.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
When I want speaker break up, I just turn up the speaker drive knob.:thumb:

Wrench66

Reaction score
I am searching for the same thing. My 5F1 sounds glorious through my 25 watt mic greenback, but it's just a little to loud. I just ordered a g12m-20 for this reason. It is rated at 96 db efficiency and I think it will lower the volume just enough.

I'll never head down the dark path of modeling amps :). I'm sure they are great, just not for me.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
If you play mostly 70s Rock and earlier, check out the WGS 10" Veteran. I think it's about 93dB. It might be a bit warm for modern stuff, but vintage-y stuff is great with it.

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
I am searching for the same thing. My 5F1 sounds glorious through my 25 watt mic greenback, but it's just a little to loud. I just ordered a g12m-20 for this reason. It is rated at 96 db efficiency and I think it will lower the volume just enough.

I'll never head down the dark path of modeling amps :). I'm sure they are great, just not for me.

I won't dis modeling either. I like the way you said "just not for me" I've always maintained that I like the "charm factor" of tube amps; like a '72 Chevy Nova or Chevelle (454)

If you play mostly 70s Rock and earlier, check out the WGS 10" Veteran. I think it's about 93dB. It might be a bit warm for modern stuff, but vintage-y stuff is great with it.

OK, now we're talking. I've been pretty impressed with WGS ET65. They're nice speakers.

I almost pulled the trigger on 1 earlier in the year. Maybe I should look again.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
:facepalm::dunno::slap:
I think me, Frank, and the boys over from the dark side are going to have to set up an intervention for you....

Buy a fractal and hang a picture of a Marshall stack on your wall to look at for charm factor. :laugh2:

Listen, If I was still playing in a band where I could get up there in volume, bet your ass it would be through my Voodoo VRock cranking through a Mesa 4X12. But I realized that those days are gone, and instead of struggling to get amazing tone at levels that won't get me evicted from my apartment I would just buy an Axe, and when I want charm factor I would spend the day wiping the dust of my now seldom used tube amps.:D

But I digress, keep hunting the elusive unicorn if you must...

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
:facepalm::dunno::slap:
I think me, Frank, and the boys over from the dark side are going to have to set up an intervention for you....

Buy a fractal and hang a picture of a Marshall stack on your wall to look at for charm factor. :laugh2:

Listen, If I was still playing in a band where I could get up there in volume, bet your ass it would be through my Voodoo VRock cranking through a Mesa 4X12. But I realized that those days are gone, and instead of struggling to get amazing tone at levels that won't get me evicted from my apartment I would just buy an Axe, and when I want charm factor I would spend the day wiping the dust of my now seldom used tube amps.:D

But I digress, keep hunting the elusive unicorn if you must...

I'm not hunting for anything. Quite happy with the current rig. And to set myself up with an Axe and all I'd need to make it work for me live, I'd be spending over $4000, which is ridiculous. More so when I think about how little I'd use most of the options. Money in the toilet for me.

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
Pwrmac, you RULE!!! I never said "dark side" :laugh2:

I actually feel honored (sincerely) honored that you like to give me the business, especially since Frank no longer had "new amp days" when you'd give him the business.

Thank You

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
I'm not hunting for anything. Quite happy with the current rig. And to set myself up with an Axe and all I'd need to make it work for me live, I'd be spending over $4000, which is ridiculous. More so when I think about how little I'd use most of the options. Money in the toilet for me.

right, but your not the one who I was addressing...

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Pwrmac, you RULE!!! I never said "dark side" :laugh2:

I actually feel honored (sincerely) honored that you like to give me the business, especially since Frank no longer had "new amp days" when you'd give him the business.

Thank You

:thumb:
Just trying to help a brother out, It pains me to see you caught up in the web. I have faith that some day you will come around. I have a line 6 Pod X3 sitting here doing nothing, wanna try it out?

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
:thumb:
Just trying to help a brother out, It pains me to see you caught up in the web. I have faith that some day you will come around. I have a line 6 Pod X3 sitting here doing nothing, wanna try it out?

One day, perhaps; just not there yet.

I cannot tell you how moved I am by your generosity. We truly do have some of the most giving people on this Forum.

Latest Threads