Looking at an FGN Neo Classic. What can you tell me about these?

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
The model is Neo Classic NLS10. There is not a lot of info online about this model, even on the FGN website. Is the quality on par with Epiphone MIC/MII? Pickups are called Alnico 5... any good? Lastly, what is the neck like? Thanks for any info you may have.

1664456367139.png

smk506

Reaction score
The NS10 is a slick guitar. The neck on mine is pretty slim, I wish it had a little more heft but that’s my only complaint.

My neo classic has a bit more, not sure if that’s model thing or an individual guitar thing though.

The FGN alnico5 are great pickups. They sound clear and articulate, I would say medium high output overall. Not quite a vintage paf sound, but very good in their own right.

Overall fit and finish is exceptional. On par with higher end builders. The only issue I can think of is they should have used a shorter bridge post with these thinner bodies, the post sits a little proud of the top of the bridge once the action is set nice and low.
An easy fix if it bothered me enough to actually do something about it.

Here’s a shot of mine, they do a great job with the metallic finishes.

3A20C56C-64F6-4264-A876-2657DEB2D43E.jpeg
10A08BE7-B120-44BA-9A75-F10164B7498D.jpeg

The marks and spots in the 2nd pic are just glare.

currypowder

Reaction score
My experience with the FGN Neo Classics has been with the NLC/NCLC 20Es. And I think they are fantastic, still have one in Snow White that plays and sounds fantastic. It has Duncan pickups, so I can't comment on the NLS10 pickups.

y4mMbKu9f2l51G_5a6htjlLKLMl5_pLp19puMd4s6ooa_w9LMPsJwNtkaG84TXaGriq04gbrmq1-axfIoXUxTR4o28k_TFZ5DwUtoiOUNkjWxD-DfiAz1fobN34TgC2JTug0SJPSve832TF2W4fl2K0tiyNaLUPfBpNy6Ek-8XZ6tJ5804W8Y1MQ90B_8aGJOGi

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
The NS10 is a slick guitar. The neck on mine is pretty slim, I wish it had a little more heft but that’s my only complaint.

My neo classic has a bit more, not sure if that’s model thing or an individual guitar thing though.

The FGN alnico5 are great pickups. They sound clear and articulate, I would say medium high output overall. Not quite a vintage paf sound, but very good in their own right.

Overall fit and finish is exceptional. On par with higher end builders. The only issue I can think of is they should have used a shorter bridge post with these thinner bodies, the post sits a little proud of the top of the bridge once the action is set nice and low.
An easy fix if it bothered me enough to actually do something about it.

Here’s a shot of mine, they do a great job with the metallic finishes.

View attachment 639011 View attachment 639012

The marks and spots in the 2nd pic are just glare.
Yours is very nice. I ordered it a few minutes ago... candy green. Yours is candy red?

I'm glad to hear you like the pickups.

In the video posted above, I liked the sound of the neck pickup but I thought the bridge sounded a little bass heavy for the type of music I play, but that should be an easy fix with height adjustment or a little EQ.

smk506

Reaction score
Yours is very nice. I ordered it a few minutes ago... candy green. Yours is candy red?

I'm glad to hear you like the pickups.

In the video posted above, I liked the sound of the neck pickup but I thought the bridge sounded a little bass heavy for the type of music I play, but that should be an easy fix with height adjustment or a little EQ.

Awesome! I think you’ll love it, that green is super slick looking and the board looks nice and dark.

Congrats on the pending NGD!

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Is the quality on par with Epiphone MIC/MII?

It is basicly an €pi Elitist, so two steps above other Asian made €pis....

Got my first FGN LC10 around 8 years ago
1.11 FGN NC-LC-10.JPG

more than a dozen others followed,
currently 7 in the stable, one more coming in tomorrow or Saturday
(Boundary Odyssey (Strat-Style) not yet pictured)
edit: pics of FGN #7 and #8 added
meanwhile I prefer the more modern & improved variations of the historic shapes

6XRdLvA.jpg

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
It is basicly an €pi Elitist, so two steps above other Asian made €pis....

Got my first FGN LC10 around 8 years ago
View attachment 639068

more than a dozen others followed,
currently 7 in the stable, one more coming in tomorrow or Saturday
(Boundary Odyssey (Strat-Style) not yet pictured)
meanwhile I prefer the more modern & improved variations of the historic shapes

That bass looks pretty sweet!

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Yessir. The guitar arrived on Tuesday. I'll post some nice outdoor pics this weekend.

Amazing fretwork, nice neck, and beautiful finish (candy green isn't for everyone, but I am a fan). My only complaint is the protective film on the control cavity plate is impossible to remove, almost like it was baked on. That is only a minor inconvenience, though.

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
Yessir. The guitar arrived on Tuesday. I'll post some nice outdoor pics this weekend.

Amazing fretwork, nice neck, and beautiful finish (candy green isn't for everyone, but I am a fan). My only complaint is the protective film on the control cavity plate is impossible to remove, almost like it was baked on. That is only a minor inconvenience, though.
Nice! I had a sneaking suspicion you would like it, my tokais are my current favorites but the fgn have a slight lead in the build quality, I think. Prime examples of what you can get for the money if you’re not too concerned with the headstock.

Latest Threads