Looking at a SG Supreme

74Evan

Reaction score
Originally I was going to get a 61' reissue but someone I know is selling their early 2000's SG Supreme in midnight blue. I have a few questions about this model.

Being that the guitar has a maple cap, how does this affect the tone of the guitar? Does it make it sound a bit closer to a Les Paul? More of an in between tone?

What is the neck profile on these guitars? Fat, Medium, Slim? The main reason I was drawn to the 61' reissue is its slim taper 60's neck profile. I prefer very thin necks. This is a big selling point for me.

Are the inlays on the SG Supreme real Mother Of Pearl like you would get on a Les Paul/SG custom or are they the fake plastic Mother Of Pearl that you get on a Standard?

Basically it's the Supreme vs a 61' reissue. But I like the Supreme's 24 frets and ebony fingerboard.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I picked up a 2000 Gibson SG Supreme exactly like the one you're looking at about 4 yrs. ago at a pawnshop for $625 out the door.

I was SO excited about scoring that guitar for that price, that I really didn't know exactly what I was buying.

1) The neck was too thick and sticky for me
2) It was very neck heavy and was uncomfortable to try to keep the headstock from dipping.
3) the pickups were ok, but nothing to get excited about.
4) wouldn't stay in tune to save it's life.

The guitar stayed in it's case for about 2 yrs. before I moved it and a few other guitars so I could buy my '63 Gibson ES-330.

I personally would never buy that guitar again.

I actually sold off all my SG's because I just couldn't get along with the necks, and the fact that MINE wouldn't stay in tune.

Here's the pic of the one I owned.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Originally I was going to get a 61' reissue but someone I know is selling their early 2000's SG Supreme in midnight blue. I have a few questions about this model.

Being that the guitar has a maple cap, how does this affect the tone of the guitar? Does it make it sound a bit closer to a Les Paul? More of an in between tone?

What is the neck profile on these guitars? Fat, Medium, Slim? The main reason I was drawn to the 61' reissue is its slim taper 60's neck profile. I prefer very thin necks. This is a big selling point for me.

Are the inlays on the SG Supreme real Mother Of Pearl like you would get on a Les Paul/SG custom or are they the fake plastic Mother Of Pearl that you get on a Standard?

Basically it's the Supreme vs a 61' reissue. But I like the Supreme's 24 frets and ebony fingerboard.

Thanks.
What type of music do you play?
What kind of tone are you after?

The supreme will be brighter (maple cap) and tighter (for lack of a better expression)(ebony neck).
Both have '57 Classic pickups.

For Rock and Blues, I would definitely go for the '61 Reissue.
But it's your life, your style, your choice!
:thumb:

Have FUN

Reaction score
I picked up a 2000 Gibson SG Supreme exactly like the one you're looking at about 4 yrs. ago at a pawnshop for $625 out the door.

I was SO excited about scoring that guitar for that price, that I really didn't know exactly what I was buying.

2) It was very neck heavy and was uncomfortable to try to keep the headstock from dipping.

The guitar stayed in it's case for about 2 yrs. before I moved it and a few other guitars so I could buy my '63 Gibson ES-330.

I actually sold off all my SG's because I just couldn't get along with the necks, and the fact that MINE wouldn't stay in tune.

Beauty ! and this is not photoflame ....

MSB

Reaction score
aren't they also 24 fret vs. 22 on the '61?

Cjsinla

Reaction score

I usually avoid SG’s with those heavy tuners, they are definitely a factor that contributes to neck-dive.

Dica

Reaction score
I had one and it was a awesomeguitar.
Felt much better than some Custom shops I have had.

Still you must always try before you buy or take a chance.

74Evan

Reaction score
aren't they also 24 fret vs. 22 on the '61?
Yes they are. I thought this would change the tone of the neck pick up but I noticed it doesn't make a difference on the SG. The neck pickup is closer to the bridge on all models due to that little plastic cover over the tenon between the fretboard and pickup. So the 24 frets just fill in the gap without moving the pickup which is a plus over a regular SG .

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
I usually avoid SG’s with those heavy tuners, they are definitely a factor that contributes to neck-dive.
Yea CJ, the neck dive was a big factor, but like I said, the fat neck and not staying in tune, we're the nails in the coffin for that guitar.

StudioFan

Reaction score
All of the info out there states Slim Taper profile neck and MOP inlays .

Not sure what Texsunburst59 means by fat neck ? SG's have a seemingly wide neck but slim taper wouldn't be fat ...

Wouldn't mind owning a supreme !
Even with already having a well made Special and an early Gothic .

Neck dive on some SG guitars .....strap button is in the wrong place ...many have moved it to the top horn .

moreles

Reaction score
There are numerous threads all over the web with SG players in death matches over neck dive. It's hard to generalize because it looks like fairly slight variations (a few oz.) in the instrument -- exact body weight being one; tuners are indeed another -- can give you a guitar that is balanced, or pulls down, or freaking dives for the center of the earth every time you take your hand off. I have a beautiful '87 '61 reissue LP/SG Custom that is nearly balanced, and with maybe 6 oz. of lead shot in a pouch in the control cavity, perfectly so. But plenty of SG players find it necessary to keep a hand on the neck, or use a particular strap material, or move the strap button, etc, etc., to counteract dive. Switching to lighter tuners can also make a big difference. I mention all this just to say that I love the look of some of the supremes, and definitely love an ebony board on a SG. But if the individual instrument is not well-balanced, all that stuff is, to me, irrelevant. Regular SGs can neck dive too, but the heavy tuners and perhaps somewhat heavier fretboard make it more likely on the one you're considering. Try it and see. The Supreme features are, to me, pluses, and not merely for cosmetic reasons.

Have FUN

Reaction score
No it's not photo flame.

I had no problem with the guitar looks at all, and I wish I could have kept it, but it just didn't deliver the good where it needed to.
For sure, this is not a poor chinese copy !

Beautiful finish

kakerlak

Reaction score
If a friend is selling it, just go check it out and see how you like it!