"Look at me, I've identified a fake!"

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
Why do people feel the need to start a new thread to tell everyone that they've found a fake?

It's even more annoying and pointless than all the "Is this fake?" threads!

Is it an ego thing? Are people proud of their achievement? Do they expect congratulations? What went wrong with their childhood?

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
Maybe they want to inform less knowledgable members who might be shopping for a new guitar what to avoid.

LPGeoff

Reaction score
I don't care WHO found it.

I just like that they're found.

It helps ME learn what to look for.

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
Maybe they want to inform less knowledgable members who might be shopping for a new guitar what to avoid.
There is more than enough threads here on how to properly identify a fake without someone starting a thread for every one they find on the internet.

The chances of someone happening accross the thread which concerns a guitar they may be considering buying is extremely slim to say the least. :laugh2:

Agave_Blue

Reaction score
There is more than enough threads here on how to properly identify a fake ....
No. Theres not. What s here is scattered all over the place and occasionally contradictory. Newer threads rarely if ever identify the things that give away the fakes.

There is no single thread that lists and compares what to look for in fake vs real (except the one in the Norlin section which is only partial). And no one wants to make one because then "the fakers will know what to fix".

Over the past 3 months or so, I've read countless threads (and the Gibson fake spotting white paper), seen countless LP pics and seen numerous fakes posted. I still can't tell one from the other.

Just because a good number of enthusiast have the experience to spot fakes (experience not random misc threads) doesn't mean everyone else does.

I do agree that its pretty unlikely that a "Hey I Found Another Fake" thread will impact a community user. Unlikely, but still possbile. If it helps one member, that's good rigth?

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
No. Theres not. What s here is scattered all over the place and occasionally contradictory. Newer threads rarely if ever identify the things that give away the fakes.

There is no single thread that lists and compares what to look for in fake vs real (except the one in the Norlin section which is only partial). And no one wants to make one because then "the fakers will know what to fix".
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/47211-how-tell-if-gibson-les-paul-fake.html

There are others, but they're not surprisingly buried amongst the mounds of "fake?!" threads, and I don't feel like looking for them.

Agave_Blue

Reaction score

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
I humbley stand corrected. Don't know how I missed that, it's been bumped recently.

Thanks for the link.

That thread should be a sticky.
No problem, if I didn't know it was there I probably wouldn't have found it either. :laugh2:

I think a stickied 'fake' thread would save a lot of time...and new threads

Mike-t

Reaction score
I actually check every "fake les paul" thread that I see and I learn something each time, whether it is fake or not... It keeps me occupied when I'm supposed to be working.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
And for this useful thread:

Congratulations, here's a cookie.

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I humbley stand corrected. Don't know how I missed that, it's been bumped recently.

Thanks for the link.

That thread should be a sticky.
It does get lost in the shuffle. :rolleyes:

It's cool though, the Epi guys get a sticky. For the most part, the same kind of tip offs apply to fake Gibsons.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
So...how comes there's like..no fake amplifiers thread mayn?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Over the past 3 months or so, I've read countless threads (and the Gibson fake spotting white paper), seen countless LP pics and seen numerous fakes posted. I still can't tell one from the other.

Just because a good number of enthusiast have the experience to spot fakes (experience not random misc threads) doesn't mean everyone else does.
If you can tell the difference between these two things?

And a

Then you should be able to tell the difference between a real and a fake Gibson LP.:thumb:

And as I've said many times, it doesn't take an expert be able to spot a fake.

porkchop87

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? You find the fake les paul threads annoying? Those threads are 100x more useful than half the junk that gets posted around here... in fact, I encourage people to post and ask even more... this forum is such a valuable resource to bring the scumbags who sell fakes down...

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score

And a

Then you should be able to tell the difference between a real and a fake Gibson LP.:thumb:

Now that is funny!! And commenting on the information is often contradictory, that is because many people CANNOT tell their ass from a hole in the ground. Fake threads of all sorts are very annoying.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, I don't mind the "Is this fake?" threads. It really pisses me off when people claim something genuine is fake.

You know... The ones who make thread titles like, "This is fake!!" when it is clearly not. Either educate yourself on the issue or STFU. :laugh2:

GNR4EVR

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just wait and watch the tornado as it roars to a screeching halt... And then watch the aftermath of the inevitable wrath from the fellow members. Never fails to be amusing.. :)

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

And a

A Donkey and a Meteorite Crator?:applause:

Latest Threads