Long tenon or short tenon?

paul97100

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a MIJ Epiphone Les Paul Special with P90 pickups made by Fujigen. I think it was made in 2006. The serial number starts F60... I’m trying to figure out if it has a long tenon or short tenon. Can anyone see which it is from looking at the picture of the neck pickup cavity? Thanks.

Attachments

DrBGood

Reaction score
This is what a long tenon looks like in my 2003 Vintage G400.

Long tenon 1.jpg

paul97100

Reaction score
Thanks for sending the picture. I read a post on here where someone believed that all Fujigen Les Pauls (Epiphone, Orville, Cool Z, etc) had long tenons, but mine looks nothing like yours, so makes me think probably a short tenon. It’s a lovely guitar, so doesn’t really matter. Thanks.

DrBGood

Reaction score
You're welcome, but now wait ... you can't leave without showing us that marvel !
What is the serial number on it for you to say it's Japanese ?

paul97100

Reaction score
I have one of the new MIC Epiphone Les Paul Specials (Inspired by Gibson). As far as I’m aware, they stopped making them in Japan over 10 years ago, so the only ones available now are made in Gibson’s China factory. I don’t know if I got lucky, but it feels and plays beautifully. It’s got some fit and finish issues that you wouldn’t get with a MIJ guitar, eg, visibly jagged CNC routing around the pickup cavities, but it feels great to hold and play. Definitely a keeper. It has a short tenon, but for the price I’m not surprised. I think Fujigen are still making them under the Cool Z brand. I’m very tempted to buy one. A Heritage Les Paul Special is another one I’m interested in.

therealfrogman

A fool and his money....
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a short tenon and this one looks like one from the Epiphone MIJ LQ series, lacquer and fujigen build. Top shelf guitar IMO, IIRC the "n" is the telltale as well as the lacquer finish. Long tenons are not an issue for me and it is not a factor in my purchase decisions.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
Here ye go :)
Lacquer Series, nice! I have one of those sitting right here in front of me now. They made thoses for two years. The color is more muted than your pics show. Mine gets played all the time. Lots of dents and dings in mine, I love it.

paul97100

Reaction score
I spoke to a luthier today who shared some interesting views about the tenon joint on Gibson style solid body guitars. In his view, a long tenon is only necessary in a SG or Les Paul DC body. In the classic Les Paul SC body a long tenon isn’t necessarily because the SC body has sufficient strength to support a short tenon. Basically, his view is that a long tenon in an SC body is overkill and does little to enhance tonality or resonance. My MIJ Epiphone Les Paul Special is incredibly resonant and has a beautiful tone, so I can see where he’s coming from. I’m talking to him about doing a custom built Les Paul SC. I’ll post pictures when it’s finished.

workerunit

Reaction score
This is an example of a long neck tenon in a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I like long neck tenons in a Les Paul type guitar because I think it is mechanically stronger wood joint. I have no idea what difference it makes to the sound of the guitar, if any.
2009 Gibson Les Paul Standard tenon 1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads