London in the 60s & 70s

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hear ya' man....I threw out a bunch of old 35mm film negatives from around 1980 because they were a little lacking in quality.

Could fix most of that in Photoshop now.....stupid.

Yeah, EVH with a BURST, stupid. :shock:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
You're talking about guineas, right?. Is that what the "Gns"represented in that old ad?. Seems like an odd amount to have a term for (21). I wonder how that came about?. We in the U.S. have terms for a dollar (buck, etc.) and others for $5 or $10 or for certain coins, because those are standard tender here. Very interesting. I've also noticed on UK sites that while some have adopted the Euro, others still stick with pounds. Must still be some controversy about the change over there.
Thanks again,
Al

The guinea used to be an actual gold coin, although it was last minted in 1813. The funny denomination was a result of Britain adopting the gold standard in 1717, and the relative values of gold and silver at the time put its value at 21 silver shillings. Note that the pound sterling didn't become the official monetary unit until 1816 (at which time the guinea coin was replaced by the £1 (20/-) gold sovereign).

Blacksheep

Reaction score
In the horse world prices are still quoted in guineas at many of the big sales in Britain and Ireland

the great waldo

Reaction score
I love to buy those old magazines, even now....when I can find them...Japanese mags too!!!!!

Hi Ernest
One of my teachers at the London college of Furniture where I studied guitar making was Stephen Delft and he used to write articles for International Musician (I never really liked the guy, but thats life) but the mag was always a good read.
Cheers

Andrew

goldtop0

Reaction score
Hi Ernest
One of my teachers at the London college of Furniture where I studied guitar making was Stephen Delft and he used to write articles for International Musician (I never really liked the guy, but thats life) but the mag was always a good read.
Cheers

Andrew

He's been over here in NZ for many decades and I had a bit to do with him re guitars in the '80s early '90s. Haven't seen him since then.
Apparently he's changed his name to Simcha Delft, with a gender change also.

Latest Threads