Locking Tuners that require very little modification for 57 Custom Shop

mafmmx

Reaction score
I am in the market for a set of locking tuners for my 2011 57 Custom. I prefer a high gear ratio. A few that i have seen are 15:1 and dont really require much modifying to the guitar but i prefer a higher 18-19-20:1 ratio locking tuner?

I dont mind having to mod my LP but i am doing this myself and i dont want something that requires to much work that i could possibly screw up.

Any recommendations? The reason for the locking tuners is simply to make string changes easier for me since i am visually impaired.

Thanks

Photo of the tuners currently installed
IMG_3403.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score

i have these on one of my guitar. Doesnt keep the vintage look of the tuners but theyre the higher ratio youre looking for. Gotohs look vintage but theyre 15:1

both do not require modification

Roxy13

Reaction score
You will have to enlarge the peg holes for the Klusons though.

mafmmx

Reaction score
The Gotohs look nice but 15:1

I wonder if i should just say screw it and go with a 15:1, Seems to be many more options. I just feel the higher gear ratio would make for a more accurate tuning and much easier to achieve that accurate tuning. The 15:1 just seems like it would be a lot more sensitive to the slightest turn.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have to enlarge the peg holes for the Klusons though.
i didn't with the kluson revolutions, i am not keen on the look though, seem a bit 'clumsy' looking, what they do have in their favour is a very good mech and 19:1 ratio. I have been agonising over wether to put them on the new goldtop, will be a direct fit with no change to anything else. wouldn't mind a bit more accuracy as started to use sweetened tunings from Peterson, and thinking a bit more precision wouldn't hurt.

Roxy13

Reaction score
i didn't with the kluson revolutions, i am not keen on the look though, seem a bit 'clumsy' looking, what they do have in their favour is a very good mech and 19:1 ratio. I have been agonising over wether to put them on the new goldtop, will be a direct fit with no change to anything else. wouldn't mind a bit more accuracy as started to use sweetened tunings from Peterson, and thinking a bit more precision wouldn't hurt.
The ones on StewMac say they need a 10 mm hole. Maybe there are other Kluson Revolutions though?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
ooh, let me look at were i got mine, don't want to give out conflicting info for OP.

I'm back lol, they are available in the u.k. in metric and vintage hole sizes. The only thing i had to do was reuse original screws as the ones supplied were too thin.

these are ones i bought:

Last edited:

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
The ones on StewMac say they need a 10 mm hole. Maybe there are other Kluson Revolutions though?
There are two versions- one for a 10 mm hole with the screw in collar and another that fits the smaller vintage holes with press in bushings. Good luck finding the 10 mm right now- like everything else they’re in very short supply!

Roxy13

Reaction score
Cool, they can be bought in both sizes. I learned something and then hopefully the OP and anyone else reading the thread buys the correct ones for their guitar then. Reaming those holes out in the hs can be a real pain (been there, done that). So can getting out the bushings nicely.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, they can be bought in both sizes. I learned something and then hopefully the OP and anyone else reading the thread buys the correct ones for their guitar then. Reaming those holes out in the hs can be a real pain (been there, done that). So can getting out the bushings nicely.
Yeah, i bought the wrong ones first time round lol.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yeah, i bought the wrong ones first time round lol.
I can see that though! I bet a lot of people don't realize that different types of stock tuners have a different diameter holes in the hs. See, I looked at the link above for the Klusons at Stew Mac and realized they wouldn't fit his guitar without modification and that's why I posted that warning.

mafmmx

Reaction score
I guess the best way for me to do this is remove one tuner and measure the hole with calipers so that way i order the correct size. Awesome, Thanks guys!

Roxy13

Reaction score
You need the ones with the smaller diameter that fits inside the press in bushings.

moreles

Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone needs locing tuners on a LP, or the point of having a '57 and then adding hardware not in existence anywhere near that era, but that's just me, I guess.

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
I love the ease of string changes with locking tuners. I have them on every LP I own (mostly standards). But that’s just me.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone needs locing tuners on a LP, or the point of having a '57 and then adding hardware not in existence anywhere near that era, but that's just me, I guess.
I didn’t buy the ones I have for the ‘57, but since I have them was curious as to if they would help with sweetened tunings or not, like I say I am torn and will probably not, because they will, as you point out, totally kill the 50’s vibe.

mafmmx

Reaction score
Well if you read my post then maybe you would understand.. Just my guess though..

Latest Threads