Locking tuners - how are your experiences?

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I know how to do all of those styles of stringing, but I still prefer my Grovers with the internal locking cam, the 102 Series I believe. No thumb wheel, no extra screw hole. If the guitar has Klusons, I’ll use the Gotoh locking internal cam. Only 15:1 ratio, but more than adequate given what Klusons are anyhow.

Standard 64

Reaction score
I like both the Kluson and Grover locking tuners although I agree that the knob mechanism is a royal pain in the A. There has to be a better way.

Can’t stand Kluson’s though. They came on a 2000 Parker Fly Classic I acquired and they felt cheap to me...plus the locking wheel was the worst I’ve ever used. Hard to turn, hurt my hand and never felt secure enough.

Otherwise I’m a big fan of locking tuners as I have them on all my gigging guitars and on a few others that go in and out of ny rotation. Love the quick changes, And I feel that combined with a good set up, Plek and a well cut bone nut and it contributes to staying in tune. Never regretted using them.
The new Kluson Revolutions came out in 2015

Last edited:

PAPADON

Reaction score
Back in the day slotted shafts were the effective and cheap solution for that issue and came standard on all Fender guitars. Then they pretty much went away to be replaced by another effective but more expensive solution called locking tuners. I'm not positive about why that happened but my hunch is that someone along the way figured out how to make more money with a more complicated solution to solve a problem that had already been solved just as effectively and for less. I don't know who that person was but they should be inducted into the marketing hall of fame for inventing an industry that never actually needed to exist.

1607900175805.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads