Locking tuners - how are your experiences?

Deftone

Reaction score
I've always liked locking tuners. I have the Sperzels on my SG Standard. I prefer that style. I have modified them in the past to fit w/o putting any new holes in the guitar.

I wasn't crazy about the older Grover locking tuners but they worked.

I've thought about making my own by drilling & tapping the peg for a set screw.

C Squared

Reaction score
I have been using Hipshots on all my instruments for about 15 years now. Precise tuning, lightweight, faster string changes though I really don't worry about that much these days. Not needing the extra wraps I find string stretch is minimal after changing.

jvin248

Reaction score

If you do the roadie trick I was taught, then you don't see any string change speed improvements with locking tuners.

Bring the string up from the bridge, over the nut, and wrap around the post from the bottom up to the hole (3 times for wound and 4 times for smooth strings), make sure the wraps are clean not over-lapping, and pull the end of the string tight through the eye. Crank up the tuner to pitch the same amount as a locking tuner takes. Done. No measuring string to guess how much to wrap, no tuner knob winder tool, easy. This was from a roadie who swapped strings a dozen times a night before shows on tours.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score

If you do the roadie trick I was taught, then you don't see any string change speed improvements with locking tuners.

Bring the string up from the bridge, over the nut, and wrap around the post from the bottom up to the hole (3 times for wound and 4 times for smooth strings), make sure the wraps are clean not over-lapping, and pull the end of the string tight through the eye. Crank up the tuner to pitch the same amount as a locking tuner takes. Done. No measuring string to guess how much to wrap, no tuner knob winder tool, easy. This was from a roadie who swapped strings a dozen times a night before shows on tours.

still no physical way (# of steps) that'd be faster than locking tuners.

plenty of ways to skin a cat though.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
still no physical way (# of steps) that'd be faster than locking tuners.

plenty of ways to skin a cat though.
At one point, I was maintaining a class set of 30 Yamaha guitars, plus my own. The only thing I've ever got fast at on a guitar was a string change. Using @jvin248 's noted method, I believe I change a string with a regular tuner as fast as I would with a locking one. IF the locker was faster, I'd say maybe by a couple of seconds, and less than a minute for a six string?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I have them on 2 different guitars. Sperzel's on an SG, and Gotoh's on a Samick. I don't see a need for them, unless you do a lot of trem work without a locking nut. I don't find string changes that much easier as some do. I quote Adrian Legg from one of his books, "It's just more fiddlely bits." But I respect those who think they need them.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
At one point, I was maintaining a class set of 30 Yamaha guitars, plus my own. The only thing I've ever got fast at on a guitar was a string change. Using @jvin248 's noted method, I believe I change a string with a regular tuner as fast as I would with a locking one. IF the locker was faster, I'd say maybe by a couple of seconds, and less than a minute for a six string?
You just confirmed my assumption

moreles

Reaction score
Since I don't do vicious divebombing, I've never had strings slip at all and so have zero need for locking tuners. Some of my guirars came with them, and I've used those, and they work fine. Saving one turn of string around a post through the use of locking tuners is insignificant to me, while the added weight is an issue (though minor). I don't like excess complexity, and I don't like the looks of any of the locking tuners.

Big electric cat

Reaction score
I've never put locking tuners on my Les Paul's. I have locking Sperzels on a Strat of mine and they work great. I also have them on my PRS guitars and they work great too.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Here's my good friend Phil showing how he does it.

I do the same, although I wind even less turns than he shows. I only give an extra turn or so on the B and high E. The others don't get any slack or extra turns, other than just when they are stretched at tuning. They don't slip so I don't bother.

I have locking tuners on some guitars (that came with them) and others without. I've never felt that twisting that knob on the back of the tuner was any faster than just wrapping the string around itself. If it is, by how much? 1.5 seconds?

The first Fender solidbodies had a good system, also, with safety posts. I've had high E and B pull out of those without an extra turn or over/under turn, though.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first Fender solidbodies had a good system, also, with safety posts. I've had high E and B pull out of those without an extra turn or over/under turn, though.
Ya, if I don't have locking tuners, I go with over/under.
Tuners.jpg

I tried the "loop back" one time... it was a PITA to remove and I won't do it again.
I never needed to in the last 40 years, don't see the need now.

Tuner.jpg

Big electric cat

Reaction score

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I tried the "loop back" one time... it was a PITA to remove and I won't do it again.
I never needed to in the last 40 years, don't see the need now.
View attachment 505547

I nip the string with a small pair of dykes, right at that outside point that protrudes the most, wrapped around the kink. Just falls off. Sometimes I use end nippers (flush cutters? I don't know the right term). They work well, too.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I nip the string with a small pair of dykes, right at that outside point that protrudes the most, wrapped around the kink. Just falls off. Sometimes I use end nippers (flush cutters? I don't know the right term). They work well, too.
The way my eyes are lately, I'm doing good to trim the tails without clipping the string between the tuner and the nut too :D

Big electric cat

Reaction score

That's exactly the way I do it too. I stretch the hell outta my strings then I usually leave an eighth of an inch of string away from the tuning post then I cut with a pair of dykes. Then I push the eighth of a string parallel to the headstock. Works like a charm!

Standard 64

Reaction score
Locking tuners-Yes Yes and heck Yes!!!! I hate changing strings.Love locking tuners:)
Guitar stays in tune better than stock tuners,or at least it seems that way.I have Kluson revolutions
on my Tribute and Grovers (without the locking thumb wheel) on my 05 Standard.The Revolution Klusons
are a direct fit.Unscrew the 2 little screws on the back,loosen the top not on top and replace.So easy.Should take you about 30 minutes.They look great too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads