Locking tuners - how are your experiences?

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Reaction score
Oh, those are BAD ASS!!!!

I love locking tuners; my 2008 Les Paul Standard Model (from year 2011) has them and I've been a fan ever since.

@LtDave32 is putting them on my custom-built Desert Star Michael Schenker V that he's building for me.

I think I'll try these out for some of my other Lesters

BDW60

Reaction score
Just got some Kluson 3+3 Revolution tuners for my '19 Original 50s. Apparently they require zero modification from the Klusons I already have on it.

Have you guys put locking tuners on yours? How was the change?

Here's the page for them: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...evolution-series-g-mount-tuning-machines.html

I have the Revs on my R8. Better tuners in every way than stock. Smoother, more precise, quick changes. Worth every bit of the 70 bucks they cost. No, they aren’t “necessary” but neither are expensive guitars ... :)

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have them on a couple of my guitars...as stock equipment...not aftermarket....they do speed up string change and add more mass.

Though they don’t really help with a poorly cut nut,... or other causes of tuning issues.

tigerflame

Reaction score
I have the Revs on my R8. Better tuners in every way than stock. Smoother, more precise, quick changes. Worth every bit of the 70 bucks they cost. No, they aren’t “necessary” but neither are expensive guitars ... :)

Yeah that's why I went for them. Mainly for quick and less annoying string changes.

Do you guys still wrap strings around the post with these or no?

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The original locking tuner was the kluson safety post, as found on early fenders. You just put the end of the string in the hole, hook the string in the slot, and wind it up. That string isn't going anywhere.

I'm the one guy in the world that doesn't really like locking tuners. Most of them have an offset hole, a shaft, and a hollow shaft outside of that. You can lock the outer shaft, and because of the offset hole, it pinches and locks the string.

I find them to be a pain in the butt Gizmo, but people like them, so I put them on for people.

Personally, I wish Grover would have come out with a safety post type tuner like Kluson did. I would use it every time.

just my personal opinion, folks.

tigerflame

Reaction score
I have those safety post tuners on my P bass, yeah. They're not bad, though I never change those strings so it doesn't matter to me on that particular instrument.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original locking tuner was the kluson safety post, as found on early fenders. You just put the end of the string in the hole, hook the string in the slot, and wind it up. That string isn't going anywhere.

I'm the one guy in the world that doesn't really like locking tuners. Most of them have an offset hole, a shaft, and a hollow shaft outside of that. You can lock the outer shaft, and because of the offset hole, it pinches and locks the string.

I find them to be a pain in the butt Gizmo, but people like them, so I put them on for people.

Personally, I wish Grover would have come out with a safety post type tuner like Kluson did. I would use it every time.

Yeah,... I could never understand why these safety tuners weren’t used on Gibson’s.... ain’t nothing worse than poking holes in your fingers at a gig... that was the reason for leaving all that wrapped hoops of string on the peg head.... you can’t poke yourself with cut off string at the post while threading the eye of another.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Reaction score

Yeah,... I could never understand why these safety tuners weren’t used on Gibson’s.... ain’t nothing worse than poking holes in your fingers at a gig... that was the reason for leaving all that wrapped hoops of string on the peg head.... you can’t poke yourself with cut off string at the post while threading the eye of another.
DAMN, I learn so much shtuff on this here far-um

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I love locking tuners but I HATE the ones with the thumbscrews to lock down the screw. I just think it looks clunky. I like the Grovers that Lt. Dave hates with the internal locking cam. I have the Callaham version of the safety post tuners on my Strat and I love those. Strangely, the only guitar I will accept a locking thumb wheel tuner on is a Strat. I am a messy bag of contradictions. I just wish Grover made the locking version I like in nickel. If I want lockers on my Les Paul, I have to buy Kluson Style tuners with the internal locking cam, since they come in nickel. Acceptable, but not as nice as the Grover IMO.

skydog

Reaction score
I agree with LtDave32: the best ever were the kluson style put on early Fenders. Would love to find something comparable in a 3+3. I use Sperzels too. My favorite non locking set is Gotoh Delta 510’s. So smooth!

kakerlak

Reaction score
The very slickest locking tuners were the original PRS/Schallers with the little winged collars and cammed posts. Those are super fast and foolproof and I can't fathom why they went away from the design.

Sperzels, Grovers, the new PRS ones... All the designs where you have to try to screw down a knurled knob with your fingers (that adds a bunch of weight) or break out a coin and hope you don't gouge up some screwhead are silly. And those don't self-tighten with string tension, either -- they rely on you applying mechanical force to counter it. And they're needlessly heavy.

dro

Reaction score
Had locking Grover's on a couple Les Paul's. Not a fan. Many of my G&L's had locking Sperzel's. Love them. Put a set on my MIM Fender.
Sperzel back.JPG
headstock face.JPG

Latest Threads