Locking Tuners for Les Paul Junior

nimrod

Reaction score
My main guitar I use for my band is a Les Paul Junior. It would be nice not to deal with tuning so much between songs during live shows. So I figured locking tuners are the way to go. The nut is not the issue. It's a bone nut that replaced a crappy plastic nut by a Gibson custom shop luthier. Just typical tuning issues.

I really would like to stay true to the aesthetic of classic Les Paul Junior oval button knobs. Gotoh has some according to their Japan website, but I can't seem to find them being sold from a US retailer. All US retailers seem to have the Gotoh locking tuners with the keystone-style tuning knobs. Any help would be appreciated.

BDW60

Reaction score
Lockers are a better mousetrap. Especially on a gig guitar. Proceed and enjoy.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The tuners could be not holding the strings well, if you have already replaced the nut. I always go with locking tuners on most of my guitars. I put the Gotoh Vintage locking tuners on my 59, they look good and hold tune well. The screw holes from the Kluson matched up, it was an easy switchover.

gotoh1.jpg

gotoh4.jpg

gotoh5.jpg

nimrod

Reaction score
Locking tuners will do nothing to address tuning issues. On a fixed bridge guitar, they do nothing except shave a bit of restringing time.

Yup, this exactly. If you have stability issues changing the tuners to lockers won't solve them.

Can you please explain the point of locking tuners then? Intonation is not my issue. I make it work pretty well with the fixed bridge. My problem comes from a string going flat after a song or two.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Can you please explain the point of locking tuners then? Intonation is not my issue. I make it work pretty well with the fixed bridge. My problem comes from a string going flat after a song or two.
IMO, necessary for a guitar with a vibrato bridge. The wind around the posts gets some slack with every dive bomb. But with a fixed bridge, the only benefit is a slightly faster string change.

I know you had a bone nut cut, but it might be worth it to have it looked at. In my experience, that has been the main problem when I’ve had tuning issues.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
If you are going flat and have to tune back up, then the nut is not binding, you may have a tuner that is slipping a little bit possibly. If you have to tune down, then the string is binding and it is the nut. As mentioned above, a lubricant or graphite can help if the string is binding, but if the nut is holding it, then it is a simple adjustment to the nut.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
So if locking tuners won't do anything to address tuning instability, then neither will this technique. Or am I wrong about that?
Nope, it wont do a thing...except piss off the next tech who gets to unwind those posts....

Gm7b5

Reaction score
Nope, it wont do a thing...except piss off the next tech who gets to unwind those posts....
Ha. I've bought a few guitars wound that way and I know it pisses me off. I've never been convinced that winding in that manner increases tuning stability.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suck at winding…always have
locking tuners work for my skill set 100X better than normal tuners…
it’s my fault as I’m a bad wrapper but the Fact stands: for me, locking tuners are WAY more stable

-chris

Latest Threads