Locking Grovers.

jeggz

Reaction score
How do you guys like em?

I usually use the Gotoh Magnums, but they don’t come in nickel, so I’m thinking about the Grovers.

Is it me, or do they stick out farther from the ears of the headstock than regular Milk Bottles?

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
Grover locking tuners came on my les Paul traditional pro. They came with the keystone buttons. I changed them to the kidney bean buttons. The only difference I see is the thumb wheel on the back. They look the same compared to my other les Pauls that have the regular grovers.

Brek

Reaction score
I got the kluson revolutions, yeah string changes were quicker, but so what? I hated the look of them. That wheel, every time I saw it I wanted to vom. Gone back to the original ones.

jeggz

Reaction score
I got the kluson revolutions, yeah string changes were quicker, but so what? I hated the look of them. That wheel, every time I saw it I wanted to vom. Gone back to the original ones.
That’s why I use them.
Fast string changes, I’m a heavy handed acidic sweater, I gotta change em every night, it’s a chore.

jeggz

Reaction score
Grover locking tuners came on my les Paul traditional pro. They came with the keystone buttons. I changed them to the kidney bean buttons. The only difference I see is the thumb wheel on the back. They look the same compared to my other les Pauls that have the regular grovers.
Perfect.

Nimco

Reaction score
I have to Rotomatics on my studio, and they wouldn't be my first choice.

Massive footprint on the headstock, and Kidney bean buttons which are much harder to replace than you'd think.

Brek

Reaction score
That’s why I use them.
Fast string changes, I’m a heavy handed acidic sweater, I gotta change em every night, it’s a chore.
Fair play buddy, I would do same lol, just need a sick bag nearby, lol. In terms of aesthetics I love me those vintage milk bottles. Gotta have pat pending USA stamped on them though.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto.

Here's a comparison. Don't go by the edge of the headstock, that's a 2019 LP and 2019 Flying-V, gold lockers are on the V

Grovers.jpg

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I have locking Grovers, not on my LP, but on two USA Dean Hardtails. They look just like the regular Grovers, no big locking button on the back. I did not want that look for my guitar. I can’t recall the model name or number, but they have the internal cam inside the post. You insert the string and the cam turns until it locks on the string, then the post turns and tunes the string to pitch. Easy Peasy.

Edit....it’s the 106 series from Grover. Here is one link to buy them. I’m sure there are others.

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have locking Grovers, not on my LP, but on two USA Dean Hardtails. They look just like the regular Grovers, no big locking button on the back. I did not want that look for my guitar. I can’t recall the model name or number, but they have the internal cam inside the post. You insert the string and the cam turns until it locks on the string, then the post turns and tunes the string to pitch. Easy Peasy.

Edit....it’s the 106 series from Grover. Here is one link to buy them. I’m sure there are others.

I'm not really crazy about that design.
I've seen a few that are broken.

Hogie34

Reaction score
I'm not really crazy about that design.
I've seen a few that are broken.
Yeah, mine are dead. 4 out of the 6. Which reminds me, I need to pull them out and mail them off to Grover. Hopefully they’ll let me switch them out for the regular thumb wheel design.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine are dead. 4 out of the 6. Which reminds me, I need to pull them out and mail them off to Grover. Hopefully they’ll let me switch them out for the regular thumb wheel design.
Trogly had a set with one broken on his Reverb store for months. Looks like it's gone now.
His was broken in a way that it was not usable... the tip had broken off, so no hole through which to thread the string.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Wow. I’ve had 3 sets of those and 2 I’ve had for over 10 years now with no problems. Guess I’m in the minority on that one. I just don’t like the way the thumb wheel looks on the back of a Lester, plus more weight. But whatever people like and works for them is great man!

Arf

Reaction score
There are some good things about locking tuners, but the effect on tuning is totally overrated. Most are eyesores too, especially Sperzels. Grovers are easily the best looking, and sometimes I have to look twice to notice the knob - nicely done. I did like the knobless locking Klusons I had on a guitar years ago. But now they relocated the string hole on the post and they're useless.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some good things about locking tuners, but the effect on tuning is totally overrated. Most are eyesores too, especially Sperzels. Grovers are easily the best looking, and sometimes I have to look twice to notice the knob - nicely done. I did like the knobless locking Klusons I had on a guitar years ago. But now they relocated the string hole on the post and they're useless.
+1
I really don't like the PRS style lockers, which is similar to the design that Tronical used on the robot tuners.
But I do generally go with locking tuners if it can be done cleanly with factory-style tuners like Grover or Fender/Ping. I don't care for the knob on the back of the Kluson tuners, so will generally stick with stock for those, and my '70s style Partscaster has Fender/Ping "F" tuners.
It's just a convenience thing for restringing. It's not a big deal... been stringing guitars since Carter was in the White House, I'm just lazy ;)

Latest Threads