***Locating Tailpiece Studs***

JKHamby

Reaction score
After searching and not finding anything on point, I have a question:

1. Are the stud locations for the tailpiece on LP a fixed distance from the pickup pocket, or does precision not truly matter? I have the Bartlett plans but I am not certain if I need to do a special measurement.

TIA

Jason

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 3 Gibsons in front of me right now; a dot 335, a SG, and a 58 RI.

All have the tailpiece at a distance from the bridge of 1 1/2" , center of bridge to center of tailpiece.

So wherever you plan to place your bridge, I'd say to plan to place your stop tailpiece 1 1/2" from that.

ARandall

Reaction score
Generally speaking the tailpiece is located far enough back that the down angle of the strings behind the bridge is not extreme. Also from a carved top perspective it is sitting on the flatter part of the carve so the studs will go in in a manner that allows the perpendicular insertion that the tailpiece need to install easily.

If you have the Bartlett plans then you already have the precise location for the vintage type Les Paul location, and in short you really already had the answer to your question. In the same vein, you also have a location for a setup that works perfectly well from a historical perspective on a carved top.........unless of course you are deviating from the measurements of a Les Paul in top thickness or neck angle where the bridge height might change.

Latest Threads