Load boxes

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if i want to go all in with either the Ox/suhr reactive load IR, or just the suhr reactive load box as i have more speakers than i know what to do with. I should probably sell some off in either case except for one or two.
Pros and cons to each approach from real world use?

Last edited:

v-man

Reaction score
Me too (8 ohm). For the first time in a decade I can crank a NVM Marshall at my leisure and I do it often (attenuated and DI/IR through headphones)

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am unsure at the moment how deep to spend, lots raving about the Ox, i see there is also a suhr impulse version as well as the standard reactive load. I did a quick proof of concept and plugged into auria recorder on the ipad, loaded overloud as a channel insert and can use just the cab, so that could be a short term cheap solution with the standard suhr loadbox. Plus overloud can load 3rd party IR's, although i don't know what format at this point as not researched it fully. Will be interesting to play with the amp working properly thats for sure.

Last edited:

Hecubus

Reaction score
I debated between the OX and the Suhr RLIR. I went with the Suhr for the following reasons:
Cost: Suhr is half the price of the OX
OX at the time needed an Ipad to tap into full functionality.
Simplicity: Suhr is dummy proof. OX seemed a bit complicated.

I like the Suhr for the ability to practice and record late at night with a cranked tube amp. I also like the ability to test out different cabs via IRs. Importing third party IRs is a breeze. I have several from Celestion but the ones included with the hardware are fine.

My only complaint is its inability to act as a attenuator. Running the signal back to your guitar cab produces whatever volume your amp is set to.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I debated between the OX and the Suhr RLIR. I went with the Suhr for the following reasons:
Cost: Suhr is half the price of the OX
OX at the time needed an Ipad to tap into full functionality.
Simplicity: Suhr is dummy proof. OX seemed a bit complicated.

I like the Suhr for the ability to practice and record late at night with a cranked tube amp. I also like the ability to test out different cabs via IRs. Importing third party IRs is a breeze. I have several from Celestion but the ones included with the hardware are fine.

My only complaint is its inability to act as a attenuator. Running the signal back to your guitar cab produces whatever volume your amp is set to.
ahh thats usefull info, as i might want to do that. I think then, I'll dip my toes in with the Suhr reactive load first found a used one on reverb. then find a store with an Ox in stock to have a good go of. Thanks man.

just been reding specs, it does not have attenuator built in, doh, so will still need ipad.

Last edited:

BadMongo

Reaction score
Me too (8 ohm). For the first time in a decade I can crank a NVM Marshall at my leisure and I do it often (attenuated and DI/IR through headphones)
Doing the same with the Ox. Was the pricier option for sure, but always sounded better in the demos I heard of the Suhr/Torpedo/Waza TAE, but everybody's ears are different. I'm enjoying playing now more than I ever have in my life, and I can do it whenever I want and not piss off the neighbors.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
ahh thats usefull info, as i might want to do that. I think then, I'll dip my toes in with the Suhr reactive load first found a used one on reverb. then find a store with an Ox in stock to have a good go of. Thanks man.

just been reding specs, it does not have attenuator built in, doh, so will still need ipad.
If you want an attenuator, the Two Notes Torpedo Captor X has one.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am sending the one i just bought back when it arrives, due to failure to research properly. the two notes torpedo is prolly the one for me. thanks for you input chaps.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
i am sending the one i just bought back when it arrives, due to failure to research properly. the two notes torpedo is prolly the one for me. thanks for you input chaps.
FWIW, I have the V1 and use a Mooer Radar. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new Captor X, but dang, it works so well! The new V2 will be that much better.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
just searched for the mooer, this was first hit, looked at picture of author, looked at their name and thought of course it is.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the other hand i could just get the fuck over myself and sell everything 'cept the '58 and the jtm1c. really should do this. lol.

v-man

Reaction score
Doing the same with the Ox. Was the pricier option for sure, but always sounded better in the demos I heard of the Suhr/Torpedo/Waza TAE, but everybody's ears are different. I'm enjoying playing now more than I ever have in my life, and I can do it whenever I want and not piss off the neighbors.
I just jumped the second the Captor X was released. Later I heard OX was better by some and yet a number of ppl got rid of their OX units saying they didn’t sound good.

maybe the Tube expander or something else is the ideal pick for the researcher who waited for the industry to stabilize, but I can’t say I am disappointed with the money spent for the utility derived on my Captor X.

BadMongo

Reaction score
I just jumped the second the Captor X was released. Later I heard OX was better by some and yet a number of ppl got rid of their OX units saying they didn’t sound good.

maybe the Tube expander or something else is the ideal pick for the researcher who waited for the industry to stabilize, but I can’t say I am disappointed with the money spent for the utility derived on my Captor X.
Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with what I've heard for all of them - the Ox just sounded most "right" to my ears. Regardless, the charm of being able to let the Marshall breathe without getting the cops called or killing my hearing has made it money well spent - for me anyway - and I'm not even really recording with it or anything. But just having tone that inspires me to play more and to enjoy that play time while using headphones has been a game changer for me.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If you have a bunch of great speakers, already, and you want attenuation, checkout the Fryette Power Stations.

If you want to also do IRs later you can do that with any computer/iPad/etc. and it sounds like you have or need one already, maybe?

redking

Reaction score
I have the original Suhr reactive load and I will either use a plugin in my DAW to load IR's (GGD Zilla cabs) or my Two Notes Torpedo CAB pedal as an IR loader. The advantage of using the Torpedo CAB for me is that it has onboard DSP to take some of the processing load off my session that is running in the DAW - I typically use the ZILLA cabs plugin to test drive IR's and test out blends of multiple IR's if I am feeling experimental.

What I like about the original Suhr reactive load:
- passive device, so you don't need to plug it in - just sit it on top of your amp and use a short speaker cable
- thru jack lets you run out to a speaker and then run a line to your IR loader and have both (maybe if you want to record live without mic'ing)
- I trust the mind of John Suhr to protect my vintage amp and ears of Pete Thorn (who played a role in its development)
- I have gotten some great recorded sounds from it for rock tones

What the original Suhr reactive load is missing:
- there is no attenuation, if I did want attenuation I think I would get a Fryette Power Station - and for me, I would like to have one of each because they do 2 different things in my mind.
- a bit inconvenient without loading IR's in the same box - the new Reactive Load IR does this, but you have to plug it in at the amp or use a long speaker cable if you set it up by your computer. If you have plenty of wall outlets available, then no big deal.
- I have not been able to get a good "Americana edge of breakup" tone or "slightly driven bluesy tone" out of it yet, but maybe I didn't have the right amp for that - I will have one shortly coming from my tech so eager to test this out.
- I'm not really the right guitarist to comment on how convincing the super clean ambient tones are because that's not really my bag and I don't think I have the right amp for that sound

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replies, i was on verge of sending the suhr back, but i think i will keep it. I have a 3rd gen ipad pro for the speaker cab moddleing and it works for that setup. That and freyyette is close to Ox money. I see how it works as is, if I really miss playing through a speaker i'll add a powerststion.

here is the setup as used at mo, the amp sounds great, only put master to 6 at mo, the suhr manual warns against diming the amp 'because you can' will crank it more next session. Feels better than using an amp sim, still feels a bit weird, its too hifi somehow. Although the pick response feels/sounds? Better, like i can hear the difference in picking methods. The vintage cab sounded like an old marshall, the modern cab was horrible fizzy.

F4E858B4-5FA5-49FC-BF4F-4BEFDBC1B649.jpeg

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went onto amazon to buy the mooer, and the pesky 'algorithm' presented me with the sonicake sonic IR for £39. 24bit 44.1 sample rate, which is an odd choice for 24bit, its normally 48khz. Seems to work pretty good, played through all the cabs for a couple of hours without looking at what they were, the two i like best were marshall cabs, a 4x12 amd a 2x12, but they all sounded good.

Whats nice is i can now just play into the motu and power it from a usb battery. Saves the ipad battery. It seems well specc'd as a pedal, 1024 sample points per cab, which is double sample points of the kemper IR's i read in one revirew. Its in one of those tiny mini pedals and it even has a balanced out ffs.

i found a website selling IR's of old pulsonic cones so will get the slots loaded with mic placement variations.

bgrizz

Reaction score
Yes!. This came out shortly after I bought the Suhr. If it was available, I would have definitely added it to the list.
If you have an extra amp you can slave it with the Suhr for attenuation. Output of suhr goes into fx loop of amp or dedicated power amp, you then use that amp volume as a master volume for speaker.

Latest Threads