Little stuff that's really cool..

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought LT was going to tell us how he got some of his guitars.

A little big thing for me this week: I left for work in a hurry yesterday and left my coffee on the kitchen counter. My wife hopped in her car and brought it to me.
I thought LT was going to tell us how he got some of his guitars.
I make them. that's what I do.

..except for when my dad gives them to me.. :laugh2:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My dad has been helping me build a new batch of guitars. Couple of days ago we started making up about a dozen body blanks. Ran the joints over a very well tuned electric jointer and put the pieces aside....it was the end of the day. I didn't come back the next day because I had a pile of other things to take care of.
But the day after that when I walked in to the shop my heart sank for a minute. I saw all the body blanks glued up except for the last one which dad was standing beside just about ready to glue up.
The reason my heart sank was because I like to have total control over every aspect of the build. And the joint in a body blank is crucial. So I asked my dad "did you make sure the joints were perfect? Did you put a strong light behind and "candle" them (that's the process where you take a powerful lightbulb and put it on the other side of the joint to see if there are any light cracks.)
He said "yes, I made sure they were all good enough"
Good enough?! oh no....
So I asked him if I can double check the one he was about to glue up. Stacked it up and put a 300watt bulb behind it. No light came through. Not a sliver or crack, not even a glow. The joint was absolutely PERFECT.
And I said "WOW....this joint is perfect!"
He looked at me with a half smile and said "that's what I said....good enough"
I looked over at the workbench. A No.6 handplane was lying on it's side and all around there were full length and width, gossamer thin shavings from when he was fine tuning all the joints.
And then I was a bit ashamed of myself for even doubting the master that taught me.
I turned over a blank that he had glued and was greeted with the image of a perfectly uniform and even glue squeeze out.
P1080372.jpg

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad has been helping me build a new batch of guitars. Couple of days ago we started making up about a dozen body blanks. Ran the joints over a very well tuned electric jointer and put the pieces aside....it was the end of the day. I didn't come back the next day because I had a pile of other things to take care of.
But the day after that when I walked in to the shop my heart sank for a minute. I saw all the body blanks glued up except for the last one which dad was standing beside just about ready to glue up.
The reason my heart sank was because I like to have total control over every aspect of the build. And the joint in a body blank is crucial. So I asked my dad "did you make sure the joints were perfect? Did you put a strong light behind and "candle" them (that's the process where you take a powerful lightbulb and put it on the other side of the joint to see if there are any light cracks.)
He said "yes, I made sure they were all good enough"
Good enough?! oh no....
So I asked him if I can double check the one he was about to glue up. Stacked it up and put a 300watt bulb behind it. No light came through. Not a sliver or crack, not even a glow. The joint was absolutely PERFECT.
And I said "WOW....this joint is perfect!"
He looked at me with a half smile and said "that's what I said....good enough"
I looked over at the workbench. A No.6 handplane was lying on it's side and all around there were full length and width, gossamer thin shavings from when he was fine tuning all the joints.
And then I was a bit ashamed of myself for even doubting the master that taught me.
I turned over a blank that he had glued and was greeted with the image of a perfectly uniform and even glue squeeze out.
Worry not.

I bet that your dad was beaming with pride inside that his insistence for perfection was passed on to you, and I've seen it firsthand with my R6.

Central Scrutinizer

Reaction score
Nice to appreciate the little things.

When I’m having a bad day and need a little pick me up, it’s a little thing called free TV from back in the day.
They both involve a guy who’s real name is Jerry Rivers ( Geraldo Rivera).
#1. When the skinhead threw a chair at him on his talk show, breaking his nose.
#2. When he had a TV special on Al Capone’s vault. When they broke through the wall hiding the alleged treasure trove, it was an empty room!

Asshats always are good for a chuckle!

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Little stuff that's really cool..

And not a thread about midget strippers.

Not cool.
Especially since I was going to use that thread title tomorrow for a thread about midget strippers.
Damn shit posters.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
My daughter drives me insane with always wanting to help with anything I’m doing. She’s 7, and tends to make it take longer than it should, and often as not, has to be redone, sometimes incurring expense for more materials.
I finally learned to treasure it.
Neither of my good boys want to do anything remotely related to work. I thought maybe she was just a Daddy’s Girl, but yesterday, the wife made the oldest dig a trench in the yard for something so retarded I don’t even want to say.
“Can I help?”
I don’t know what she’s gonna do to this world, but I’ll tell you it’s her when you see her.

Latest Threads