Listening to a little Anne Murray this morning

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's like every good songwriter went off the side of a cliff in a mass suicide and took dynamics with them sometime around 1980. The joys my kids will never know......they'll snap to grid, quantize, pitch correct and sample replace. Once upon a time, you had to BRING IT. Everyone had to. The musicians, the engineers, the sound guy, the songwriters, the tuba player, everyone. Today we are on autopilot and the music does not hide it. Make it a point to be great at what you do. Let technology enhance your talent, not replace it.

I love using new technology to create music. I can control my effects from my cellphone via Bluetooth. What's not to love?

You guys who love classic rock tones really need to take a hard look at Metropoulos Metroplex. 100w desert island amp. It's like having 2 plexis in one, along with modern features like a built in variac, effects loop and boost.

That's it for today.

sk8rat

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gd49XbpISM[/ame]

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
It's like every good songwriter went off the side of a cliff in a mass suicide and took dynamics with them sometime around 1980.
I think the problem is more that producers forgot how to turn the *%^# compressor down.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is more that producers forgot how to turn the *%^# compressor down.
It's the style and the realization louder=better to the untrained ear. Volume match that plugin and make sure it's actually better. How many times I did just that and left the track alone. I love a good punchy track too but damnit don't bury the flutist.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
It's the style and the realization louder=better to the untrained ear. Volume match that plugin and make sure it's actually better. How many times I did just that and left the track alone. I love a good punchy track too but damnit don't bury the flutist.
In the early sixties they used to mix to mono using a crappy little car speaker. As stereo got popular mixes changed to so the listener could hear more from those end table size speaker cabs and Koss Pro 4AA.
These days people don't sit and listen to music, they're walking around, listening while watching TV and other things that don't enhance the listening experience.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
I listen to Helen Reddy-learn many things.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJVFpCZYXU[/ame]

KP11520

Reaction score
Anne Murray played through a Plexi? :hmm:

Who Knew?

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
In the early sixties they used to mix to mono using a crappy little car speaker. As stereo got popular mixes changed to so the listener could hear more from those end table size speaker cabs and Koss Pro 4AA.
These days people don't sit and listen to music, they're walking around, listening while watching TV and other things that don't enhance the listening experience.
When I was at The Recording Workshop in '79, the studios had:
1) Monstrous huge, super clean monitors, for getting the best audiophile mix
2) Consumer-grade stereo speakers, for an average-Joe mix and
3) Old crappy TV speakers, for mixing for the AM car radio

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Who Knew?
what do you think they used, Triple Recs?

I bet we'd be surprised how many pop, country and other old recordings had 50 or 100w plexis on them.

KP11520

Reaction score

I bet we'd be surprised how many pop, country and other old recordings had 50 or 100w plexis on them.
Only when she did those "Boogie" type songs!

Did she do any Boogie type songs? :laugh2:

I agree. For the most part, most guitarists assemble their arsenal and usually stick with it, and make it work for whatever challenge. Even mellow.

When I want to learn a song, I am always searching for what the guitarist used for his or her parts. Sadly for some reason, it's getting harder to find any info whether old or new.

Imagine every song had the list of equipment used available. As you said, we'd all be surprised. :cool:

christophervolume

Reaction score
It's like every good songwriter went off the side of a cliff in a mass suicide and took dynamics with them sometime around 1980. The joys my kids will never know......they'll snap to grid, quantize, pitch correct and sample replace. Once upon a time, you had to BRING IT. Everyone had to. The musicians, the engineers, the sound guy, the songwriters, the tuba player, everyone.

i could not agree more on this. and i was born AFTER 1980....

on the flip side, a lot of people would be surprised how many monsterous rock records/songs were recorded on a tiny 5ish watt amp!

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
The musical director at my High School was named Anne Murray, and she looked just like the singer.

I was just too metal to appreciate anything without distortion when I was a kid. Still not my thing, but glad you're diggin it.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score

Who Knew?
Hey Joey, aren't Marshalls known for a really good clean sound as well?

So I've heard. Never owned one, yet....

Since they were readily available why wouldn't the studio rats have them around?

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score

More likely old Ampeg, Fender and other combo amps.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah the studio cats favoured small combo amps that were easy to lug around.

I admit I loved Anne Murray when I was a kid....something just magical in her voice. Of course she was on Canadian radio 24/7....the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Act) had a policy called "cancon". Radio staions had to play Canadian content....it was a huge percentage, somewhere around 30% cancon if I recall. Mrs G would know as she used to work in radio and record companies....in fact she worked with Anne Murray as a record company rep.

hecube

Reaction score
I've always been a huge Joni Mitchell fan but even more so in the last couple of weeks.

The album "Hissing of summer lawns"... I'd like to see any artist, of any era, top that.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've always been a huge Joni Mitchell fan but even more so in the last couple of weeks.

The album "Hissing of summer lawns"... I'd like to see any artist, of any era, top that.
agreed!

Latest Threads