Linux recommendations for old Netbook

Skeletor

Reaction score
Once again - looking to draw on the varied experience of the MLP Backstage...

Any recommendations (or warnings) on which Linux distribution would be best to install on an old HP Netbook?

Currently running windows but it really doesn't have the horsepower to run Windows so I am looking for a basic GUI based OS that will allow me to revive this thing and get a bit more life out of it.

Probably use it primarily for travel - want something for web browsing, email, watching video.

Hopefully a distro that is fairly idiot proof - I have a technical background but I don't seem to enjoy the challenge of messing with computer issues as much as I used to.

Thanks all

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
how old?

Ubuntu is kind of idiot proof. and there's Mint which seems to be a popular option for older computers.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

https://www.ubuntu.com/

I like Fedora but it's updated constantly which is probably not what you want. Linux doesn't seem to be crazy intense though like Windows, you may find that old laptop can run a stronger OS than you think.

Look up the specs and such, see what will work best for you. There's really tons of different Distros and versions of Linux.

Skeletor

Reaction score
This thing probably 8 years old or so? - originally came with Windows 7 (I bought it second hand)
But - it is a little Netbook so running an Intel Atom processor with 2Gb of RAM. I did update the Hard drive to a 240Gb SSD.
I'll probably try a couple of the high runners that came up in a search - Puppy and Lubuntu.

nauc

Reaction score
what Windows is on it now?

Chicago John

Reaction score
You're considering the ones I was thinking about, too, Puppy and Lubuntu. Lubuntu should work well. Also it has access to the Ubuntu repositories, and is very stable.

Kezia

Reaction score
This thing probably 8 years old or so? - originally came with Windows 7 (I bought it second hand)
But - it is a little Netbook so running an Intel Atom processor with 2Gb of RAM. I did update the Hard drive to a 240Gb SSD.
I'll probably try a couple of the high runners that came up in a search - Puppy and Lubuntu.
With those specs, I'd definitely recommend Xubuntu. It's a bit more full-featured than Lubuntu and in my experience it's less of a hassle to use and much more idiot proof. I've used Xubuntu recently on 10-15 year old computers with specs much worse than that and it ran just fine.

However, if you're a bit more tech savvy, I'd go with Antergos Xfce

JimmyT

Reaction score
I use Ubuntu and Mint mainly, but they're (Ubuntu especially) are getting a bit bloated for older hardware. For an 8 year-old laptop, I would recommend:

Linux Lite
Puppy Linux
Bunsen Labs Linux (One of my favorites)
Lubuntu (a light-weight version of Ubuntu, using LDXE instead of Unity, which I prefer anyway)
Xubuntu (another, lighter version of Ubuntu)
Arch Linux can be as light or as heavy as you want it to be, but it's very hands-on, definitely not a good choice for a first distro.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Slacko Puppy
LXLE ( instead of Lubuntu ) __ still uses the same repositories

the problem that you might run into , running any version of Puppy . getting the wifi working . there are work-arounds , but not easy if you're completely new to Linux

LXLE is also very lightweight . more so than some of the Ubuntu versions

if you want the complete rundown on different distros , go to
https://distrowatch.com/

there you'll find some other " lightweights " , like AntiX , that might fit your needs

Skeletor

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice - I'll try to do a bit of research and try a few soon.

Currently running W10 even though it didn't run well in Windows 7 either

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to run Linux without having to LEARN Linux then Ubuntu is a great choice. I prefer Redhat if you want to also learn Linux.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run ubuntu on my Asus eepc with no issues... Pretty snappy for an old ass netbook...

Recognized everything at install with zero issues....

JimmyT

Reaction score
I want to try Kubuntu, but I've never managed to make KDE play nice with any hardware I've tried it on.

Latest Threads