Line 6 Helix vs Analogman King of Tone

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Brilliant video, and a huge thumbs-up for Helix.

KenG

Reaction score
I watched this alreadfy but I was impressed with the Helix performance on this! I've safely updated to 2.8 but have yet to gget the chance to fire it up. Update went exactly as described by Line 6 as well.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Helix does indeed sound good here - impressive work by the software team on that patch.

Still not rock’n’roll enough for me, though. :)

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Helix is more than rock and roll enough.

fleahead

Reaction score
I have a modeler (not Helix) and a Variax and it is indeed cool. Like being Sybil, with multiple personalities.

James R

Reaction score
I hate myself for suddenly being so interested in this and a Variax guitar all of a sudden. :laugh2:
DO IT!!!

Mal, there’s not a lot that I would try to tell you when it comes to playing guitar, you’ve been doing it much longer than me, can play much better than me, and understand far more than me... but I can tell you that the Helix is freaking bad ass.
My next gear purchase will be a Variax, and I can’t wait to have the kind of doors open to me that the combination of those two pieces of gear will provide.

Seriously, I highly doubt you’d regret it, and with the stellar return policies that the reputable dealers have in place, you’ve got nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

I’m excited for you, and hope to see that you’re willing to dabble on the dark side.
:dude:

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm interested for sure. I mean I love my Charvels and don't plan on retiring them, but I've been thinking of buying a 5150 combo and some floor pedals, then I started thinking I could just get an all in one pedal board like the Helix instead, then I saw the demo of the Variax yesterday and today and it started the wheels spinning. Looks like fun.

I still need to finish building a badass turntable stereo first though. :thumb:

But I'm interested. I'm wondering if I can just plug it into my STramp or Fender amps or if I have to buy one of those Power Cab Plus boxes. I really love my STramp and Fender Tweed and would like to keep using them.

also saw the video where the guy ran the Helix in stereo and one amp was like a dirty Strat and the other was a reverbed Sitar or something. Some pretty neat possibilities for sure.

James R

Reaction score
Here’s another way to look at it...
There’s a ridiculous amount of gear packed into that little sucker.
Probably over 50 amps, literally a few hundred pedals/effects, a few dozen cabs, and a plethora of mics.
If you were to purchase them all separately, it would cost you a hundred grand or more, yet you have it all in this nice little package that can be had for what, like $1,500?
You’d be silly not to. (Says the enabler :laugh2:)

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah having the Helix and Variax seems like you virtually own every guitar, fx pedal, and amp,... in two pieces of gear.

it's very tempting.

I think the Variax would be sort of a "fun toy", ... I'm not putting the Charvels down anytime soon, .. but the Helix seems like it's gotten better since the last time I looked at modeling stuff.

Like 10-12 years ago I really didn't like modeling at all and thought it sounded very harsh, fake and compressed. But some of the videos I watch yesterday and today sound pretty good.

And the cost of a 5150 combo plus a few FX pedals costs more than just buying a Helix. I haven't found a review yet of whether it has a good 5150 model though.

( I bought the 5150 fx pedal a month ago and have been using it through my Fender tweed. It's a badass OD pedal, best I've ever owned. And I own like Ten OD pedals. :laugh2: )

James R

Reaction score
I'm interested for sure. I mean I love my Charvels and don't plan on retiring them, but I've been thinking of buying a 5150 combo and some floor pedals, then I started thinking I could just get an all in one pedal board like the Helix instead, then I saw the demo of the Variax yesterday and today and it started the wheels spinning. Looks like fun.

I still need to finish building a badass turntable stereo first though. :thumb:

But I'm interested. I'm wondering if I can just plug it into my STramp or Fender amps or if I have to buy one of those Power Cab Plus boxes. I really love my STramp and Fender Tweed and would like to keep using them.

also saw the video where the guy ran the Helix in stereo and one amp was like a dirty Strat and the other was a reverbed Sitar or something. Some pretty neat possibilities for sure.
So many possibilities.
You can easily use it with any of your amps, in a plethora of different ways.
The in/out panel on the back of a Helix floor looks like an engineering board.
I’ve yet to think of a weird setup that the Helix hasn’t handled with ease.
There’s loops upon loops, an external amp channel switcher, multiple USB ins and outs, XLR, 1/4... you name it!

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that's the thing if I get the Helix it's in place of the 5150 combo. So if I have to buy the power cab plus amp, it sort of defeats the point.

Plus I already have four amps in the house, two Fenders, a Vox and a SoulTramp.

Like everything I'll have to research it to death and think about it for months. Plus my next 'big' purchase is definitely going to be Turntable/pre-amp/speakers/sub-woofer,... so it would have to be after I get my stereo rig together.

but it's officially on the table as an option. :thumb:

Good to see it recommended, too. :)

KenG

Reaction score
that's the thing if I get the Helix it's in place of the 5150 combo. So if I have to buy the power cab plus amp, it sort of defeats the point.

Plus I already have four amps in the house, two Fenders, a Vox and a SoulTramp.

Like everything I'll have to research it to death and think about it for months. Plus my next 'big' purchase is definitely going to be Turntable/pre-amp/speakers/sub-woofer,... so it would have to be after I get my stereo rig together.

but it's officially on the table as an option. :thumb:

Good to see it recommended, too. :)

The Power cab has the amp built in. It basically takes the place of a powered FRFR but with more AITR. Of course you can turn off CABs in the Helix and run into and effects eturn or line in and use the power amp section and cabinet of any tube amp too.
I've been sticking to FRFR as one of the things that always annoed with traditional guitar cabs was the beaminess. You know, where you either sit in the direct line and get the highest freqs and adjust your tone for that spot or you move off side and add highs so it's not too muddy. The you are pretty much stuck in whatever position to hear the sound you adjusted for.

Malikon

죽을래
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah I can see the appeal of the power cab, or running two for stereo, but I already have amps, so...

maybe I can use them in stereo, idk.

btw I don't understand the acronyms FRFR or AITR

KenG

Reaction score
yeah I can see the appeal of the power cab, or running two for stereo, but I already have amps, so...

FRFR = full range flat response, used to try to reproduce modelled tones with ideally no, but in reality as little sonic impact as possible.

AITR = Amp In The Room. The sound of a normal guitar cab unmic'ed as you hear it normally with an amp. Some players just have to have that, some of us can adapt to the sound of a mic'ed or recorded guitar.

drew365

Reaction score

I have a Helix floor, a PowerCab+, a JTV69 Variax, and a Soul Tramp Wraith. I can probably help you bridge the two worlds. I have no regrets going digital, or for keeping a foot in tubes, (I just got a new Koch The Greg yesterday). So if you have any specific questions, ask away. Since you just learned what FRFR and AITR means, you still have a ways to go. It may seem complicated, but it's just different. When you think about all the different ways of putting together analog gear correctly, there's a learning curve either way.

fleahead

Reaction score
Not to hijack, and it's NO way as sophisticated as the Helix, Kemper and other higher-end units, but a 30watt digital amp and GE200 modeler cost me a whopping $350 and with my R8, V and Variax 600 I am happy as a pig in poop.

Reactions: Who