Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Hot Rod

SilverBurps

Banned
Reaction score
I like the looks of it. Congrats on getting a sweet looking guitar.

:thumb: How badly would a TP-6 tailpiece detract from its looks? I've never had locking tuning-machines before, and I'm thinking they'd work well with the TP-6 (which I've never even tried before).

At first glance, I think they look too busy, but I also think it might grow on me, and could be something I could get used to. Will the benefits of fine-tuning out-weigh the dork-factor? Who am I kidding? I am a cork-sniffing dork, so I should just rock the full ensemble.

TA462

Reaction score
I'd keep her the way it is for awhile and see how you like it. If you want to change it up after that then I would go for it. It would make it more yours.

Shogun

Reaction score
That's one sexy studio! Also nothing wrong with richlite

lunchie

Reaction score
I never said Richlite is bad. I would rather have solid wood if I'm paying that kind of money.

SilverBurps

Banned
Reaction score
My Hot Rod arrived today. It's amazing. Although not in the description, it's got push/pull coil taps, which was a neat surprise.

<<< I had to make it my avatar picture.

The blue pinstriping can almost be misconstrued for binding from afar, which gives the body a tighter appearance, sleek and condensed, dare I say svelte.

It really is a hot rod, and not just because of its name. Playing it feels like I'm driving some fifties ledsled chopped top custom buick. Something like this:

6853205562_0f3bea119d_m.jpg

Maybe it's all in the pinstriping. The electric blue details almost glow, and they look all hand-painted and imperfect, but in a good way. Like, "HARRIS" is an actual real-life pinstripe artist or something.

NGD_ES_HR.jpg~original

NGD thread and first impressions

NHTom

Reaction score
Love the look.............the price=not so much

NHTom

BuddyHollywood

Reaction score
It's an awesome guitar and you're right, it is a stripped down Standard more than it is a Studio. Congratulations!

Ansen

Reaction score
Since the Studio cap is thinner than a Traditional or Standards. I wonder if the extra thick for this Studio is that same as the Trad/Stand.

"The Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Studio Hot Rod is a variation of the 2014 Les Paul Standard, offering the same body and thickness rather than the thinner Les Paul Studio body style." Variation of a Standard, huh? (without binding) Neat! It's a real one! The price seems really steep compared to Studios, but the price seems great compared to Standards...

Anyway, here's how much thicker it is compared to the Studio Pro (ugly/sexy):

It's an awesome guitar and you're right, it is a stripped down Standard more than it is a Studio. Congratulations!

Funny thing, that not many folks seems to be aware of the fact, that the early years Les Pauls until 1960 where indeed 1 3/4" in thickness, like the Studios of nowadays, instead of the 2" the Standards and Customs comes along with.:wow:

With the reintroducing of the Standard in 1968 Gibson changes the thickness to 2".

So, leaving aside the binding, which model is closer to the "golden aera" ? Decide for yourself ..:thumb::D

If you don't believe me, search the web for the old catalogs :dude:

tin dirigible

Reaction score
I think it's really cool, hope you enjoy it for a long time to come!

The double white pickups are particularly cool, because I thought Gibson said in the past they couldn't sell a guitar with them because seymour duncan has a patent on the double whites? :dunno:

starscream

Reaction score
The double white pickups are particularly cool, because I thought Gibson said in the past they couldn't sell a guitar with them because seymour duncan has a patent on the double whites? :dunno:

They did a couple other double whites in the last few years with the Buckethead Signature and Baritone SG. Maybe that no longer is a problem (assuming it was before, I don't know myself).

Tangerine

Reaction score
They did a couple other double whites in the last few years with the Buckethead Signature and Baritone SG. Maybe that no longer is a problem (assuming it was before, I don't know myself).

I think they have the patent on double creams so other companies can still do double whites.

lunchie

Reaction score
Although not in the description, it's got push/pull coil taps, which was a neat surprise.

I bought a Parker Hornet and I had the thing probably 6 months before I found out it was push/pull. I didnt have the slightest idea :rofl:

Congrats on the NGD, they really do look sharp!

crabbdaddy

Reaction score
my hot rod studio shipped today 10/31/14 ... should have it in a few days! Guitar center ... 20% off sale.

crabbdaddy

Reaction score
:dude:picked mine up on 11/6/14 - neck feels great and setup was low and nice! fretboard is smooth and fast in my opinion..coil tapping is interesting... love the hot rod so far.. neck is a different feel than the Bonamassa but that's to be expected.. makes me want to practice... so that's what counts.:slash:

Attachments

• LPS_hotrod_11814_1_sm.jpg
    LPS_hotrod_11814_1_sm.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 47

Kungphugrip

Reaction score
My Hot Rod arrived today. It's amazing. Although not in the description, it's got push/pull coil taps, which was a neat surprise.

<<< I had to make it my avatar picture.

The blue pinstriping can almost be misconstrued for binding from afar, which gives the body a tighter appearance, sleek and condensed, dare I say svelte.

It really is a hot rod, and not just because of its name. Playing it feels like I'm driving some fifties ledsled chopped top custom buick. Something like this:

6853205562_0f3bea119d_m.jpg

Maybe it's all in the pinstriping. The electric blue details almost glow, and they look all hand-painted and imperfect, but in a good way. Like, "HARRIS" is an actual real-life pinstripe artist or something.

NGD_ES_HR.jpg~original

NGD thread and first impressions
lovin that 339 studio also!

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Sooooo....

Take some Standard bodies with visual occlusions (mineral streaks, etc..) Paint 'em gloss black. Add a graphics package you hope will keep people from stripping it with an idea of some form of a burst refinish to see how ugly the wood is. Put a richlite board on it...

Add Standard headstock veneer.
Add locking Grovers.

Delete trap inlays.
Delete pickguard.
Delete poker chip.
Delete fingerboard binding.
Delete body binding.

Jack the price up....

:hmm:
Well yea...

SilverBurps

Banned
Reaction score
I ended up getting a really good deal on it. :dude:
What's a good deal and where did you get yours?

I first called and just asked for a discount. They were reluctant and asked why they should... I just said it sure would be nice, so they discounted it an additional 8% off from M.A.P., which ended up being $131.92 off from their advertised lowest price of $1650... but that was only the beginning...

When it arrived (with $1,517.08 into it at this point), the FedEx girl knocked on my door and personally handed me the guitar, saying, "I have a feeling this is special and I wasn't going to just leave this on your porch." (weird, right?) I thanked her and tore into the box.

(the guitar arrived the moment my 12 year old niece breathed her last breath as she hung herself in the school bathroom, but I digress... The exact moment though, down to the estimated time of death and documented delivery time. It is the reason I painted her name into the nitrocellulose.)

EmilyReincarnate.jpg~original

She arrived with a cracked knob, and there was no TRW (truss rod wrench) in the case. (I don't know if it's supposed to come with one or not.) I emailed them letting them know the knob was cracked and hoping for them to send me a new knob and a TRW. A complete set of 4 genuine Gibson knobs are like twelve bucks, I think.

They wrote back offering to adjust the price, instead of sending me parts. They offered to refund $250 back to my card. Um... Okay! I'm not even going to replace the cracked knob, (because it might alter the tone - just kidding) because it was a good omen.

Love the look.............the price=not so much

NHTom

Total out-the-door, including shipping/no-tax = $1,267.08 (under $1300). Was it worth it? Considering the special circumstances that makes this thing extra-sentimental... it's priceless, but even without all that superstitious mojo, it's the best money I've ever spent on any instrument, ever. I feel like I got a magickal good deal, and it's my forever keeper that I cherish more than I ever dreamed possible.

Latest Threads