Lightweight tailpieces on MIJ?

GiddyHitch

Reaction score
What's your experience with lightweight tailpieces on MIJ LPs? Any discernible effect on tone (have heard they can increase sustain and improve punch)?

Roxy13

Reaction score
Like any brand of guitar it might improve your tone and sustain or you might prefer it with a heavy zinc tailpiece instead.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I have one that came on a Lester I bought used.
I've tried it on several guitars and have never noticed a difference.
Bridges are another story.

luis

Reaction score
Yes, it is discernible.
Old Tokai hardware coming stock with 80s and 100s models are very good.

GiddyHitch

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Seems like I'm going to have to sample the snake oil for myself just to be sure.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Seems like I'm going to have to sample the snake oil for myself just to be sure.
Gotoh makes a really nice lightweight tailpiece that's reasonably priced. And it's not snake oil in the least.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Gotoh makes a really nice lightweight tailpiece that's reasonably priced. And it's not snake oil in the least.
I've got one on my wife's SG and one on my Argus Live Road. If nothing else, it shaves a little weight off the guitar, which is always nice in my book.

jcsk8

Reaction score
I have one that came on a Lester I bought used.
I've tried it on several guitars and have never noticed a difference.
Bridges are another story.
Can you elaborate, sir?

For the OP

I placed an aluminum bridge (Gotoh) in my Burny and I like the results, but the bridge is the original.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Can you elaborate, sir?

For the OP

I placed an aluminum bridge (Gotoh) in my Burny and I like the results, but the bridge is the original.
I mess with a LOT of guitars.
I have a fairly good pile and an active revolving door.
I also do work for several local pros.
I've put this damn lightweight Gotoh tailpiece on the majority of the guitars that have crossed my bench, and I've never heard a difference.
The caveat is, I'm 58 and have been gigging for over 35 years...my hearing has lost a bit of...ahem...nuance, shall we say?
As for bridges...I definitely hear a difference, but it's unpredictable.
Anything you KNOW about swapping bridges is wrong.
You just have to try, and see what you get.
I recently replaced a tune-o-matic with a rosewood saddle and the guitar now has more clarity, nuance and...wait for it...sustain. It used to go zoom, and now it goes ZING!
This was so striking, I've gotten another to try on my Les Paul.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the input.

Roxy13

Reaction score
That is pretty much the long and short of it. Every guitar is unique. You can't really give a blanket statement of "if I use this TP or this bridge that is made from such and such material or saddle of such and such material then I will get this tone."

One guitar might suddenly come to life with an aluminum TP while another of the exact same make and model does not. And same thing with bridges. It can be trial and error just like pickups.

Latest Threads