Lighting - 1 or 2 Piece Gibson bodies

grumphh

Reaction score
Not sure why people obsess so much about the number of pieces? Practically all guitar bodies are two pieces.
Because some people have read internet myths regurgitated so many times that they think that they are actually true.

And in the particular case of LP's my best guess is that the "logic" behind it is: "The originals had one piece bodies - so every LP that doesn't have those is inferior."
And marketing exploits that myth, to sell extremely expensive special sauce one piece body LP's to gullibles who think that this actually makes a difference to how their guitar sounds...

Product diversification:
1. Have someone in marketing find an insignificant aspect on a product - with the condition that it can be altered slightly while keeping production cost firmly in check.
2. Then have marketing pummeling customers with fiction about the all-important nature of this "upgrade". (Internet forums are fantastic for this.)
3. Raise the price on the product with the altered feature.
Sell those guitars at a multiple of the profit of the baseline guitars.

Big Do

Reaction score
Because some people have read internet myths regurgitated so many times that they think that they are actually true.

And in the particular case of LP's my best guess is that the "logic" behind it is: "The originals had one piece bodies - so every LP that doesn't have those is inferior."
And marketing exploits that myth, to sell extremely expensive special sauce one piece body LP's to gullibles who think that this actually makes a difference to how their guitar sounds...

Product diversification:
1. Have someone in marketing find an insignificant aspect on a product - with the condition that it can be altered slightly while keeping production cost firmly in check.
2. Then have marketing pummeling customers with fiction about the all-important nature of this "upgrade". (Internet forums are fantastic for this.)
3. Raise the price on the product with the altered feature.
Sell those guitars at a multiple of the profit of the baseline guitars.
People forget that there is quite a bit of luck in finding a great guitar. Guitars can look fantastic and cost lots of money and sound very mediocre. You can pick up something more modest and bang it sounds and feels brilliant.

lawrev

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I just got back from a business trip today and hope to have a full NGD up here in the next few days.

The reason I asked about the 1 or 2 (or 3) piece is simply because that it what the sales person sold it as. Just confirmation. It is a beautiful guitar - I am not opposed to the pickguard design with the electronics - it is a very well balanced and light guitar and the neck is very playable. Very happy with the purchase.

the5thbeatle420

Reaction score
Shit you not! My 2019 Gibson les paul junior is at least 5 pieces. Still sounds killer thoe way better than the 2 piece body I first got ( had to send back do to QC issues) also they painted the whole back black to hide the fact..

bungle

Reaction score
$1149 cad, cherry only. Coming soon? That’s $876 usd. Shafted again in the great white north. Hate the fact L&M have somewhat of a monopoly on Gibson/ Epiphone. Tom Lee have nothing on their site.

efstop

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a nice looking Tribute. Every once in a while Gibson lets a unique one out of the factory.

$1149 cad, cherry only. Coming soon? That’s $876 usd. Shafted again in the great white north. Hate the fact L&M have somewhat of a monopoly on Gibson/ Epiphone. Tom Lee have nothing on their site.
They've been reduced to $899 CAD, in cherry, brown, ebony and blue worn colors, but nothing like the OP's color. The others you can have via store transfer from any L&M to any other L&M. Also, there's a bunch of them new and used on the L&M Gear Hunter page. Type "Gibson" in the GH search box, set price low to high.

I've been thinking of getting one, too, but it has to be a colour I dislike the least. Maybe a used one and refinish it.

Latest Threads