Lighting - 1 or 2 Piece Gibson bodies

lawrev

Reaction score
Hi All,

Going from memory here - What kind of lighting can one use to determine if a Les Paul body is 1 or 2 pieces? What color of lighting? Thanks!

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Adequate lighting... any lighting that lets you see the guitar well enough to pick out the centerline. Even on the best matches it’s easy to spot since you already know what your’re looking for and where to look :)

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
If it's a solid color, just put the body under a bright and solid object, like a white wall, so that you get a clear mirror reflection on the body. Now move the guitar and look where you think there should be a seam. If it's 2 pieces (or 3 like that LPC top in the pic), you'll spot the seam, where the light will bounce at a different angle, because of the sunk paint along the seam. ;)

It's important that both surfaces are clean, to avoid messy reflections.

Since Gibson doesn't use veneers to hide anything, and since nitro does really sink in every junction, that's gonna work 99.9% of the time. You just need to learn the trick. Same for the non-solid color tops.

moreles

Reaction score
If painted, looking at a slant across an evenly lit top often works. Sometimes, you really can't tell. (That's why vintage goldtop conversion sometimes yields surprises in the form of mulyi-piece or non center-semaed woods.) With translucent or clearer finishes, you just look super-closely, and as LocoTex says, the grain differences often show best at the butt end.

Latearrival

Reaction score
Look at the bottom of the guitar - here is my 2009 Traditional, which I am pretty sure is one piece!

lawrev

Reaction score
I looked at the bottom of the guitar and still can't tell. Maybe I will take a photo like some of those here and post it when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the feedback. This is the back story.....

I just purchased a brand new Chicago Music Exchange Gibson USA Les Paul Junior Tribute in Worn TV Yellow. A beautiful guitar! The guitar tech and the salesperson (who is one of the more prominent YouTube personalities for their store) told me it is a one piece body. It appears one piece, but the wood grain of the body goes directly north-south. So there are some grain lines that could be confused with multiple body pieces.

I'm not saying they are lying, but I was interested in double checking. I will say that the body is as nice as any Custom Shop Jr or Special I have owned, and that is even considering the nitro finish is thinner than the Custom Shop models.

Last edited:

Guitpicky

Reaction score
All the evidence points to one conclusion... it’s a one piece body. CME is a pretty reputable dealer with people that know their shit better than most. They’d have absolutely nothing to gain by lying about it.

Congrats on getting a sweet guitar :)

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve had two piece backs that were nearly indistinguishable from a one piece. I mean nearly impossible to find the seam. Sometimes it’s easier to see the joint from the pickup cavities.

Big Do

Reaction score
Hi All,

Going from memory here - What kind of lighting can one use to determine if a Les Paul body is 1 or 2 pieces? What color of lighting? Thanks!
Look at the back. Unless there is heavy gloss paint, the match lines should be obvious. Not sure why people obsess so much about the number of pieces? Practically all guitar bodies are two pieces. I have a Telecaster that has 5 pieces! It sounds brilliant; very lively and resonant. Les Paul Jnrs are great! Enjoy it and rock out!

lawrev

Reaction score
Here's a closeup of the bottom - thanks for all the answers in the meantime. I will do a proper NGD after I get back from a business trip in 7 days.

IMG_20200212_2336414~3.jpg

lawrev

Reaction score
A good front photo - I'll do a NGD when back from business.

Les Paul Junior Tribute Worn TV Yellow Front.jpg