Light weight 50's Standard?

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Mine was listed at 8lbs 15oz from Zzounds, but in reality it was 9lbs 4oz. Taking the pickguard off put it at 9lbs 1oz. I tend to think that lighter is always better (coming from the SG world), but I'm loving the guitar and don't mind the weight. It feels right for a LP. It sure hasn't negatively impacted the sound!

That being said I'd be very hard pressed to go after anything higher than 9 1/2lbs.
I had that same problem with Zzounds/Music 123, their guitars were heavier than advertised. My Trad was listed at 8lbs 12oz but weighs 9lbs.

Prometheus

Reaction score
I had a CC 15 that was a bit more than 9 pounds. Compared to other (lighter) historics I have owned, that guitar sounded, for lack of a better term, “dense.” Not dull. Just dense and focused. I never considered it to be a do it all, versatile Les Paul. What it did, though, it did fantastically well.
This is my thought exactly

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had that same problem with Zzounds/Music 123, their guitars were heavier than advertised. My Trad was listed at 8lbs 12oz but weighs 9lbs.
that's 4 ounces... you wouldn't even notice that.

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
The lighter ones are out there. I picked a 2021 50s Les Paul off the rack at Guitar Center and bought it (after playing it of course). I felt sure it would come in over 9lbs when I put it on my postal scale, but I was surprised when it weighed in at 8lbs 6ozs. I suppose it's because I've been playing acoustics for the last two years that it felt so heavy. The only other Les Paul I ever had that I'd call light was a Wildwood Spec 2014 '58 RI that was 8lbs 1oz. I shoulda kept that one. The heaviest Les Paul I've ever owned was 9lbs 12oz., that one felt like box full of bricks and wasn't all that good sounding, kinda muted and lazy, the fatty.

IMG_4903.jpg

Cjsinla

Reaction score
that's 4 ounces... you wouldn't even notice that.
Right, I was only pointing out that their listed weights were not as accurate as some other dealers. Its only an issue if you are buying specifically by weight.

Reaction score
My 50s Standard Gold Top weighs in at 9.4 lbs and my Tribute LP is 7.9 lbs. I don’t necessarily prefer the weight of either one while playing, but the 50s Standard in the Costa Rican made case is a real beast to carry around.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it a bit amusing how important weight is for most here in the forum.
(Unless you have back/shoulder issues).

Weight is only one aspect of building tone.
Honestly people are obsessed with whatever the weight range for the original Bursts were.
Had they been boat anchors, that would be the staple weight to follow.

Anything on the heavier side of 9.4 lbs will have most members making faces before even giving the guitar a chance. It’s a peculiar prejudice.

drri

Reaction score
if you don't want it let me know I'll grab it. Lightest one I've come across is 8.4. There are always some unicorns out there because you are dealing with products made from a natural source which is as we know is unpredictable. I had a 99 R9 that was 7 15 sadly sold many years ago.
I bought it in a second!!’ Haha supposed to be here Monday so we’ll see

The lighter ones are out there. I picked a 2021 50s Les Paul off the rack at Guitar Center and bought it (after playing it of course). I felt sure it would come in over 9lbs when I put it on my postal scale, but I was surprised when it weighed in at 8lbs 6ozs. I suppose it's because I've been playing acoustics for the last two years that it felt so heavy. The only other Les Paul I ever had that I'd call light was a Wildwood Spec 2014 '58 RI that was 8lbs 1oz. I shoulda kept that one. The heaviest Les Paul I've ever owned was 9lbs 12oz., that one felt like box full of bricks and wasn't all that good sounding, kinda muted and lazy, the fatty.

View attachment 561362
The one I bought is exactly that color and is also a 2021… according the serial it was built in July, was

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 50s Standard Gold Top weighs in at 9.4 lbs and my Tribute LP is 7.9 lbs. I don’t necessarily prefer the weight of either one while playing, but the 50s Standard in the Costa Rican made case is a real beast to carry around.
Dude you're so right. The costa rican case is insanely heavy compared to a TKL.... The quality is great but the weight makes it feel like a tank.

drri

Reaction score
I’m the same as you guys, not calling the seller a liar at this point but I do have my doubts. Under 9 and I’ll let it slide…. Over 9 and probably dispute cause the headline and listing clearly says 7lbs 15oz.

Was bought off a forum (yes I used PayPal goods and services) and has shipped with a weight of 25lbs. Fingers crossed I got a needle in a haystack. Should know in a couple of days

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m the same as you guys, not calling the seller a liar at this point but I do have my doubts. Under 9 and I’ll let it slide…. Over 9 and probably dispute cause the headline and listing clearly says 7lbs 15oz.

Was bought off a forum (yes I used PayPal goods and services) and has shipped with a weight of 25lbs. Fingers crossed I got a needle in a haystack. Should know in a couple of days
Why don't you just play the thing first and see if it speaks to you.... it could be a great guitar.

DON'T BE A WEIGHT WEENIE.... :laugh2:

drri

Reaction score
Why don't you just play the thing first and see if it speaks to you.... it could be a great guitar.

DON'T BE A WEIGHT WEENIE.... :laugh2:
Oh of course I will, but if it’s not what he advertised why would he I say anything?

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh of course I will, but if it’s not what he advertised why would he I say anything?
i've sold guitars before and when people ask me the weight.... i just make it up because i don't have a scale. :io:

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
I bought it in a second!!’ Haha supposed to be here Monday so we’ll see

The one I bought is exactly that color and is also a 2021… according the serial it was built in July, was
Mine was built in late January of 2021.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
My standard 60’s is just over 10 lb, it’s a heavy one but I actually didn’t notice it feeling much heavier than my other LP. I didn’t even know the weight when I bought it, just felt and sounded good in my hands. I do prefer lighter guitars all else being equal, but looks, playability, and tone are just as important to me as weight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dude you're so right. The costa rican case is insanely heavy compared to a TKL.... The quality is great but the weight makes it feel like a tank.
Yup, my Tribute is in a TKL case is feels like a feather in comparison. Luckily I don’t really haul them around much.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I picked a 2021 50s Les Paul off the rack at Guitar Center and bought it (after playing it of course). I felt sure it would come in over 9lbs when I put it on my postal scale, but I was surprised when it weighed in at 8lbs 6ozs.
I picked a 2021 50s Les Paul off the rack at Guitar Center and bought it (after playing it of course). I felt sure it would come in over 9lbs when I put it on my postal scale, but I was surprised when it weighed in at 8lbs 16ozs.
Fixed!
:thumb:

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
My 2020 60’s Standard is 8lbs 13oz but they paired it with a Costa Rican case which must weigh 15 lbs! It’s a beast to get out of my guitar closet!

Latest Threads