Light weight 50's Standard?

drri

Reaction score
Been hunting for a production model lately cause I need a LP style and also wanted to not spend so much that I didn't want to do pickup swaps, plenty Historics around with decent weight but I managed to score a 2021 (July according to the serial #) 50's Standard that seller says is 7lbs 15oz.... Sounds a little too good to be true haha. Anyone else see any of the new standards around this weight? If so, curious if/how it would effect the overall tonality of the guitar?

I've had a production 335 that was sweet and currently have a production 339 that's amazing so I'm not against the production models, just never had a production LP.

Edit: It is indeed 7lbs 15oz. Pic on page 3

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
My experience of owning and making a lot of Les Pauls and guitars in general is the light ones are a lot more fickle with pickups.
Joe Bonamassa's been on camera saying his experience with the range of bursts he has played is that the heavier ones he found to be better tonally for his wants.

So in short, you will never find any consensus as we're all different. And every guitar is made for different bits of wood, so its not like you can accurately predict what a light one might do compared with a heavier one.

BDW60

Reaction score
There are always exceptions, but for me there’s a sweet zone. It’s the zone where it feels right in hand, on your lap, on a strap - and gives the best odds at sounding great. For me that zone is 8.5-8.8 pounds.

It’s an unscientific opinion, but it’s what my experience has taught me.

Peter M

Reaction score
7lbs 15oz.... Sounds a little too good to be true haha
Whether that's good is definitely up to the beholder. Les Pauls under 9 lbs. just don't feel right to me. Not saying I like the 10 lbs. behemoths. 9 to 9.5 lbs. is the perfect range IMO.

As for difference in tonality, I've never noticed a huge difference (through the amp) between an 8 pounder and a 9 pounder.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I doubt your seller‘s LP is under 8 pounds. Most of the recent 50’s and 60’s models seem to be in the 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 pound range. But, you’re going to have to play it to be sure if you like it at any weight.

drri

Reaction score
I doubt your seller‘s LP is under 8 pounds. Most of the recent 50’s and 60’s models seem to be in the 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 pound range. But, you’re going to have to play it to be sure if you like it at any weight.
yep, should know next week. Will report back

Prometheus

Reaction score
imho, lighter ones have this "airy" more hollow (in a good way mind) sounding character while heavier ones (esp my LPC) sounds like a concrete jackhammer on nitro, more solid, tighter sound so to speak

TheWelder

Reaction score
Been hunting for a production model lately cause I need a LP style and also wanted to not spend so much that I didn't want to do pickup swaps, plenty Historics around with decent weight but I managed to score a 2021 (July according to the serial #) 50's Standard that seller says is 7lbs 15oz.... Sounds a little too good to be true haha. Anyone else see any of the new standards around this weight? If so, curious if/how it would effect the overall tonality of the guitar?

I've had a production 335 that was sweet and currently have a production 339 that's amazing so I'm not against the production models, just never had a production LP.
I don’t know if buy that the weight of a Les Paul directly correlates with tonal qualities. If all other things are equal, I may opt for a lighter guitar as it’s a bit easier on the shoulder for a long night of gigging / rehearsing.

I will say that most Standards are 9lbs +. There are some that are less than 9lbs but they aren’t really common. Less than 8lbs, especially for a non-chambered USA Les Paul? That like finding Bigfoot. I’m not calling the seller a liar, but that is very uncommon from what I’ve seen.

Red Planet

Reaction score
I have seen a fair amount of recent vintage Standard 50s and the lightest I have played was 9 pounds 4 ounces. I purchased that guitar. The heaviest I have seen so far was 10 pounds 14 ounces.

Also to tone, my Standard 50s will ring like a bell and sustain for days.

BDW60

Reaction score
My 2020 Standard 60s is 8 pounds, 11 oz. It really seemed to be an outlier at that moderate weight. Most were super tubby. Gibson decided they would rather sell 9-10-11 pound Les Pauls than weight relieve them. Dubious decision, to me.

palmerfralick

Reaction score

if you don't want it let me know I'll grab it. Lightest one I've come across is 8.4. There are always some unicorns out there because you are dealing with products made from a natural source which is as we know is unpredictable. I had a 99 R9 that was 7 15 sadly sold many years ago.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have never put any guitar on a scale.

I'm against weight shaming!

:rofl:

Seriously, each guitar has its thing.
My Custom is a little heavy compared to my Standard,
but it has its tone and is worth the extra weight.
Plus when I play it, I forget about the weight.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
My LP 60's had 9.5lbs if I'm not mistaken. If yours have 7.9lbs, it might very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity in the USA 50's lineup lol

budg

Reaction score
The 50s Standards I’ve seen have all been around 10 lbs . Historical I’ve seen are rarely above 9 lbs. Ive not heard anyone complain about the tone on the Historics , so does heavier mean better tone? I dunno. YMMV.

BDW60

Reaction score
The 50s Standards I’ve seen have all been around 10 lbs . Historical I’ve seen are rarely above 9 lbs. Ive not heard anyone complain about the tone on the Historics , so does heavier mean better tone? I dunno. YMMV.
I had a CC 15 that was a bit more than 9 pounds. Compared to other (lighter) historics I have owned, that guitar sounded, for lack of a better term, “dense.” Not dull. Just dense and focused. I never considered it to be a do it all, versatile Les Paul. What it did, though, it did fantastically well.

My other historics were more lively, more balanced, more all purpose. Same for my 60s Standard.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Mine was listed at 8lbs 15oz from Zzounds, but in reality it was 9lbs 4oz. Taking the pickguard off put it at 9lbs 1oz. I tend to think that lighter is always better (coming from the SG world), but I'm loving the guitar and don't mind the weight. It feels right for a LP. It sure hasn't negatively impacted the sound!

That being said I'd be very hard pressed to go after anything higher than 9 1/2lbs.

Latest Threads