Light Weight 2021 LP Standards

gmann1956

Reaction score
The 2021 LP Standard in Heritage Cherry Burst I'm considering weighs 8 lb. 11 oz. Would that be considered a light weight, or more of a medium weight? I'm hoping its considered more toward the lighter weight side. Thanks!

Peter M

Reaction score
Check out the forum poll here for some insight. Weight is subjective; what feels "heavy" to one person feels "just right" to another. Since most Pauls tend to be in the 9-lbs. range I would say a little over 8.5 lbs is a bit on the light side.

Last edited:

Injector

Reaction score
Any USA Standard under 9.5lbs is of a decent weight. Significantly under 9lbs is light even for a Custom Shop LP.

BDW60

Reaction score
The 2021 LP Standard in Heritage Cherry Burst I'm considering weighs 8 lb. 11 oz. Would that be considered a light weight, or more of a medium weight? I'm hoping its considered more toward the lighter weight side. Thanks!
That’s a rare bird. My 2020 is the same weight. Better grab it if you’re not wanting one that’s fat, fatter, or fattest. IMO, that’s the perfect LP weight. Don’t let anyone tell you they gotta be 9-10 pounds and up. I don’t think anyone here would argue that historics are the best Gibson LPs, by and large. They overwhelmingly weigh between 8.25 and 9 pounds.

i recently got a 1980 Greco LP that is not chambered, not weight relieved, and only weighs 8.25 pounds. I have never had a LP that sustains better than this one.

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
Any USA Standard under 9.5lbs is of a decent weight. Significantly under 9lbs is light even for a Custom Shop LP.
I have owned about 10 historics, and with the exception of a CC 15 which was just over 9, the others were all well under 9 pounds. Not rare at all. Common, in fact.

gmann1956

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see many new standards under 9 lbs. I'm thinking this would be a good weight for me.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Depending on where the guitar comes from (to buy), the weight could be accurate or not. I trust Wildwood's scale. I got mine from Zzounds. Listed at 8lbs 15oz. Actually came in at 9lbs 5oz. Just something to keep in mind if you are looking at weights online.

Injector

Reaction score
I have owned about 10 historics, and with the exception of a CC 15 which was just over 9, the others were all well under 9 pounds. Not rare at all. Common, in fact.
I never said rare, I just said light (ie not heavy).

Classicplayer

Reaction score
My '18 Trad and '00 Classic both weight 9lbs. The Trad gives the appearance of having more wood in the neck as well as the body and I attribute the equal weights to the wood composition or maple cap thickness, hardware, etc. They both are big sounding and typical Les Paul tone with a “saxophone” like resonance from their neck pickups and a bark from both of their bridge pickups. Weight (alone) is not a true indicator of what you will hear when plugged in to your favorite amp. But weight might become a factor during a lengthy gig while standing up.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

kisschicken

Reaction score
I just got my first standard and I can't believe how heavy it is. Don't know what it weighs but it has to be at least 12 pounds.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Depending on where the guitar comes from (to buy), the weight could be accurate or not. I trust Wildwood's scale. I got mine from Zzounds. Listed at 8lbs 15oz. Actually came in at 9lbs 5oz. Just something to keep in mind if you are looking at weights online.
Interesting, I had a very similar experience buying from Leintz Music

The LP Standard 60's was advertised as 8lbs 15oz (as well), but came in at 9lbs 5oz

When I put the strap and played it, I was like "oof, okay, feels a little heavier but feels good"
I played it for a day or two without weighing .. still felt kind of heavy so I decided to weigh it. Sure enough, 9 lbs 5 oz

@OP: I agree with the others that the average weight of a non-relieved LP should be around 9.5lbs and anything at or below 9.0lbs is considered "light"

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I just bought a '21 50s Standard. It was on the wall at GC in the Platinum Room. Happened to be unlocked on the hanger. So I took it down. It felt real light. I thought - low 8 lbs. I plugged it in and it played and sounded great. I brought it home. Grabbed my wife's kitchen scale and weight it. She was like, what are you doing? I said, weighing my guitar. It's not like she hasn't seen me do it before. Anyway, it came in at 8 lbs 12 ozs. It still feels light. I thought for sure it was going to be in the low 8 lb range.

I think you have to go play it though and decide if you like how it feels and plays.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I just bought a '21 50s Standard. It was on the wall at GC in the Platinum Room. Happened to be unlocked on the hanger. So I took it down. It felt real light. I thought - low 8 lbs. I plugged it in and it played and sounded great. I brought it home. Grabbed my wife's kitchen scale and weight it. She was like, what are you doing? I said, weighing my guitar. It's not like she hasn't seen me do it before. Anyway, it came in at 8 lbs 12 ozs. It still feels light. I thought for sure it was going to be in the low 8 lb range.

I think you have to go play it though and decide if you like how it feels and plays.
Nice! Looks like a nice find for a non-relieved LP!
I think weight balance matters a lot. I had a superstrat that only weighed like 8.2 lbs or something, but it was neck heavy. After half a gig my shoulder was killing me. On another day, I played with my 9lbs LP almost all night and didn't have a problem.

bryvincent

Reaction score
just weighed my 2019 50s Standard yesterday and it came in at 8 lbs. 8.8 oz. or 8.55 lbs.

with the pickguard and pup covers removed, it weighs 8lbs 6.9 oz or 8.43 lbs.

Injector

Reaction score
just weighed my 2019 50s Standard yesterday and it came in at 8 lbs. 8.8 oz. or 8.55 lbs.

with the pickguard and pup covers removed, it weighs 8lbs 6.9 oz or 8.43 lbs.
That's incredbly light for a 50s Standard. I had one which I later sold that weighed 10lbs 8oz.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
8.5 pounds is light for any solid Les Paul. Most of the new Standards are over 9.

Latest Threads