Lifton Case And Cracked Tuner Knob

Pete M

Reaction score
Ok you guys just convinced me to email Gibson. Waiting for a reply. Nothing to lose. A spare tuner would be nice to have.

As for the case padding, I’ve removed all the foam, except the one on the lower bout. I used a polish cloth to form another neck cradle near the headstock. This will elevate the neck slightly to create a bigger gap from the headstock to the case floor. Then I placed another folded polish cloth on top of the first few frets to prevent the nut from slamming on the case top and also to keep the guitar from moving when the case is stood on its side. I really don’t like these latest Liftons. Really lousy padding. Much prefer the 2013-2017 versions. Looked right with tons of padding. But it’s the original case...just for the sake of keeping things all original.

View attachment 395836
Make sure you wear a crash helmet and elbow pads if you ever play the thing :laugh2:

Seriously though, I would say the plastic split when the tuner was made, and it's nothing to do with the guitar. take it off and replace it if it bothers you. Also those Lifton cases offer almost no protection for guitars at all, if you're worried get something meatier.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
caloyburger, nice top, nice colour. The lifton case offers no protection. It is a nice piece of anachronism or nostalgia but practically useless for carrying your guitar safely. i store my R9s in them in the home studio because I can't afford to buy a separate case for each of them. I bought a Hiscox Pro II EG case for carrying one about daily. A Mono Vertigo or Reunion Blues gigbag also works splendidly.

Don't get too emotionally attached to that Lifton-style POS. It offers no real protection should the case fall with your R9 in it.

Keep the Lifton-style case for resale, should you sell the R9 one day. But, imho, it is a useless POS. I attach no nostalgic value to it as I cannot play a case.