Lifton Case And Cracked Tuner Knob

caloyburger

Reaction score
Brand new R9. Great great guitar. Did a thorough inspection today after taking it home last week. All pretty much perfect, better workmanship than others I’ve tried. Lifton case has the usual padding...same as my R8 and BB7.

Then looking at the headstock area, I see a cracked D string tuner knob. Ok these don’t usually bother me as it’s functionally perfect but man, I’m afraid too much pressure was put on the headstock. I put the guitar back in the case and check the headstock area. The knob is barely touching the case floor. Close the lid with all the padding, I’m sure more pressure will be applied.

Reasure me guys...I’m hoping it’s more a material defect rather than a crack caused by pressure when the case is closed. Aren’t these tuners pretty durable? Next thing I did was remove all the foam padding and make an upper neck support with some polish cloth I had. What do you guys think? Cracked due to pressure? Or would you say it was there before they shipped it out?

Attachments

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
that's a mighty nice headstock, but let's see your top of that thing!!

This is a perfect case for factory warranty. Hey that reminds me, I still need to submit my factory warranty on my '19....

DanD

Reaction score
When Gibson changed tuners from the Japsnese 'green' key Gotoh SD 90s for more proper looking [but mechanically inferior IMO] Korean Klusons the appearance improved but the material used by Kluspn is far more brittle and very prone to cracks like yours.

caloyburger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. A lot less worried now and looks like my hunch is correct, it’s a materials issue not a crack caused by the case. Saw another R9 at the shop with the same cracked key. It was also made a day before mine. Here’s the guitar. A nice honey lemon fade with interesting grain and not overly flamed. I’d say it looks more authentic.
475E83AE-EA9F-4CA1-8FF9-5D95A5DD733C.jpeg

OBX351

Reaction score
Just call Gibson, they'll take care of it. Nice looking guitar, congrats!

Chris Essex

Reaction score
Brand new R9. Great great guitar. Did a thorough inspection today after taking it home last week. All pretty much perfect, better workmanship than others I’ve tried. Lifton case has the usual padding...same as my R8 and BB7.

Then looking at the headstock area, I see a cracked D string tuner knob. Ok these don’t usually bother me as it’s functionally perfect but man, I’m afraid too much pressure was put on the headstock. I put the guitar back in the case and check the headstock area. The knob is barely touching the case floor. Close the lid with all the padding, I’m sure more pressure will be applied.

Reasure me guys...I’m hoping it’s more a material defect rather than a crack caused by pressure when the case is closed. Aren’t these tuners pretty durable? Next thing I did was remove all the foam padding and make an upper neck support with some polish cloth I had. What do you guys think? Cracked due to pressure? Or would you say it was there before they shipped it out?
Same thing happened to me, when i ordered my new Custom shop historic 60's vos, called the shop and they contacted Gibson for me, got the replacement (and a spare) in just a few days!!.. Job done!

caloyburger

Reaction score
Thanks again guys! I’m keeping it as is and there’s no other issue other than cosmetic. I may email Gibson but I feel it’s not really necessary. Tuner is stable and fuctions well. I doubt it will be cracking any further. Just wanted to check if this was common occurence and a function of the tuner key material quality.

Netwarrior

Reaction score
According to my experience, original volume/tone knobs are also really prone to cracking.
I now have a 2016 R8 and 2018 R6 and both had a couple of knobs developing glass-like cracks after few months from the purchase even though I've never tried to remove them.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Thanks again guys! I’m keeping it as is and there’s no other issue other than cosmetic. I may email Gibson but I feel it’s not really necessary. Tuner is stable and fuctions well. I doubt it will be cracking any further. Just wanted to check if this was common occurence and a function of the tuner key material quality.
Stable? You DOUBT it'll get worse? Baseless optimism. it's cracked. it will get worse. Nothing like having a tuner button crumble while tuning up in the middle of a set.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Why not fix the "problem" right now and get a replacement?
Even if you just put it in the case.
In 5 or 10 years if you have a problem with it, it will be too late to get a free replacement
and the one you'll get might differ slightly and that's gonna bother you I bet.

Also, I don't like the added foam in the case.
It could put undue pressure on the headstock and that's what you don't want.
Original guitar in original case in original state.

Absolutely beautiful guitar!
:thumb:

caloyburger

Reaction score
Ok you guys just convinced me to email Gibson. Waiting for a reply. Nothing to lose. A spare tuner would be nice to have.

As for the case padding, I’ve removed all the foam, except the one on the lower bout. I used a polish cloth to form another neck cradle near the headstock. This will elevate the neck slightly to create a bigger gap from the headstock to the case floor. Then I placed another folded polish cloth on top of the first few frets to prevent the nut from slamming on the case top and also to keep the guitar from moving when the case is stood on its side. I really don’t like these latest Liftons. Really lousy padding. Much prefer the 2013-2017 versions. Looked right with tons of padding. But it’s the original case...just for the sake of keeping things all original.

FC39A29F-4E0D-4C3E-81CA-4C5712ADAA29.jpeg

Last edited:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
On you guys just convinced me to email Gibson. Waiting for a reply. Nothing to lose. A spare tuner would be nice to have.

As for the case padding, I’ve removed all the foam, except the one on the lower bout. I used a polish cloth to form another neck cradle near the headstock. This will elevate the neck slightly to create a bigger gap from the headstock to the case floor. Then I placed another folded polish cloth on top of the first few frets to prevent the nut from slamming on the case top and also to keep the guitar from moving when the case is stood on its side. I really don’t like these latest Liftons. Really lousy padding. Much prefer the 2013-2017 versions. Looked right with tons of padding. But it’s the original case...just for the sake of keeping things all original.

View attachment 395836
:thumb:

Boss SD-1 in the background?
:)

bluefingers65

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. A lot less worried now and looks like my hunch is correct, it’s a materials issue not a crack caused by the case. Saw another R9 at the shop with the same cracked key. It was also made a day before mine. Here’s the guitar. A nice honey lemon fade with interesting grain and not overly flamed. I’d say it looks more authentic.
View attachment 394788
Glad you are now relaxed about the tuner. That is one gorgeous top - I am with you regarding the grain / subtle flame issue - definitely looks older and more authentic. I love the 'watermark' grain on my 2014 R0, but yours is sublime - enjoy!

Attachments

My Les Paul Classifieds