Life with a toddler.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Then, one day you wake up and realize your kids have kids. Trust me on this... if you liked your kids, you are really going to love your kid's kids. Same thing... only they go home at the end of the day... well, most days, anyway.

The decades fly past quickly. Enjoy the moment - always!

irocdave12

Reaction score
You can take it from me....a guy who has raised his son by himself since he was 9 months old. You are in for an adventure. Age 2 ....they are still cute and adorable. Now when you get to age 5 like mine is currently, its a whole different world. They are smart, manipulating risk taking little stinkers. You can’t trust them for a second at this stage. And my son is actually very well behaved. It is literally a 3 person job bringing up a toddler. You have to think 3 steps ahead of the present moment at all times unless they are sleeping and even then you gotta stay on top of them. If you are good at doing 4 things at once and get good at predicting life and the moves planned through the eyes of a toddler you got it made. I remember a time In my life when getting a new Les Paul and gazing upon it for the first time seemed like the happiest moment that could ever occur. Now it’s seeing that school bus pull up to take him away for 6 hours which gives me some time to lower my blood pressure and stop twitching that brings a tear of happiness to my eye. But all kidding aside...raising up a child and earning their love and affection is the most fulfilling and meaningful thing you can ever do in a lifetime. It’s truly doing God’s work.
P.S. Best move I ever made was at age 3 I bought him a brand new Epiphone Les Paul Jr and gave it to him as his to get all the curiosity and need to touch a guitar out of his system. Instilled the law that it is his and he is to never touch Daddy’s guitar. Years on and he’s never touched one of mine or let me down on that important issue. He loves his guitar and thinks plugging into an amp and just making god awful noise is the greatest thing ever. Now my neighbors....probably not as big of a fan of his playing style

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I did the 28-hour round trip drive to get my son home from school and back for Thanksgiving. He's got a dog and can't fly. Of course he doesn't make any effort to get someone to ride along and I know he'd not up to doing a 14-hour drive in a single day. I also know that he is like me and no matter how tired, he'll keep plodding along.

So, I flew down, went out with my friends (while he hung out with his GF) and had him pick me up on his way out of town. He made it about 4 hours into the drive before I took over (I don't mind doing long drives). I drove the rest of the way. On the way back he might have done 6+ hours in a couple of stints. I couldn't do much more than 5-6 hours when I was that age. I have gotten good at long haul drives as I have gotten more mature.

The long drives aren't my favorite activity, but I got 28 hours of one-on-one with my favorite guy in the world. So, there's that.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We went grocery shopping at Walmart yesterday. My girlfriend did the shopping and I chased her little boy around the store. He is FAST. I don't know how she does it alone. My hats off to her. One minute hes with us and the next minute hes off to the races. He didn't want me to hold him and he didn't want to ride in the cart. It was a ton of fun but man he wore me out!

I just got him dressed for church this morning. Getting a toddler dressed. Oh me oh my lmao

Last edited:

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I figured out how to get him dressed. Scat to him. Beeee boo shoop de doop beee bop.

PeteK

Reaction score
I figured out how to get him dressed. Scat to him. Beeee boo shoop de doop beee bop.
My daughter learns to adapt to the situation real quick. Every time I think I've figured out how to get her dressed or fed or get her to clean up a mess, she changes her game plan. What worked last time doesn't work this time. She's the friggin Bill Bellicheck of toddlerdom.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
life with a toddler....should mean toddler robs you of yours!

I've lived with a 4yr old, but never a toddler. No kids of my own, and I like it that way. Usurpers of free time, energy, money, patience, nerves.... the list goes on and on.

Glad the OP is having a great time, some people are cut out for it, some (like me) aren't. Doesn't make me a bad person, in fact it only goes to show how responsible I am in that regard because I'd be a miserable parent, I just know it. That's not fair to the child, even I know that. Hence, no kids of my own.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
You start off being able to play man-on-man defense. However, as soon as you have two or three, you're looking at zone all the way. You might 'show' them a man-on-man posture, but given the personnel package, you're stuck with zone. Two adults with 3+ kids can do a little "Match up" zone if there's a wildcard in the bunch.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
I miss that phase, now that my (3) kids are in their teens and early 20's. My wife, not so much. We each had the reverse opinion when they were young.

Enjoy it while you can, as it goes all too quickly, and do the best you can. :applause:
Scooters right. Goes by REAL fast.

I loved reading to my son. Read to your young man everyday. He will reap the rewards
in the near future.

My son was reading college level material in Middle school. Now he's smarter than me
and I don't even bother to try to argue with him. (He's 25 now)

Good on you bling. Kids are the most important investment. Nice what you did for mom too.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's all so surreal. I never imagined I'd get to be a father figure.