Life advice needed

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worked in a factory for 22 years. Rotating shifts every week. Became a recluse alcoholic. Made fantastic money and had no debt. Blew it all on wasting my life. 5 years ago, I quit my job, cashed in my pension and moved to the USA from Canada to start over. I'm now sober, happily married and am in the process of starting my own woodworking business. Best decision I ever made. Huge risk, huge life change and a big financial hit.
I'm healthy and happy, but I did the move from a big city (Toronto) to a rural small town in mid Ohio. Kinda reverse of you. Your job skills will get you a job anywhere you want to go. Just work it until you find what you really want. CNC operators are always in need everywhere.
Spread your wings young man and fly! You'll regret and never know what could have been if you don't. You are in the shiftwork wasteland that never works for health, relationships and just being "normal". Follow your heart, but I will say I have NO regrets and am making life what I want it to be and not letting life define me.
We are here to live and grow. Go live and grow!!
Live and learn. Nice saying, but if you never really lived, it's a moot point. Go live and learn!!
May your future be as awesome as mine is! Go grab life and punch it in the face. That's what it's doing to you now. Don't let it do that anymore.

(if it doesn't work out, I wasn't here) - disclaimer :)

bscenefilms

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice is this: Wherever you plan to move to (FL,TX,CA whatever), take a week's vacation and spend it there. Do the week during the worst weather season for that locale. That way you know what to expect (sorta).

Hamtone

Reaction score
Take it from someone who has done this;

Sell your trash and move, its that easy. Millions do this every day and millions live in the place where you want to move just do it, dont think about it just do it. Good luck

TA462

Reaction score
I'm 49 and have worked in a factory and did the shift rotation for 27 years now. Yep, it sucks but the pay is good and it allows me to buy what ever I want. If I was in your position and knowing what I know now I would leave and never look back. Do something you enjoy. I don't have any regrets BUT I do wish I did something different from time to time.

I would ask you present employer if they would give you a 6 month leave of absence that way if you decide you made a mistake you could always go back to them.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Last fill in piece of advice. Something i have learned and as reckless as it sounds its actually quite grounded.

Do not leave yourself any option except to succeed. Meaning do not have escape plans to move back (unless your desire is so strong you must) burn all the bridges and burn the ships when you arrive.

Most humans over think it and allow themselves way to much wiggle room. If it sucks in Miami area leave there and go to destination 2. There is a whole wide world out there and its not there for you to merely dream over, go see it and live it. You will survive no matter what.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Find a roommate on Craigslist and find a job. I'd just make sure you get the job first.

You could also join the military if you're hell bent on leaving home. If you're smart, a couple of years later you'll have a very marketable skill.

barricwiley

Reaction score
"And if you do"----- Go Navy or Air Force. IMHO, better training, schools, medical and in general - 3 hots a day.

Hamtone

Reaction score
"And if you do"----- Go Navy or Air Force. IMHO, better training, schools, medical and in general - 3 hots a day.

Schools and training are no different everything is the same now.

Quality of life in the Af is the best for sure, skip the navy unless you want to deploy on ship for 6 months at a whack

firesgt911

Reaction score

I loved my time in the Air Force. Saw the world, met a girl, had a family and gained life long friends. Joining at your age is not uncommon and often makes life a little easier as your bosses will appreciate your maturity and responsible behavior.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Before doing anything, understand this: moving somewhere new isn't going to get you a hot, sweet girl, cool new friends, a good job or a nice pad. That stuff is all on you. You can pick a location that improves the odds of these things but, you have to go out and do it.

Pick three or four potential areas. Research specific industries and companies that are suitable for your skills. Beat the sh*t out of the bushes for job leads before going anywhere. See if you can't have at least a handful of very good prospects before visiting. Line up as many interviews as possible over the course of a couple days. Use an online site like orbitz to book airfare, hotel and rental car all at the same time (cheaper). Fly out, get a job, check out the town and bust a move.

A couple of other random musings:

- in San Diego, even the ugly chicks have hot bodies
-Miami-Fort Lauderdale is a big geographic area with hundreds of clusters of businesses
-The Dallas Metroplex (Dallas, Plano, Fort Worth) is a slightly bigger area with probably more jobs and a good state economy. It is a hike to get to the beach from Dallas.
- Check out companies like L3 and search their web pages for locations and job openings. Big ass companies living off of the govt teet are doing well. Start there.
-make sure that you have good work references.
-don't burn bridges when you leave town, you might want to go back some day
-if possible, pick a spot that is reasonable driving distance from a major airport with direct (discount airline), nonstop flights to Indi.

Angus

Reaction score

I loved my time in the Air Force. Saw the world, met a girl, had a family and gained life long friends. .

You don't want to be in the Airforce!

You want to be lumberjack!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg]Lumber jack song - YouTube[/ame]

Seriously, all the best with whatever you decide. :)

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What Tone Deaf said was true, though. Sometimes you need a change of scenery, sometimes you need to make changes in life, but don't expect life to go vastly differently unless you make some personal changes as well, i.e. how you relate to other people, treat other people, how you communicate, all that kind of thing. Not that you're necessarily doing it wrong now, just pointing it out.

And I'm not advocating the military, but I did 4 years in the Air Force (1999-2003) and it worked out pretty well. I'm just saying that it's an option if all else fails and you feel you need to move out of town and see the world. Be smart, pick a career that will give you a good job on the outside (IT, electronics technician, medical technician, etc, etc) and it could help get you where you want to be.

firesgt911

Reaction score
Before doing anything, understand this: moving somewhere new isn't going to get you a hot, sweet girl, cool new friends, a good job or a nice pad. That stuff is all on you. You can pick a location that improves the odds of these things but, you have to go out and do it.

Pick three or four potential areas. Research specific industries and companies that are suitable for your skills. Beat the sh*t out of the bushes for job leads before going anywhere. See if you can't have at least a handful of very good prospects before visiting. Line up as many interviews as possible over the course of a couple days. Use an online site like orbitz to book airfare, hotel and rental car all at the same time (cheaper). Fly out, get a job, check out the town and bust a move.

A couple of other random musings:

- in San Diego, even the ugly chicks have hot bodies
-Miami-Fort Lauderdale is a big geographic area with hundreds of clusters of businesses
-The Dallas Metroplex (Dallas, Plano, Fort Worth) is a slightly bigger area with probably more jobs and a good state economy. It is a hike to get to the beach from Dallas.
- Check out companies like L3 and search their web pages for locations and job openings. Big ass companies living off of the govt teet are doing well. Start there.
-make sure that you have good work references.
-don't burn bridges when you leave town, you might want to go back some day
-if possible, pick a spot that is reasonable driving distance from a major airport with direct (discount airline), nonstop flights to Indi.

I can second this. The economy in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is pretty good. With your background, there are plenty of $40-50k a year starting out jobs to be had with plenty of room to advance to higher incomes. This is a large metropolitan area too. Something like 8 million people in the metroplex. Lots of night life and things to do.

BUT, moving by yourself to a new place isn't neccesarily easy. There is the hard transition period where you don't know anybody and meeting people can sometimes be hard. I think you are in the perfect position to do it though. You are at the right age and don't have anything holding you into your current situation. If you feel like you need a change, make a change. Life is too short to be unhappy.

MikeBuyer

Reaction score
Follow your dreams, but be realistic too. Know your strengths and weaknesses. I can (and do) dream of being a famous musician, but the reality is that I am just not a very good. I am a terrible singer, the songs I write are passable at best, I don't look anything like a rock star, and I have no money. All of this doesn't mean that I will give up on my dream, but at the same time I know that I am not ready to move to New York, L.A. or Nashville, and start knocking on doors. Have patience and take time to grow, learn, think. Eventually things will begin to fall in to place.

Hamtone

Reaction score
I can second this. The economy in the Dallas/Ft Worth area is pretty good. With your background, there are plenty of $40-50k a year starting out jobs to be had with plenty of room to advance to higher incomes. This is a large metropolitan area too. Something like 8 million people in the metroplex. Lots of night life and things to do.

BUT, moving by yourself to a new place isn't neccesarily easy. There is the hard transition period where you don't know anybody and meeting people can sometimes be hard. I think you are in the perfect position to do it though. You are at the right age and don't have anything holding you into your current situation. If you feel like you need a change, make a change. Life is too short to be unhappy.

Meh, I did it 2 years ago this august. While I agree meeting new people and making friends is not easy, its certainly easier if you work someplace with people. I work from home and I am self employed, I have to invent ways to meet people. You will be fine, youre 26 years old with a machining background you will be fine.

User100

Reaction score
Is your job now Union............?

If so I wouldn't be in a big hurry to go anywhere until you do the real math of what you have, or may be leaving on the table.

Do you have a form of Retirement...does it have a qualifying period?
Can it go with you?

Do you have med-dental-disabilty ins..?

I'm all for making changes and following a passion or desire.....

Just use some intelligence and common sense before you jump.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
You are 26, and the only responsibility you have is to yourself. If you are ever going to do this, do it now. Don't wait, and don't second guess. It's not like you can't ever come back to your hometown if you figure out it isn't for you.

That being said, do it smart. Don't limit yourself to one area. You obviously have a computer, or some means of being on the net, so do some research, and keep an open mind. Make a plan.

If you get vacation time at your current job, take some and fly or drive out to wherever it is you are considering moving. It would take some of your savings, but it would be wise. Better to spend 1k and 1 week somewhere and figure out it's not for you than blow the whole 6k and have no job to come back to. You could also throw a few job applications in while you are there visting, as well as talk to some locals and get a feel for "the scene" there.

That's my two cents.

dmvksv

Reaction score
You should absolutely do it. You have no debts, you're still young and you have a needed skill. But before you do, research the economy , cost of living, and job market of the area. It doesn't matter how warm the area is, or how hot the women are, if you can't find a decent job, you won't be enjoying either. Don't limit yourself to just Florida, go where the jobs are. The new friends and the women will happen no matter where you decide to call home.

CwillyPlay

Reaction score
You should stay, wait for the factory to close, maybe one of your buds will lose his turn then she's yours, she may even have kids :shock:
Then look for a nice old trailer to move into.

Latest Threads