Life advice needed

garlan87

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. :thumb:
I hope this is the appropriate place for this. And I would like to first of all thank everyone for sharing all the in depth information that is available on this forum!!:applause:

So as the title implies I am in need of some life advice. I'll try to keep it as short as possible lol. Here is a little about me and where I need advice.

I'm 26 and from a small town in indiana. I'm single with no kids and I've lived here my whole life, worked in factories since the day I graduated high school. I've mostly been a machinist running manual machines, setting up / running CNC and set up / programming industrial welding / handling robots. I've lived the small town life. Quiet, chill, and mostly nothing to do except spend time with friends.

I have never wanted to work in factories at all but I have because of the good pay and they are pretty much all there is job wise around here besides taco bell. I've wasted years of my life away stuck on abnormal work shifts. I still live at home because every bit I've gotten ahead finance wise something major would wipe me out. Not married because the ladies around here are very untrustworthy and very few in numbers compared to guys so they pick and chose and jump around between different guys every week. :shock:

So where do I need advice??
My father has recently passed away and mom is moving to a smaller home or apartment soon. I have about 6k saved to start some sort of new life. My car is paid off, have great credit, and not in any debt. I really want to move to Ft. Lauderdale / Miami area because I absolutely HATE the winter weather and anything below 60. I've always dreamt of living somewhere tropical. I would have to make the move alone and have never moved anywhere before. My plans are to move somewhere in that area find a sweet girl, make new friends and start a family life of my own. Then pretty much enjoy life instead of feel like its wasting away.

Is this possible?

Do you think:
I could find a job that pays well enough to live alone for awhile?
That is enough money to get me started?
It would be hard to make friends?
That moving from small town to big city would be to much?
This is just a dream and I am better off sucking it up, hating my life and throwing down anchor in the town I'm from?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks so much for you time and responses!! :dude:

JayFreddy

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your father. Follow your dreams.

Even if they don't pan out, by following your dreams, you'll still end up in a better place than if you just resign yourself to a fate that you know you don't want.

Sounds to me like you need to move, but you're not sure where to go. If Miami is really where your heart is at, then by all means, go there.

There are good jobs in places like Midland and Corpus Christi Texas too. I think Midland Texas has the lowest rate of unemployment in the country at the moment. McDonald's in Midland starting salary is around $15 an hour. And they still can't find people. Apartments are reasonable too.

While the weather might not quite be the same as Miami, it certainly won't be as bad as Indiana...

Good luck! :cool:

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
It's a big move and a big change in your life.
You got a touch of stage fright is all.
If you're that unhappy with your current arrangements you owe it to your future self to do something about them.
If you have friends in your current life, you'll make new ones elsewhere.
But do your research on wherever you're thinking of moving to.
Check out the local vacancies and accommodation opportunities.

What happens when you want to see Mom?
You will likely be homesick for a while, during your settling-in period.
You will miss family and friends for a while.

Southpaw 68

Reaction score
Hi there. Being from the UK I'm in no position to advise on job prospects anywhere in the States. You sound like a hard working guy with a sensible head on your shoulders. You're still young. Don't look on your years at home as wasted time. It wasn't. It's already been said - follow your dream.

I know what it's like to lose your dad when you're young. I'm really sorry to hear that. All the very best to you and keep in touch.

Pete :wave:

monkeyboy

Reaction score
I would say go for it. Six grand should be enough for gas money to get there, a deposit on a small apartment to start, and a few weeks of living until you settle in. Can you make a trip down there before taking the plunge just to check out the area? Hop on a site like Monster and check out the job scenario. My brother and his wife relocated their whole family from New England to North Carolina because of the job market, weather, and cost of living. I have been considering following them with my own family. Its a hard call to make, but can pay off if it makes you happy. My mother did something similar when I was a kid. She packed us up and moved to PA. I have an exponentially better life here than what was available in Mass.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
Listen to me and listen good:

You're a young guy. You appear to have your shit together. You wanna do something? Go fuking DO it.

Some day you're gonna be 52 years old and the WTF have I done?! question will land on your skull like a shit ton of bricks. Don't be that guy.

tragewombat

Reaction score
Do it. Study up on the economic conditions, make a selection and if you think you've found something nice, get your feelers out (maybe even here). There's bound to be some locals who can provide some eyewitness info.

Also don't focus on dream locations only. Sure a tropical island may sound nice but after 6 months of blistering heat you'll be pining for snow :)

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Sorry for the loss of your dad.

Like the others have said - do it. You sound like a smart guy who has his act together and should do well. If you want to play it safe, see if you can line up a job before you make the move so you don't find yourself far away and out of work. In the mean time, maybe you can stay with your mom for a while until you can get a job lined up down there so you're not out of work and blowing through your savings; move in with her, split the rent and stuff and do it when you know you can do it without having to fret over work.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
start looking in those local papers now (on line) for job leads.

you can probably interview over the phone.
i just came back from florida on personal business, and wish i had stayed.

i'm 48.
had i been 26, i would have.

if 6k is enough to live on in indiana, its enough for florida.

go south young man....go south.:slash:

cherokee

Reaction score
Find job first then move.

6 thousand is nothing to live on IMHO.

good luck.

six-string

Reaction score
in general i agree with most of the comments here. you should make the change that makes you happy or at least opens opportunities to be happier.

but i gotta ask- have you been to Miami/South Florida? do you know anyone who lives there? living somewhere is very different than being a tourist or short term visitor.
do your homework and find out if that is really where you want to move.
there are other big cities like LA, Phoneix, D/FW, Houston etc that are mostly warm weather places too. and depending on what type of work skills experience you have, there may be better job prospects elsewhere.
eventually you will have to decide and take a chance. there is always some risk that things may not work out. but then again, moving may be the best decision you ever made.

about the ladies- don't expect that just because you move somewhere that the women will be any more abundant or virtuous than where you are coming from.
best of luck!

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
Oh yeah. The women? Forget that shit for now. It's ALL about you for the time being.

In my business we call this OE. Operating Experience. :D

ATM47

Reaction score
If you don't try you will be so sorry later in life.
See if you can line up a job there first though.

El Pablo

Reaction score
Like others here, sorry about about your loss.

The best advise I ever received was in the form of a question. If you had a really close friend/relative that approached you with the same question, what would you tell them? This gives you a chance to look at the situation a little outside the box. Otherwise, follow that little voice in your head. Your not a teenager anymore. Your a man without the ties of a wife and children. That gives you the perfect opportunity to call your own shots. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way.

BTW, if you can, maybe take a little trip around some areas that you are thinking of. Heck, take your mom and make it a trip you will both treasure for the rest of your life. This may be a hard time for her. She will appreciate your consideration of her opinions too.

Good LUCK!!

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
One more thing I need to mention or I'd be remiss in my duties as the aforementioned 52 year old man with a shit ton of bricks on his head;

Avoid beaver! It's the gateway drug to minivans.

dngrsdave

Reaction score
If you have the time, TRy looking for a job before you move. The Internet brings the World to you and most places prefer an On-line Application first.

Make sure you leave on Good terms with your Old job just in case you need it. Plus, you can use them as a reference.

I remember watching a 60 Minutes episode of ( I think it was BMW) Tennesee looking for Machinist and Higher level Operating type jobs with no able and motivated people to fill them.

Use your Head and Go for It !!! AS others have said " You're Young and now is the time to make your move.

Hack

Reaction score
Theres a whole world out there, dont limit yourself to the states.

6K, young and no ties... I'm hopping a boat. There are plenty of places in the world that can use a young, english speaking guy.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
follow your heart, life isn't a dress rehearsal.

you may thrive or you may crash and burn. But it wont kill ya and you never know unless you try.

Good luck. :)

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
I definitely agree to find a job first and then move. If you get a good enough job to afford living in Miami, then go for it. But don't commit too much to a certain location; if there aren't jobs there, don't go. But best of luck to a fellow Hoosier!

Latest Threads