LF Dad's Stolen 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Natural Finish

itman

Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to preface this by saying I am not a guitar buff by any means, I am simply a daughter who dearly loves her father.

In the late 90's my dad had his 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom stolen out of the back of his truck in Snohomish, WA. He has always described it as one of the most crushing moments of his life. A little over 2 years ago in April, 2020 he found it on ebay. A consignment shop in Seattle had it. My dad had sent photos to the shop to prove it was his but at that point the shop had already sold the guitar and don't believe they followed up with my dad when he asked for the buyers info. My dad tore the house apart looking for the police report to no avail. He also contacted the Snohomish police department to see if they had old police reports but they hadn't kept any paper reports when they switched to computers.

My only goal in life is to get my dad's guitar back. Its super distinct, it has a scratch on the front. If anyone has seen this guitar ever please lmk, just a shot in the dark. Tired of searching ebay every few months :((

Attachments

• LES PAUL 3.jpg
    LES PAUL 3.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 107
  • LES PAUL 2.jpg
    LES PAUL 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 104
  • LES PAUL 1.jpg
    LES PAUL 1.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 104

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your dad contacts the police with the info of the guitar being stolen, they may order the shop to turn over the seller's info, that may create a chain of ownership that could lead to your dad getting his guitar back. The popo are always interested in stolen property.

Give it a shot, they can only say no, but they may say yes.

itman

Reaction score
If your dad contacts the police with the info of the guitar being stolen, they may order the shop to turn over the seller's info, that may create a chain of ownership that could lead to your dad getting his guitar back. The popo are always interested in stolen property.

Give it a shot, they can only say no, but they may say yes.
Pretty positive the statute of limitations passed on it :( Stolen late 90s and SoL is 3-6 years in WA. Hoping whoever bought it eventually decides to resell it.

1allspub

Reaction score
Suuuucks... sorry for your dad. Guitars are such a personal item (at least the one we really bond with)... having one stolen is such a violation (once had on old muscle car stolen that I’d bought to drive and restore/modify and it was stolen... I was a huuuge car guy at the time, and having it taken from me it literally changed the trajectory of my passions from cars to other things—so I get it now violating it is.

Really hope you dad gets his LPC back someday. Best of luck.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
That really sucks, especially considering it was a very cool Les Paul Custom. Such a highly desirable guitar is going to be especially tough to get out of someone else's hands. Besides eBay, you should also be monitoring Washington-area Craigslist and Reverb.com. Your best bet is just finding it for sale, and being to straight up buy it back. Also, popping into websites "every few months" is really grasping at straws; you need to have dedicated searches set up, or be popping in more often. Good Luck!

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
IMO, there's a special place in hell for guitar thieves.

I have some guitars that are "just guitars" but the ones I really care about are like an extension of my body/soul. No amount of money can replace them.

I once discovered that I guitar I bought had been stolen and I was able to get it back to the original owner.

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
You must have Serial Number for this investigation to go somewhere. There's a stolen guitars list somewhere, so your dad's guitar can be added to that list, also people on forum may take notice when that SN comes up for sale. Without SN it will be challenging to prove the guitar belonged to your father. Otherwise you will have to rely on the unique features of the top (texture of the wood), but this will be more difficult to pursue.