Letting a guitar acclimate.

zowenso

Reaction score
Hello. So, I ordered a guitar from California. I’m in Massachusetts, where it’s freezing right now. The guitar shipped Monday and made it to Connecticut today, Friday, where I assume it will now sit in a truck or warehouse until Monday. When I get the guitar, how long should I let the guitar sit in the case, unopened, so it acclimates to the conditions here? I’ve never ordered a guitar online, but I’m assuming I should not open the case at all for a period of time? Thanks.

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Don't open it at least for several hours. Then take it out of the box and feel the case hinges until they seem room temp, or so. Then do a quick open to touch then close. If it feels not too cold, which it should, it's fine.

I just had one arrive to MI Wednesday ...I had it out after about 6 - 7 hours.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Yep, at least several hours. Some say 24, but that is likely too long. I'd leave it the cardboard outer box as well.

zowenso

Reaction score
Yeah, I won’t have time to even check it out until Wednesday, which sucks. But on a positive, it’s going to be unusually warm for the next few days in the 40s.

zowenso

Reaction score
CEC9E934-577E-4FF0-BCF8-3919AC6D1164.jpeg
So, it has arrived. Weather is warm today which is good. I think the seller said to rest it standing up, which I’m doing. I would rather lean it against something, but not knowing which way the top is facing worries me. I don’t want it leaning up against a wall with the top facing down, I feel like that wouldn’t be good for the guitar. Does that make sense?

Why do pics post sideways?

Last edited:

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're fine like it is. By tonight you will be fine

I Break Things

Reaction score
I don't really bother waiting. Just the temperature in my bedroom can go from 30's to 60's in the same day here.

zowenso

Reaction score
I hear you. I suppose temps do fluctuate. I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry. It’s not that cold today, but I’m sure it’s the coldest that this guitar has ever seen.

I Break Things

Reaction score
I hear you. I suppose temps do fluctuate. I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry. It’s not that cold today, but I’m sure it’s the coldest that this guitar has ever seen.
It's probably best to wait in most climates. My Ibanez had a sticker on the box that said to leave it in the box for 24 hours before opening, but the temperature fluctuates so frequently here that I figured waiting was pointless. Plus, it was a fairly warm day.

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Ah, the joys of living in the Northeast! I have a Tele with a custom neck, and once a year the board shrinks and the fret ends poke out just enough to notice. A week or two later, its back to normal.

That's what our "unique" climate up here will do, I guess.

zowenso

Reaction score
Yup totally. Humid as heck in the summer and dry and cold in the winter. I’m over it Hahaha. What state are you in?

Last edited:

Lungo

Reaction score
I received guitars in Alaska in the winter when it was -20. A few hours were enough for acclimation.

Wailing

Reaction score
Listen to the sustain !!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

zowenso

Reaction score
Hahaha. Sadly I haven’t yet. But tonight we have a date lol.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Serious question here, not my usual smart-ass comment -

I kinda understand the let it acclimate process.
It's wood and under tension.
Humidity & temperature differences between point of origin and "your house" can be drastically different. Tuning it would be a pain until it "acclimates".

But I live in the Pacific North West, beside a river. If I leave an acoustic or other guitar in its stand for 6 months, it can be out of tune by almost 50 cent. I don't think this is hazardous to my players.

What is all this talk about "rather be safe than sorry" ???
What's going to happen ???
Is there a bunch of purple text I missed.
I don't get it.

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
If it's Gibson nitro, there is so much plasticizer in it, you probably could open it immediately with no issue but a few hours will do.

Latest Threads